Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

More complex sound in primitive society?

Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4760 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 5
11 November 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Thi is a totally lay person's observation, but I was reading about the Ubykh language and it's astounding number of consonants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubykh_phonology

This lead me to this, somehow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadza_language

(it IS Wikipedia, so I guess this should be verified, but read this):

In 2003 the press widely reported suggestions by Alec Knight and Joanna Mountain of Stanford University that the original human language may have had clicks. The evidence for this is genetic: speakers of Juǀʼhoan and Hadza have the most divergent known mitochondrial DNA of any human populations, suggesting that they were the first, or at least among the first, surviving peoples to have split off the family tree. In other words, the three primary genetic divisions of humanity are the Hadzabe, the Juǀʼhoansi and relatives, and everyone else. Since two of the three groups speak languages with clicks, perhaps their common ancestral language, which by implication is the ancestral language for all humankind, had clicks as well.

If accurate as read, that is simply fascinating to me, specially that DNA stuff.

But, for the main point here: it seems that these "hunter-gatherer" languages, not just in Africa, but in Australasia, and the Americas, had EXTREMELY complex sounds and consonants: tons of affricates, glottals, velars and things that are unheard of in most IE languages like clicks, ejectives and stuff.

So, based on such "observations", does it not seem that the more substistence level the society, the more complex their sound system? Has there been any study or though on this, IF my inference is correct? I tried google but maybe I'm not picking the correct search words. Perhaps someone here has some reading material or even their own opinion on this. Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 5
11 November 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
I think it's down to contact with other languages, rather than being "primitive". Grammar is known to simplify from contact with other languages, and I suspect the same is true of phonology.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 5
11 November 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I think it's down to contact with other languages, rather than being
"primitive". Grammar is known to simplify from contact with other languages, and I
suspect the same is true of phonology.

What do you mean by simplifying grammar? The phonology can change, but simplify, I think.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4760 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 4 of 5
11 November 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I think it's down to contact with other languages, rather than being "primitive". Grammar is known to simplify from contact with other languages, and I suspect the same is true of phonology.

I think you misunderstood, I meant the form of living is more primitive. Amazon tribes, African bushmen, it's a more primitive existence no one could say otherwise.

Yet they have such complex phonologies for the most part, I guess what I am wondering is why is that and does it perhaps have a survival purpose to have such diverse sounds.

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4669 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 5
05 December 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
The process of evolution of languages is more visible in aglutination languages, in old Tupi, for example, many of the most common words are monosyllabic,examples:

a = head / round
    ã = shadow / ghost
    po = hand
    sy = mother / source
    u = food
    y = water, river

Concepts more complex like panema(unhealth) forms bigger words and the fusion of concepts make words even bigger.

Y(water) + panema(unhealth) = Sea water.

Its very common in Brazil to see names of cities or neighbourhoods which came from tupi and are huge, examples:

The city of Itaquaquecetuba: takûara + kesé + tyba (bamboo + knife + collective mark): where bamboo knives are made.

Umuarama (ũbuarama, from ũbu + arama): where the cacti will grow.

I seriously recomend this amazing article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupi_language

Edited by Carlucio on 05 December 2011 at 8:03am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version