359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 71
04 May 2007 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Nephilim wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone has heard whether or not his book has been published

Do you mean the "how to learn a language" book that he eludes to in some of his posts? I'd like to read that one too. Haven't heard anything though.

I found one book on Amazon called "Historical, Literary, and Cultural Approach to the Korean Language". I don't know if there are more.

I too hope he finds his way back. His posts are very informative and interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6904 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 58 of 71
04 May 2007 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
No Magnum, He was/is writing his own book on language learning based on his experience. Should be something worth reading. He mentioned it in one of his last posts -the administrator might be able to help here.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 71
04 May 2007 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
HERE are his latest posts, the penultimate post is located in this very thread (at the bottom of page 5).

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 60 of 71
16 September 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Administrator, you have offered to set up my own room where people could ask me questions in a grouped fashion. I love the name “Ardaschir’s Tree,” and I would love to gather polyglot-apprentices under that electronic tree in order to teach them about the art of polyglottery. Unfortunately, however, the name Ardaschir has been taken by son, so I would prefer not to use it here anymore and we will have to agree upon something more prosaic. At any rate, I would be greatly honored to have such a space, and if you were to create it for me, I have been thinking that I would like to use it to teach a formal set of courses on the subject matter. I believe many people find my posts helpful because what I write here is very much also what I do professionally. I am, after all, a professor of languages who teaches university classes in language learning, so why not do that formally and officially here? I could give a “lecture” each Sunday morning in which I present issues and themes in a structured and progressive course on polyglottery, and during the week the “students” in the “class” could discuss the material among themselves and write a considered collective group response, to which I in turn could reply before moving on to the next “lecture” the following week.

What is the status of my book on polyglottery? I revised the manuscript last semester as I used it as the course book in a theoretical class, and I plan on either doing so further, or rather simply rewriting the entire thing this semester as I teach a linguistics practicum on finding one’s own learning style and developing efficient study habits. I am not sure I would feel comfortable making a draft version available as I would then have to worry about my intellectual property rights. This site would seem to be an ideal location to post the chapters in order to get the kind of critique I need to revise them, but referring to the terms of registration for this forum, by posting them here, I would be giving up the right to publish them under my own name, and so I am obviously unwilling to do that.

Speaking of publications, since losing touch with the forum I did finally publish another book that is probably and unfortunately somewhat difficult to obtain, but which would also probably be of use and interest to many members of this forum. It is an English French Spanish German Dictionary, published by Librairie du Liban in 2006 (ISBN 9953-86-056-4). It was supposed to get world-wide distribution, but it seems those plans were a casualty of war, though I imagine it is still available directly from the publisher.

Establishing my own kind of language center of some sort seems to be on the verge of crossing from a dream into a reality – at very least, the impetus is gathering momentum. Indeed, I have even discussed the matter with my financial advisor and she strongly encouraged it as a business endeavor, saying she knows some people who might be willing to provide some funds for it.

In closing for this week, and in response to the person who wondered if I was still in the San Francisco Bay Area and whether I would like to practice Russian with native speakers: yes, I am still here, and yes, I would like to do so. Indeed, may I assume that many forum members are familiar with Barry Farber’s How to Learn any Language? Pages 141-143 of the appendix are about a Language Club in New York City whose members meet to practice conversing in foreign languages. There must be a decent handful of forum members in the Bay Area: how would it be if we were to meet and form such a club?
English French Spanish German DictionaryHow to Learn any Language
4 persons have voted this message useful

Languagelover1
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6188 days ago

63 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 61 of 71
16 September 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Alexander, it is wonderful to have you back.

I read all your posts with great interest. They were so informative. I'm really looking forward to your book on
Polyglottery, I will definitely purchase it as soon as it is available. There are so few good books I've found on this
topic so your contribution is eagerly awaited.

I gave Assimil another try after your recommendation and I am coming to love this method of learning. I'm going to
work my way through the 'Romance' languages first. I'm studying Spanish this way and will learn French next, as
you recommended, so that it will open the door to many more languages in the Assimil range.

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I would love to take lessons with you in a weekly forum, this would be
amazingly useful. I hope whoever runs the site gets in touch with you soon to develop your idea.

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 62 of 71
17 September 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Alexander Arguelles wrote: "[...] may I assume that many forum members are familiar with Barry Farber's How to Learn any Language? Pages 141-143 of the appendix are about a Language Club in New York City whose members meet to practice conversing in foreign languages. There must be a decent handful of forum members in the Bay Area: how would it be if we were to meet and form such a club?"

The idea of a Language Club sounds great. Count me in!

