16 messages over 2 pages: 1
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5781 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 16
10 November 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
What they don't mention is what happens when an emergency occurs and there is no one present to translate. The lack of English then can be life threatening. Granted, that is not the focus of the article.

Edited by Snowflake on 10 November 2011 at 5:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5907 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 16
10 November 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
That's why it doesn't suprise me when non-English speakers don't move out from their native communities. Nobody wants to be caught in an unpleasant situation where they can't communicate. It's all about support. This Mr. Sanchez and Mr. Zhang have been able to capitalize on it.

Just a quick note on the migrant issue: I've never considered myself one, but I guess I am. My family have done our best to assimilate and adapt. But dealing with life in a different language sometimes wears you down faster than it would in your own language, especially when everybody around you seems to have fewer problems getting what they want. All I can say is I've now experienced life on both sides and it's a real eye-opener.

I think it's remarkable that Mr. Sanchez and Mr. Zhang were able to conduct business on such a rudimentary level. It reminds me what I've seen here, too. I do freelance work for a company that conducts international business in --very broken-- English. Companies do everything with their intranet programming these days. Amazing!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5781 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 16
10 November 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Someone can be in a situation within their native community and still be at risk. I have stories from within my family where that happened, with unpleasant results.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6094 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 16
11 November 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I strongly suspect this is very much the exception, not the rule. By and large, immigrants who do not learn the dominant language are stuck in linguistic enclaves and with not very remunerative jobs.
3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6094 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 14 of 16
14 November 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
What they don't mention is what happens when an emergency occurs and there is no one present to translate. The lack of English then can be life threatening. Granted, that is not the focus of the article.

I remember an episode of the US hospital drama ER where a Hispanic couple's child died of an overdose of medication because they read the word once on the medicine bottle instructions for dosage as meaning "eleven", which is its meaning in Spanish. Fictional TV, but based on real cases?

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5095 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 15 of 16
14 November 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I remember that episode too - I wonder if such a thing could really happen. Bearing in
mind that the rest of the label would be printed in English, I wonder if you would really
cling to the one word that looked familiar? Possibly.

It was an interesting argument for multi-lingual instructions. I mean, if your dishwasher
comes with instructions in six languages and shampoo bottle with three, why should
medicines only have one language printed on them? (Apart from the obvious reason that
they're only available in one country, of course!)

Edited by July on 14 November 2011 at 9:57pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6094 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 16 of 16
15 November 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
July wrote:
I remember that episode too - I wonder if such a thing could really happen. Bearing in
mind that the rest of the label would be printed in English, I wonder if you would really
cling to the one word that looked familiar? Possibly.

It was an interesting argument for multi-lingual instructions. I mean, if your dishwasher
comes with instructions in six languages and shampoo bottle with three, why should
medicines only have one language printed on them? (Apart from the obvious reason that
they're only available in one country, of course!)

If the dosage was given in bold type and the rest not, perhaps.

I once accompanied a Turkish woman to hospital in the ambulance after she collapsed while on a visit to Britain to see her son. I acted as interpreter until someone more qualified was found. Most of what I said was reassurance to her, and basic explanation to the doctor/paramedic of what had happened and her symptoms. The vulnerability of being taken ill in a foreign country whose language you don't speak was certainly brought home to me.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version