United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4781 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 9 of 15
13 November 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I defiantly think frequency can have an effect on learning - especially when younger. But
still even as you get older I think the frequency someone speaks at can have an effect.
For example if someone is talking outside where I live I always pick up on it and hear it
(which is very annoying for me sometimes), however if it was just a television playing or
something I probably wouldn't hear it, or at least not unless it was playing a lot louder
than someone actually talking.

I guess its similar to dogs and dolphins etc in a way.
1 person has voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6687 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 15
13 November 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
So I came across this article about high-frequency sound playing a role in carrying information in speech. And towards the end I catch this little quote:

Quote:
studies in kids have shown that they learn new words three times more quickly if they hear recordings that range up to 9,000 Hz instead of 4,000 Hz.

300% is a pretty significant result. Does this affect us? How far into the high frequencies does the audio on common language learning material go?

I came across a language programme the other day that claimed it pitched words at frequencies especially designed to increase chances of it being learned, I wish I could remember it.

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5364 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 15
15 November 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Guys, this is about sound frequency, not sampling frequency. (Human ears would have a hard time to hear anything close to 20k.)

The original research article (thanks to Dr. Monson for the reference) is

http://jslhr.asha.org/cgi/content/full/51/3/785

The relevant paragraph is "Number of Exposures Required for Learning". The abbreviations used in there: NH for normal hearing, HL for hearing loss. Cutting off the high frequency part of a speech makes fricative phonemes hard to recognize. Adults have less problems because of better use of context, but probably not in learning a foreign language.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4687 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 15
15 November 2011 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
yong321 wrote:
Guys, this is about sound frequency, not sampling frequency. (Human ears would have a hard time to hear anything close to 20k.)

Sampling frequency limits the top sound frequency that is captured and reproduced, so sampling frequency of digital recording IS relevant.

Frequencies above 20K still affect the shape of the wave. It's not which high frequency in isolation that matters, but the harmonic contribution it makes to the wave shape.

yong321
Groupie
United States
yong321.freeshe
Joined 5364 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 

Message 13 of 15
15 November 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Fiziwig,

I agree sampling frequency is relevant to learning a foreign language. But my point is, that's not what the research article is about. Ari (the OP) is asking about "high-frequency sound". But later messages seem to be talking about sampling frequency, which the quoted article has not done any research on.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5382 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 15
17 November 2011 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
The paper linked by yong321 wrote:
The "nonsense" words used in the experiment were
Sothnud    sa{theta}n{schwa}d
Doztul     dazt{schwa}l
Fosnush    fasn{schwa}esh
Stomun     stam{schwa}n
Homtul     hamt{schwa}l

So they have been deliberately created with frictive consonants and similar syllable structure to be easily confused.

So for language learners the figure of 300% would not apply generally, and probably only apply to a handful of words.

It's only about confusion between those consonants, not about there being subconscious information in the high frequencies that make words generally easier to learn.

(Personally, I do find poor quality audio very frustrating, but I don't think it particularly relates to the high frequencies being missing.)

Edited by schoenewaelder on 17 November 2011 at 2:46am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 15
17 November 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
... I do find poor quality audio very frustrating, but I don't think it particularly relates to the high frequencies being missing.

Well, using hf-dropping equipment is just one way -an extremely widespread one BTW- to achieve poor quality audio.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version