tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4096 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 89 of 104
04 February 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I have been thinking about it and suddenly it all clicks.

Anyway if he really wanted to be successful in business, then he should have learned maybe 5 languages fluently including their business add-ons and he could've be better off by now. Learning so many languages was his downfall that has taken him nearly all his life and many employers might have turned him down for "bragging" or an incompetence in all of his languages. I mean if you want to conduct business today, all you need is English , but not on a level like : "Indeed, I am the biggest multilingual".

His life had to be interesting, but now when he's old he has to look back and think what if...
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 90 of 104
04 February 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Don't knock a man for his dream, nor for trying to make a living. We all have bills to pay.

I can confirm that part of his motivation was to to become rich, famous and successful.Isn't that what most people want? Particularly these days when everyone wants to be a star? Remember that he was just a young boy when he started out with this. We can all have an opinion of what the "right" way of studying languages. or the "right" motivation is, but in my view that is an individual question. We have no right to judge other people for their reasons for studying a language, or 10 or 58.

And please don't believe that studying only languages can't get you a job. All I have ever studied have been languages, and I have been unemployed for the exact time of one month - in July - and even then I worked some of the days in that month.

I have been a teacher, a guide, an interpreter (extremely briefly) and I have worked in a state company in their international office for more than 20 years, and I have used my languages, and gotten paid for using those languages every single day of my life for more than 30 years now. I have not become rich and famous, but that was never my dream either. I just had a need to learn languages, like some people have a need to become a writer.

We all have different needs, and different motivations, and this is a place were we should nurture and support each other, and not criticise. Like I said in the beginning here, I have had two conversations with Ziadh Fazah, I did not ask him to teach me anything, he did not ask for anything but the conversation. We had a pleasent conversation between equals, and laughed and had a good time. I treated him with respect, and I got nothing but sweetness and respect back.

If I had been called up by a bunch of people who insisted on seeing if I was a fraud, and wanted my time for free, I would probably have asked for money in the end too. We all have a limited amount of time, and we are free to decide how we want to spend that time. If you are 18 and your bills are being footed by your parents you can afford to just hang around and spend your time however you want. He has a family to provide for, and has the right to do what he needs to do. Then it is up to each and every one to see whether what he offers fit them or not.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 04 February 2013 at 11:07am

10 persons have voted this message useful

tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4096 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes

Message 91 of 104
04 February 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Well there are always going to be a lot of people (usually mono or bilingual) who are trigger happy about pointing out the simplest of mistakes when it comes to polyglots in order to feel better about themselves.

"This guy/girl speaks 10 languages, let's mock his/her accent or the wrong choice of tenses..."

But I personally don't think Ziad has pi**ed people off with his claims, but with more with his overall attitude towards them. There's a certain amount of upkeep needed, but if you spend at least 3 months with a language, you should be able to answer the questions in Russian and Hindi on that Chilean TV show. Not all the questions were easy and I gotta admit that, but he could say : понедельник or at least "No me acuerdo cómo se dice esa palabra en ruso, pero hoy es lunes." He couldn't even identify it as Russian and it doesn't really matter if the video was edited and he could have answered correctly to several other speakers...

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 92 of 104
05 February 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Tiger,

I asked him once and he told me flat out he's not terribly interested in languages anymore. He told me not to follow in his footsteps to learn so many languages, and to not make a career based solely on languages.

He is not a linguist by any means. He learned languages because he thought they would be the key to financial success, and he's been extremely disappointed that that hasn't been the case.

If you speak with him, you'll see that he's an individual who is very concerned about money, in the sense that I think it worries him. Based on things that DavidM has said on this forum, and by corresponding with Ziad himself, I'd wager that Ziad's financial situation is insecure, hence his attitude towards the classes.
I've never believed learning make languages would make me rich or even get me any job at all, unless I wanted to be a translator or interpreter. I would see them as a secondary job skill, something that might look good on a CV, but if I got to around B2/C1 level.

The problem I have with much of the criticism of Ziad Fazah is that it is based in unrealistic assumptions. I think at one point he did claim to be the the greatest living multilingual, which only led to ridiculously high expectations that no one could meet, but I'm not surprised that he doesn't know all 50+ languages he has learned to the same level. I believe that at some time in his life he may have decided to focus on improving the languages he uses on a regular basis and drop most of the others

Edited by mick33 on 05 February 2013 at 12:36am

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 93 of 104
05 February 2013 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
It was mentioned in another thread - possibly the now closed main thread about Ziad - that Ziad said that he found one maxes out after learning a certain number of languages, in terms of money one might make. Naturally, having some language skills can't hurt you at all in the job market, but his point was by learning 4 or even 10 you'll be making as much extra as you would with 50+ simply because most of those languages won't be used at all, plus you must take into account the investment of time and money on learning them.

It was the folly (or passion?) of youth, most likely. His notions about making money with languages make sense to me, since as I mentioned, it made since to me, too, back when I was in middle and high school, back when I thought I wanted to be a translator or interpreter. (In some article Ziad said that this was a goal of his, as well, to work as a linguist at the UN.)

tiger
United Kingdom
Joined 4096 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes

Message 94 of 104
05 February 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Let's end this discussion, before it gets to another bashing with : "Ziad is an inspiration, but also a bad example."

HMS
England
Joined 4888 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 95 of 104
08 February 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
How incredibly sad! - A polyglot being reduced to analysis by what to me appears as something scoring quite high on the Aspergers spectrum.

How would Mezzofanti fair on here were he alive today?

He'd be ridiculed and probably banned wihin a week.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 96 of 104
08 February 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Tiger sounds like a troll. He / she comes on this forum, bashes Ziad Fazah in a couple
posts, and when the community defends Ziad we get "let's end this discussion."

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version