Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6461 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 1 of 3
02 November 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been able to find an existing thread on Sir William Jones in the Polyglots-forum, but I think he definitely deserves one.

According to Wikipedia:
"The young William Jones was a linguistic prodigy, learning Greek, Latin, Persian, Arabic, Hebrew and the basics of Chinese writing at an early age.[1] By the end of his life he knew thirteen languages thoroughly and another twenty-eight reasonably well, making him a hyperpolyglot."

He is famous for claiming that Sanskrit, Greek, and Latin share a common root, which can be seen as a starting point of historical linguistics. I also remember having read in a textbook that he seems to have been modest about his language skills, so I assume "reasonably well" actually means "reasonably well" in the description above, but unfortunately I can't remember where I read this. Does anybody have more information about the languages he knew?

Edited by Fasulye on 19 November 2011 at 9:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
19 November 2011 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
For those readers who want to read more background information about him, here is my Wikipedia link:

Wikipedia: Biography of Sir William Jones

Fasulye

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5141 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 3 of 3
20 November 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
There exist several biographies of him. Some examples:

Garland Cannon - The Life and Mind of Oriental Jones: Sir William Jones, the Father of Modern Linguistics

Michael J. Franklin - 'Orientalist Jones': Sir William Jones, Poet, Lawyer, and Linguist, 1746-1794

There is also a compendium of his work as print on demand:

William Jones - The Works of Sir William Jones. 13 vols.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version