73 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
tanya b
United States
Joined 4571 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 65 of 73
24 November 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I am impressed by the Armenians that I know, many of whom can switch back and forth between Armenian, Farsi, and Russian, very different from one another, seemingly without effort.   I once had a conversation with an American missionary from South Carolina, who spoke perfect Russian, with a nice Baltic accent, definitely not an American accent. VERY Impressive.   I am also impressed, no, actually jealous of any American who can speak Mandarin or Korean fluently. It's just not fair that someone can have that much mental firepower.
1 person has voted this message useful

adann
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4536 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 66 of 73
01 December 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
While living in China, im impressed by chinese speakers who speak good English even
though they were not English majors in school. I found out that these same people have
one thing in common, they watched a lot of american tv shows.

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4893 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 68 of 73
10 April 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I'm impressed by:
1. Tim Doner - the simple fact that he's 5 years younger than me but speaks 15 more languages a lot better
than I can, it's a lot more heart-warming to see someone as part of this "young generation" actually do
something useful and that they care about, instead of just getting into trouble and doing worthwhile.

2.People who speak various languages from various backgrounds and share their common interest.

3. People who speak English really well, especially because English is hard to learn - I know this as being a
teacher of English and seeing some students struggle, so it's a massive success in my view as a native speaker
and professional teacher to the people who have learned it well and can converse in the language.

4. People who just want to try. Trying is an important factor in any common part of life. As they say - if at
first you don't succeed, try and try again.

5. My neurologist doctor and psychologist. How they can work out my brain and what they can see from seeing
inside of my head without the use of actually having to cut my head open is beyond me. They've came up with
some theories that make sense to me and that I actually think are really interesting in connections to
language.

What doesn't impress me though is:
1. People who do things to show off - not just languages but in any circumstance.

2. People who make someone else feel bad about themselves and feel the need to talk them down.

3. People who think it's acceptable still in this modern day and age to have bullying in schools.

4. People who don't get the help and support they need.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 69 of 73
10 April 2014 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
I am always impressed by open minded, friendly, intelligent, studious, cosmopolitan people, who speak a language or two (or more...) with fluency and ease. I mean, in a way that you forget the language and you focus on a wonderful conversation with an interesting person. I also appreciate a good effort.

I am not impressed by people who are snobs (about their knowledge or their native language), who always complain about the difficulties of language learning not because they mean it but because they want you to be impressed by their genious, who are rude and narrow minded in general. How can you have a conversation with them in any language? Also, people who freak out about making a mistake: get over it and move on...

Edited by renaissancemedi on 10 April 2014 at 7:15am

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4368 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 70 of 73
31 May 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
I'm impressed by:
1. Tim Doner - the simple fact that he's 5 years younger than me but speaks 15 more languages a lot better
than I can, it's a lot more heart-warming to see someone as part of this "young generation" actually do
something useful and that they care about, instead of just getting into trouble and doing worthwhile.

I agree with you. I was watching an interview of a 13 year old boy who taught himself Icelandic to a very high
standard at a young age - that impressed me considering his parents were monolingual and his native language is
English.

biagio
Italy
Joined 5001 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 71 of 73
08 June 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm impressed by British journalist William Ward. Okay, he's got an accent when he speaks Italian, but his Italian is mostly flawless in terms of grammar and vocabulary (rather high register, I'd say), which I think cannot be said for the vast majority of native English speakers when they try to speak Italian. No offense, but often times they suck.

Edited by biagio on 12 June 2014 at 8:02pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 72 of 73
08 June 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm very easy to impress. But here are some things which impress me greatly!

1) Anyone who can spend more than 15 seconds in the same room with a grammar book and not projectile vomit.
2) Anyone who learns to speak a different language, even to A1 standard. Because they obviously aren't selfish.
3) People who do language "exchanges", and spend the whole time speaking in their native language just to help the other person.
4) The homeless guy in in Rome who spent an hour talking to me about his dogs. He bought them food with the money I gave him, and nothing for himself.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version