Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 65 of 104
25 April 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5a6ab3b4-3c0d-11dd-9cb2-0000779fd2 ac.html#ixzz1t2Xv5tJZ

First Person: Ziad Fazah

As told to Ed Hammond

Published: June 21 2008 02:27 | Last updated: June 21 2008 02:27

I had been living in Brazil for two years when soldiers came to my home and ordered me to come with them. It was 1973, and the country was under a military dictatorship. As the jeep rumbled through the darkness I felt sick with fear; I thought I was being arrested as a spy.

At a police station in Porto Alegre I learnt that it was the CIA who had had me picked up. They showed me photographs of me going about my business and said they had been following me for some time. They wanted to know why a 20-year-old from Lebanon was fluent in Russian and Chinese and, more importantly, who was I working for? I wasn’t working for anyone, not in their sense – I was just really good at languages.

I was 11 years old when I realised I had a gift for languages. It was 1964, and my parents and I had moved to Beirut from Liberia. I was starting to learn English in school.

Within three months I had learnt the language completely and was hungry to learn another. Something in me had been awoken. At home I would be up before anyone else and at night I would be the one closing the curtains. Within six months I learnt French, German and Armenian; before the school year ended I was fluent in all the Scandinavian languages as well.

At this time there was a bookshop in Beirut where you could buy language guides and tapes for all the languages of the world. Whenever I had any money I would buy as many guides as I could, building my own methodology for learning. It was very simple. First I’d listen to the tapes, which allowed me to get to grips with the phonetic of the language. I could master this within a few days. Next I’d study the grammar, which was more time-consuming – especially if there was a new alphabet to learn – but would allow me to express myself even in complicated situations.

Within three months I’d have mastered a new tongue – writing, speaking, reading and listening. This system for learning meant that I was able to tackle three languages at a time and master them over a period of three months.

During my teens word began to get out that I had a special talent. The Chinese consul challenged me to learn Mandarin, saying it was impossible for anyone to conquer the language in three months.

Three months later, I telephoned him, in Mandarin of course, and he could not believe that it was me. He even asked me to visit him so that he could speak to me in his language – and to his complete shock I could converse perfectly.

But my language skills have not always brought good things. When I was 16 three men contacted me, saying that they were from the Palestine Liberation Organisation, that they were planning to hijack Israeli aircraft – and they wanted me to be their interpreter. When I said no they gave me 48 hours to change my mind. I was lucky: one of my brother’s friends knew people in the PLO, and they caught these guys and punished them.

A few years later a man claiming to be from Mossad, the Israeli national intelligence agency, asked if I would work for them. I turned him down and swiftly left Lebanon to start a new life in Brazil.

Now I’m a language teacher and have been settled in Rio de Janeiro for 30 years – despite earlier hiccups in Brazil like the CIA having me picked up. I have slowed down the rate at which I learn new languages. I want to pick up some dialects of the smaller Pacific islands, but for now it’s a lot of work just to keep from getting rusty in the 59 languages I already speak.

I just hope the FBI won't swarm me now.

Edited by Midnight on 25 April 2012 at 10:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 66 of 104
25 April 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Thank you for posting this. It is published in 2008, and I belive that in the meantime he has realized that he has become rusty in some of them.

When I have spoken with him, he has shown fluency in German, English, Italian, French and Spanish, and I take it for granted that he is absolutely fluent in Portuguese and his native Arabic. He did however admit that his Norwegian was too rusty to speak in it, even though he wrote me some sentences in it by e-mail. I would imagine the same goes for many of the other languages he uses very seldom.

Again it boils down to a definition of fluency - are you fluent if you can at any time "sing a lullaby and discuss foreign politics in your target language while hung over" or are you fluent if you have learned and to a certain extent forgotten, but can quikly regain fluency after going over the language for a couple of weeks. The general consesus on the forum - and I include myself in there - is closer to the first than to the second. But perhaps we are too demanding?

I see myself that even with the very limited amount of languages I speak, I do get rusty, and languages I have spoken for years suddenly disappear if I do not get to practise them - Italian being the most noticable example. I can still speak it well enough to say I can speak it, but not anywhere near the level I was at 25 years ago.