Barry Farber's book has been discussed on this forum, but I do not have it to reference the specific pages (have just ordered a copy to remedy that). However, a Google search brought up the web page of a language club that lists Barry as the founder - The Language Club of Westchester: http://www.westchesterlanguageclub.org/index.htm The Club is a member of the Language Club Network at the Linguists' Federation: http://www.linguistsfederation.com/ The advantage of that membership seems to be the cross-club events, that are hosted every now and then.

Looks like this topic may require a thread of its own, if there is more interest on this forum, and/or if we start discussing the logistics of the first and subsequent meetings in the Bay Area.

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6213 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 63 of 71
17 September 2007 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
Administrator, you have offered to set up my own room where people could ask me questions in a grouped fashion. I love the name “Ardaschir’s Tree,” and I would love to gather polyglot-apprentices under that electronic tree in order to teach them about the art of polyglottery.

The concept is a brilliant one. I look forward to something being set up.

Quote:
Unfortunately, however, the name Ardaschir has been taken by son, so I would prefer not to use it here anymore and we will have to agree upon something more prosaic. At any rate, I would be greatly honored to have such a space, and if you were to create it for me, I have been thinking that I would like to use it to teach a formal set of courses on the subject matter. I believe many people find my posts helpful because what I write here is very much also what I do professionally. I am, after all, a professor of languages who teaches university classes in language learning, so why not do that formally and officially here? I could give a “lecture” each Sunday morning in which I present issues and themes in a structured and progressive course on polyglottery, and during the week the “students” in the “class” could discuss the material among themselves and write a considered collective group response, to which I in turn could reply before moving on to the next “lecture” the following week.

What is the status of my book on polyglottery? I revised the manuscript last semester as I used it as the course book in a theoretical class, and I plan on either doing so further, or rather simply rewriting the entire thing this semester as I teach a linguistics practicum on finding one’s own learning style and developing efficient study habits. I am not sure I would feel comfortable making a draft version available as I would then have to worry about my intellectual property rights. This site would seem to be an ideal location to post the chapters in order to get the kind of critique I need to revise them, but referring to the terms of registration for this forum, by posting them here, I would be giving up the right to publish them under my own name, and so I am obviously unwilling to do that.

I would suggest then posting your stuff on your own site maybe a blogging site would be suitable. We could still discuss things here on this forum.

As for draft publications could I suggest investigating www.lulu.com this is a special service that lets you print books on a one off print basis. You don't give up your rights at all but it could be excellent for producing copies for yourself or other people to check.

Quote:

Speaking of publications, since losing touch with the forum I did finally publish another book that is probably and unfortunately somewhat difficult to obtain, but which would also probably be of use and interest to many members of this forum. It is an English French Spanish German Dictionary, published by Librairie du Liban in 2006 (ISBN 9953-86-056-4). It was supposed to get world-wide distribution, but it seems those plans were a casualty of war, though I imagine it is still available directly from the publisher.

Establishing my own kind of language center of some sort seems to be on the verge of crossing from a dream into a reality – at very least, the impetus is gathering momentum. Indeed, I have even discussed the matter with my financial advisor and she strongly encouraged it as a business endeavor, saying she knows some people who might be willing to provide some funds for it.

In closing for this week, and in response to the person who wondered if I was still in the San Francisco Bay Area and whether I would like to practice Russian with native speakers: yes, I am still here, and yes, I would like to do so. Indeed, may I assume that many forum members are familiar with Barry Farber’s How to Learn any Language? Pages 141-143 of the appendix are about a Language Club in New York City whose members meet to practice conversing in foreign languages. There must be a decent handful of forum members in the Bay Area: how would it be if we were to meet and form such a club?
English French Spanish German DictionaryHow to Learn any Language

john234
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 64 of 71
18 September 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
I could give a “lecture” each Sunday morning in which I present issues and themes in a structured and progressive course on polyglottery, and during the week the “students” in the “class” could discuss the material among themselves and write a considered collective group response, to which I in turn could reply before moving on to the next “lecture” the following week.

Administrator, is it possible for you to go ahead and establish Alexander's tree (or the Professor Arguelles tree or whatever name you think appropriate for the room) so that Mr. Arguelles will have a place to post his first "lecture" or at least have one place to look at questions directed specifically to him when he returns on Sunday?

Mr. Arguelles, reading your biography at the beginning of this thread and your posts on Assimil and shadowing has helped me immensely. Thank you for sharing your experiences here, and I look forward to your future contributions.

Edited by john234 on 18 September 2007 at 8:23pm

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version