Diglot
United States
Joined 5574 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 17
18 November 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

When learning a new language (especially in a new language family) some words are stubborn and take maybe 20 impressions to learn well and others stick instantly the first time you see them. I'm talking about "brand new words" with no real link such as being a cognate.

I just started learning Polish and two examples that come to mind are chleb(bread) and chomik (hamster.) I wonder what kind of quality some words have that stick so quickly and without effort and if there is a technique to make these phenomenon work for all the other words.

EDIT:
P.S. Please reply with some words like this for you. Maybe we've had some shared experience with instantly remembered words.

Edited by Cattius on 19 November 2011 at 12:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6481 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 17
19 November 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Calamistrum is latin and means curling iron. I’ve known it since the first time I looked it up. I don’t know why it
stuck. I think that words have to look unique and not too similar to other words for being easily remembered.
Akkadian words for me are a nightmare because they _all_ en in -um if they’re nouns, verbs or adjectives (and a lot
of adverbs also end with -um) and many of them are very similar to eachother due to to the phonological
constraints of Akkadian. One exception that I felt stuck is the word gitmālum and it means noble.

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4890 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 3 of 17
19 November 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I actually find Akkadian words easy to remember because of the phonological
constraints. Languages with a lot more phonemes usually make it harder for me to really
make the words stick, as it mostly means that I'm more or less unaccustomed to the
sounds of the language. That's the reason why, I guess, Italian, Yiddish and Turkish
words are very easy for me to remember. Mandarin is also usually not too difficult, but
the tones take much more time. On the other hand, Arabic words often confuse me but
I've noticed that it's getting easier. So I guess that the point I want to make is that
words are more willing to get settled in your brain if you are very used to the sound
system of the language.

Of course, this is not always true. There are many, many words that you just happen to
know. These are often ironically the words that you've not tried to remember, while the
words that you really want to know just won't stick. My method for learning these words
is just to not really try; they will stick eventually and it never works for me to
learn them by force. Language learning is a long process and there's no hurry, so it's
best just to wait for them. At times I've noticed that I suddenly know them or even
that I encounter the words in my dreams.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6481 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 17
19 November 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Mauritz: Now I’m ever so curious, but, Swede who has experience with Akkadian?! Have you studied at UU or by
yourself? Have you leant it well, or just some comparative stuff to enhance your Arabic? — (Sorry for offtopicing
but.. I just had to!)

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4710 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 5 of 17
19 November 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
One day when I was about 16 and at school (about 14 years ago) I randomly looked up the word for moisturising cream in Turkish - being the language nerd I am, I used to carry my Turkish-English dictionary around with me lol :p even now I can still remember it being nemlendericikrem - excuse the spelling.

Also the Swedish word "förut" stuck in my head altho it took a few look ups in the dictionary to remember what it meant...

I often get English words stuck in my head for a few days too so I guess it's probably just a "thing" my brain does lol.

I think words stick for me if I hear them and like the sound of them, or if they sounded so wierd to me that they created a larger reaction within me.

Edited by WentworthsGal on 19 November 2011 at 11:24am

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4699 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Dutch, Japanese

Message 6 of 17
19 November 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I find this happens a lot when I hear a word that sounds the same as one in a language I already speak, I guess that's kinda normal though

On_the_road
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4578 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 17
19 November 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
This happens quite often for me, often it is words that are a bit unusual in their form that I tend to memorize easiest. For instance, the English word countenance was really easy for me to learn. On the other hand, words that are simliar to one another I sometimes can have quite some problems with. A classic example for me that I had to struggle with for some time before I could learn not to confuse them are the words dispair and dismay

Leipzig
Hexaglot
Wales
Joined 4625 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC2, Lowland Scots, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Welsh, Tok Pisin, German, Italian

Message 8 of 17
19 November 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I find it exactly the same as stated in the OP - some words are real buggers to remember,
whilst others slot in my mind almost effortlessly. They tend to come in a few different
categories:

- Cognates, difficult to forget
- False friends, because the story of how they differ is enough to remember them
- Plain odd - and usually useless - words that stick because I found them unusual
(examples: épouvantable, zurumbático, wedi blino)
- Words that look/can be pronounced sort of like words in languages I know, making it
easy to allot a mnemonic (e.g. dim in Welsh = 'no, not' = no brain, dim; balai in French
= broom = 'dancing a 'ballet' with un balai.')

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version