But I would like to remind you all again - that he is not pushing his opinion on us here on the forum, nor writes angry posts to those who disagree with him. For those who find inspiration in his web site, that is a good thing. For those who don't - well hey - you have the most awesome forum ever - the HTLAL at your disposal :-) Do you have any idea how lucky you are?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 67 of 104
25 April 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
You're welcome and I think you're right about him not ganging up on us with his wild wild claims like some others are. But one thing is getting rusty in a language you speak fluently or at intermediate level and whole another kettle of fish to claim you speak language you don't. I don't doubt he's studied all of them, but I'm sure he didn't spread his focus equally. I think it would be probably impossible for him to make videos in Khmer, Cypriot Greek or even Singlish now. I'm not asking for it either, but when one makes such high-end claims, he's to expect the consequences including demanding some kind of evidence. I think that even after another 20 years of not speaking Italian you could answer a question like: "Che giorno è oggi?"

Mario: Che giorno è oggi?
Grandson/daughter: What did he say?
Solfrid: Where did I learn Italian and how come I absorbed it with such ease.

Edited by Midnight on 25 April 2012 at 12:02pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 68 of 104
25 April 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
You're welcome and I think you're right about him not ganging up on us with his wild wild claims like some others are. But one thing is getting rusty in a language you speak fluently or at intermediate level and whole another kettle of fish to claim you speak language you don't. I don't doubt he's studied all of them, but I'm sure he didn't spread his focus equally. I think it would be probably impossible for him to make videos in Khmer, Cypriot Greek or even Singlish now. I'm not asking for it either, but when one makes such high-end claims, he's to expect the consequences including demanding some kind of evidence. I think that even after another 20 years of not speaking Italian you could answer a question like: "Che giorno è oggi?"

Mario: Che giorno è oggi?
Grandson/daughter: What did he say?
Solfrid: Where did I learn Italian and how come I absorbed it with such ease.

Thanks for a good laugh! I gave you a vote for that one! I actually just talked with an Italian friend on Saturday, who claimed he was so impressed that my Italian was as good as ever. Of course he had just heard med for three sentences,and could not appreciate just how much I have lost, but I still don't think I would have done that one :-) However, if I was on TV with millions of spectators, didn't hear properly what was said, and was speaking not one of my 5 but one of my 50 languages - who knows what might have happened. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4273 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 69 of 104
04 October 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
Indeed. Sheesh now I'm beginning to sound like him. I thought English had been one of
the languages he could get by. Maybe he was too lazy to translate. On the other hand he could've used the
GT output in his other languages as well. What I'm more curious about is how is he going to teach Czech
for example. When I exchanged a few e-mails with him, he told me he hadn't spoken it for years and so I
wonder how can he take new students which might find interest in it. Well my Russian and Polish are very
basic, but his videos are not really well put. He said something like: Я изучал порусский язык. Since when
is the language called Porussian. His Vietnamese, Mandarin, Hindi and Hebrew are very accented and
therefore I'm not sure if comprehensible at all. I'll stop bashing this person and others (I heard You-know-
who is learning languages from Wikipedia, I almost die laughing) , because I'll have to focus on my own
language journey, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

I'd just like to comment that there is nothing wrong from learning from Wikipedia. I think Wikipedia is one of
the symbols of cooperation in human society as whole, and is great reference in general.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 70 of 104
04 October 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
(I heard You-know-
who is learning languages from Wikipedia, I almost die laughing) , because I'll have to focus on my own
language journey, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Duke100782 wrote:
I'd just like to comment that there is nothing wrong from learning from Wikipedia. I think Wikipedia is one of
the symbols of cooperation in human society as whole, and is great reference in general.

I also don't see that this is so funny. As a language-learning tool it's brilliant. You can read about something in a language you understand so you can get the gist of it. Then the you can probably re-read the article in your target language.

In this case Wikipedia's facts need not be called into question: it's simply being used as a tool. It's free, and it is highly multilingual.

Pranksters and trolls notwithstanding, I also suspect its contributors are passionate about the availability of information and thus make an effort to write something that is as accurate as possible. Nothing is perfect, but I would never discourage someone from using it to practice a language.

