Joined 6979 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 16
17 November 2011 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I've been using a lot of materials in L2 (English or French) for my L3s. It does not slow me down at all because I am good at both the L2. This laddering method can be a good maintainance of the L2 but I would never try to use it for learning both L2 and L3 at once. It wouldn't be multitasking, it would be madness.

I've had no choice but to learn Saamic languages with material meant for Finns even while I'm still studying Finnish (My knowledge of Finnish is probably at high-beginner by now so I've been able to usually figure out the gist of instructions and explanations in my books of Saamic which also juxtapose Saamic examples with structural counterparts in Finnish where applicable).
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 16
17 November 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm considering using the French Assimil L'italien sans peine for learning Italian, although probably after building up a basic knowledge using English-based materials like Michel Thomas. I figured the L2-L3 thing might help because of the similarities between the languages and to help reinforce which things are similar and which are different between the two. I'll see how it goes, if I feel that it's inefficient or not as beneficial as I thought then I'll switch to the English book (I assume the Italian recordings are the same!). I'll report back, probably in my TAC 2012 log when that time comes around ;). The similarities between the languages is the main thing motivating the idea, if it were a non-Romance language then I wouldn't bother trying to learn it through French unless there were a particularly amazing course only available in French.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6688 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 11 of 16
18 November 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
I think using L2 to learn L3 is excellent. It forces you to use L2, reducing the chances of forgetting it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5834 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 16
18 November 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I'm considering using the French Assimil L'italien sans peine for learning Italian, ...
I'll see how it goes, if I feel that it's inefficient or not as beneficial as I thought then I'll switch to the English book (I assume the Italian recordings are the same!).

Here's how to check. Go to assimil.com and go to the catalogue. Put your target language in, but leave the mother tongue section at all languages.

Click through to the first language and add "CD audio only" to your cart. Go back, click through to the second language and again add "CD audio only" to your cart. If you've now got two of the same item in your cart, the CDs are the same. If you don't, they aren't.

In this case they aren't -- the English is the "New" one, but the French book is not "Nouveau". The French "nouveau" is online-only.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4681 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 16
27 November 2011 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
That depends a lot, for me , for example, is way easier to learn Mandarin from English than from portuguese or Spanish, the reason is very simple: There is much much more sources in English!

I always recommend to those who ask me how to learn a exotic language, get a good level on English first, then learn that language from English.

Edited by Carlucio on 27 November 2011 at 5:08am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6420 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 16
27 November 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
In my opinion, with closely related languages it's essential. Back when I was extremely enthusiastic about Karelian, I could only find materials for Russian speakers, hence everything looked familiar and simple and I just couldn't make myself go through this whole thing.
And when I finally found materials for Finnish speakers, my motivation wasn't as huge anymore:( However just by checking them I can tell that they will be extremely useful when I hopefully can start learning Karelian properly.

Even if the languages aren't related, this makes you psychologically more comfortable with the L2. compared to the new language, it's all familiar and homely.

I rated the effectiveness of this as ** in my Finnish profile. I learned very few new things about Finnish this way but it helped consolidate the knowledge.

Interestingly, I started Finnish when I already spoke intermediate German... then I went on to reach basic and now advanced fluency in Finnish, and at one point I even learned some German via Finnish! XD definitely nothing to be hesitant about, in my opinion.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6420 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 16
27 November 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
oh and with lernu and other multilingual resources, i think it's almost a crime to learn Esperanto through your L1 if you also have an L2 :)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5670 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 16
27 November 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Like for English there are plenty of language resources for German so there is no necessity at all for me to use L2 resources to learn L3, but I do this because it has the special fun-factor for me and it allows me to improve my advanced level foreign language automatically when I study my L3.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version