104 messages over 13 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 12 13 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 73 of 104
10 December 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Fazah can claim what he want, he isn't misleading anybody... I don't get the problem
with
this LET US SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH IT MUST BE EXPOSED kind of
thing around polyglots.

I recently upgraded my Swedish status to speaks and I bet you every Swede could find
about 10 things that are wrong with my Swedish. But that doesn't stop it from being
Swedish. Or me speaking it. Or it not being a harmful claim. Should I not claim I speak
Swedish just because I might make mistakes or get rusty?

If I say I speak 58 languages, what does that tell you? You don't know my definition
of "speak", and besides, even if I did, what does it matter to you? If he wants
attention, the best way to solve that is to leave him alone; if he's honest, then let
him be. There's no need to burst his bubble just because someone needs to be a truth
warrior on the internet. Haven't you got better things to do, like, I don't know,
finishing crossword puzzles, climb a tree, etc?

Edited by Fasulye on 03 February 2013 at 7:18pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4775 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 74 of 104
10 December 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Haven't you got better things to do, like, I don't know,

Which begs the question whether you have better things to do yourself?

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :-P

Peace! :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 75 of 104
10 December 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Of course not.
4 persons have voted this message useful

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4221 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 76 of 104
10 December 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
So if I say that I am the world's best exercise physiologist and can help you get to the olympics, you wouldn't ask for my qualifications or proof of my knowledge? If I am making a living off of it, I would expect some scrutiny.

Again, I wouldn't care if he made these claims just for the heck of it, it's his prerogative. However, if he is making money of these claims, that is another thing. I can't believe that you don't see the problem with this. :(

tarvos wrote:
Fazah can claim what he want, he isn't misleading anybody... I don't get the problem
with
this LET US SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH IT MUST BE EXPOSED kind of
thing around polyglots.

I recently upgraded my Swedish status to speaks and I bet you every Swede could find
about 10 things that are wrong with my Swedish. But that doesn't stop it from being
Swedish. Or me speaking it. Or it not being a harmful claim. Should I not claim I speak
Swedish just because I might make mistakes or get rusty?

If I say I speak 58 languages, what does that tell you? You don't know my definition
of "speak", and besides, even if I did, what does it matter to you? If he wants
attention, the best way to solve that is to leave him alone; if he's honest, then let
him be. There's no need to burst his bubble just because someone needs to be a truth
warrior on the internet. Haven't you got better things to do, like, I don't know,

Edited by Fasulye on 03 February 2013 at 7:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 77 of 104
10 December 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
If you are actually misled, and pay a lot of money for it, I see that it can be considered to be bordering on fraud. We do however seem to have a case of two categories of people here. Those who feel convinced that they have nothing to learn from them, and would not spend a dime, and those who take lessons from him, and tend to be satisfied.

Now if we were to have a string of disgruntled customers, I suppose there would be every reason under the sun to scrutinize every claim. So far there does not seem to be any complaints, though.

Personally I had a very pleasent conversation with him in 5 differents languages, for which he did not charge me. I would of course recommend all those who take language class from someone to verify their credentials, but that is a general advice.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 78 of 104
10 December 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
If you don't believe him, don't pay if he's offering a service you don't find worth the
money. But he's not even doing that.

I don't get your problem.

tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4074 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 79 of 104
01 February 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone

This guy is very controversial. I sent him some e-mails asking him POLITELY about his methodology, rather than the performance on the Chilean TV and he never replied. So I set up an alias Bogdan Ovic from Croatia and asked him, whether he would help me with my Spanish (which I'm actually learning) and he did reply:

Dear Bogdan, I have already received your email. I can teach you Spanish on Skype. Indeed, you can have two classes weekly. It means that you have to pay 200,00 euros monthly related to 8 classes.Thus, if you are interested, please, let me know in advance. Thanks.          ;           ;           ;           ;           ; Best Regards,        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p; Professor. Ziad Fazah

200 euros for 8 lessons from someone whose claims had been debunked long time ago and someone who can't even write in English properly (his website http://ziadfazah.com.br/indexi.php ) is a little too much. So I turned him down and asked him to wait a week or month and he didn't care enough to reply.

This doesn't sound like someone very down to earth and a sweet person. The only person who actually takes his side is someone called David Maswary who claims to learn 3 languages in a week and identifies Persian as a Semitic language.

Ziad also sent me some lines in Croatian, but I don't speak it, so I can't judge if there are any mistakes at all.

Poštovani Bogdan, Već sam primio vaš email.Ja mogu vas naučiti španjolski na Skype.Ali ćete morati platiti 200,00 eura mjesečno. Nakon prve klase, ja ću vam poslati adresu banke kako bi se spojiti novac. Hvala unaprijed.

Now I have seen his videos and he did manage to speak some languages really well, after all that he's been through he never apologized and ceased to claim he spoke 58 languages or that he learned them in 3 months. Like all of them...

P.S. Don't you know what happened to his videos? Did he delete them?

J. White
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6138 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 104
02 February 2013 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
You asked him for free language help when you knew he charges for that service. He never replied. Then you asked him his rate, you didn't agree with it, and then he never sent you another email. I don't find his reactions odd at all.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version