It bears mentioning that newspapers and novels aren't always the most factual sources out there.
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4915 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 71 of 104
04 October 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Duke100782 wrote:

I'd just like to comment that there is nothing wrong from learning from Wikipedia. I
think Wikipedia is one of
the symbols of cooperation in human society as whole, and is great reference in
general.

On the other hand, I'e never found learning from reference materials all that
effective.
Being available as a reference after having initially learned something? Absolutely.
But
for initial learning, encyclopedic reference material has never done it for me,
personally.

EDIT: After reading Journeyer's reply, I think I misunderstood your use of reference.
If you're reading an article written in the target language, I *do* find that useful.
But I understood "reference" as "grammar/language reference". Sorry.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 04 October 2012 at 7:13am

justonelanguage
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4247 days ago

98 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish

Message 72 of 104
10 December 2012 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Old thread but I really dislike arrogance, especially when the evidence says that it is unfounded arrogance. Also, I'm sorry if this post is mean-spirited but it is definitely not the intent.

Mr. Fazah started learning English as a child, apparently. Also, it is unarguably the most influential language in the entire world. Thus, it is likely that he would have studied/practiced English more than many of the other 58 languages. A poor accent is certainly forgivable; not everybody is capable of imitating native-speech. However, the text that I've seen him write as well as simple videos conducted in English make me doubt even his English ability. It is very hard to understand and I strain to get the meaning of some sentences.

I would have nothing against him but when he says that he "continues being the greatest living polyglot", I expect much more. Shouldn't we be more skeptical and more realistic? He said that he learned 58/59 languages in 3 years, that is a rate of one language every ~2.6 weeks.

Recently, I met a rather confident north European native (He is from a country that typically speaks their native language and also English, not Switzerland, however) that lives in the US. Though overweight, he told me that he ran a 4 minute mile in High School. Interesting enough, that would have made him one of about ~15 american high schoolers in the HISTORY of the US to accomplish such a feat. He said that he ran the 5K in 17 minutes, which confirms his lie--any 4 minute miler would run a 5K in about 14-14:30. Without me asking, he proceeds to tell me that he speaks 5 languages fluently; he learned Cantonese not by traveling to China or studying it, but because he has a friend from Hong Kong. If it quacks like a duck...

Putting polygots or even humble diglots to the test is, in my opinion, not warranted unless they make very strong claims and are profiting from those claims. I wouldn't care about Mr. Fazah if he didn't have books on language learning or made such strong statements about his language prowess.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
This evening I spoke to Ziad Fazah. The real Ziad Fazah. I was so disappointed when a fake one turned up a couple of weeks ago, that another member of the forum kindly asked me if I would like to speak with Ziad Fazah myself, I said yes of course, and after an initial e-mail exchange, we agreed that I call him this evening and we ended up speaking for 40 minutes.

Everyone who have spoken to him before, have underlined what a kind and gentle man he is, and I can only agree to that. I had planned to ask him a gazillion questions, but he asked me so much about myself, that I only got to ask him a few.

We talked in Spanish, English, French, German and Italian, and he said a few words to me in Norwegian and Russian. He is fluent in Spanish, English and French, and both his German and Italian was better than mine as far as grammar and vocabulary goes. He had written an e-mail to me in Norwegian, but he said he needed to refresh it before he could talk it actively, and that he was happy to have occasion to practice it with me when he had done so. The shortness of our Russian conversation was due to the fact that I am not functional in Russian, so I only understood about half of what he said. As far as I understood, the languages we spoke in, plus Portuguese and Arabic are the only languages he uses on a regular basis, so he needs some time to go over his other languages before he could use them actively. When I asked him, he confirmed that he spoke 59 languages.

We agreed to talk again, and I must say it was a pleasure to speak to him. He mentioned the Chile-video, and said that he had been told that he would be interviewed in Spanish only, and would not be asked to speak any other languages, and got the shock of his life when people from many languages he did not use on a daily basis were there to quiz him. He also said that he was asked to come again later, and that this time everything went well, but that that video of course was not posted on the internet.

I am full of impressions now, but will write more of what we talked about tomorrow. I will call him again, and will hopefully be able to ask him more. If any of you have any questions you would like to ask him, I can pass them on.

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version