Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5428 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 33
03 November 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
We all know there are people, on this forum and elsewhere, who speaks large numbers of languages well. None of these people seem to be what most would describe as "savants". Rather, they have (as far as I can tell) worked very hard over many years to reach
admirable levels. Which brings me back to the issues of language savants. If they do exist, then where are they?

The one example I often hear of it Daniel Tammet. However, there are some doubts about his story in the memory community (of which he was once a member). So, are there are other examples of language savants?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 33
03 November 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Daniel Tammet did a really good job of learning Icelandic is a very short time. I'd be really curious to see how the members of this forum would perform if they had access to a full-time teacher for an entire week the way he did, but he certainly didn't fail to meet the challenge.

This is provided he had absolutely no prior knowledge or preparation in the language, which is not obvious or unquestionable from the video I watched. It's also quite obvious that some of the answers were rehearsed.

Edited by Arekkusu on 03 November 2011 at 4:29pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5428 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 33
03 November 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Daniel Tammet did a really good job of learning Icelandic is a very short time.

It was certainly great to see him having a basic conversation after a week, and maybe it was indeed down to some savant super-powers. I do note, however, that before his savant-based fame, his
own mini-autobiography claimed he learned his first languages (French and German) using standard memory tricks.

This is why I am interested in hearing of other language savants, who have not used any standard memorization techniques and have achieved results which are outside the reach of such techniques.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 33
03 November 2011 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
This is why I am interested in hearing of other language savants, who have not used any standard memorization techniques and have achieved results which are outside the reach of such techniques.

"Results outside of the reach of such techniques" would imply better results than Tammet, in a shorter time. How much more would you expect a savant to learn in less than 7 days?

Personally, I would love to see a savant who can actually learn near-native pronunciation in a short period of time.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 33
03 November 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I have a documentary on savants in German on DVD, where among other savants one male savant is presented who reads the newpapers in about 20 languages and has a large range of vocabulary, but cannot speak those languages and shows no interest in using his languages for communication. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of this language savant.

GEO kompakt DVD: "Die Superbegabten" - Was wir von Rechengenies, Sprachkünstlern und Klaviervirtuosen lernen können.

The magazine which includes this DVD is called "Geo kompakt Nr. 28": "Intelligenz, Begabung, Kreativität" is still on sale here in Germany.

For more info on the savants have a look on Geo's website (in German):

Geo kompakt DVD: Die Superbegabten

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 November 2011 at 6:14pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 33
03 November 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I have watched the same series about 'superbrains' both on TV and on Youtube, and Tammet was in my mind the most impressive. There was another savant (the one mentioned by Fasulye) who could read a number of languages both upwards and downwards, but there was no evidence that he also could speak those languages. And then I have read about a few other savants on the internet.. but all in all it amounts to the same 4 or 5 persons who are mentioned every time.

Maybe savants are more likely to develop calendrical and artistic skills than linguistic skills?

Edited by Iversen on 15 November 2011 at 2:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5770 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 33
03 November 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
The term "savant" is usually used to refer to someone with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD). One of the symptoms of ASDs is difficulty in communication and social interaction.

The idea of a linguistic savant seems kind of unlikely. Which always made me wonder about Tammet. I was willing to let the stuff from the memory community pass as sour grapes, but one thing got me thinking...

One poster on obsoletenetwork pointed out that Tammet told Richard and Judy that he can't understand metaphors... but when he learnt Icelandic, he created metaphors of his own. Which doesn't really compute.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 33
03 November 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
The term "savant" is usually used to refer to someone with an autistic spectrum disorder (ASD). One of the symptoms of ASDs is difficulty in communication and social interaction.

In the DVD - documentary about savants I quoted in my post above it is said that so far there are about 100 known savants worldwide and that about 50 % of them are autists. There are many more male savants than female savants.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 November 2011 at 7:58pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version