Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5811 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 14
20 November 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I don't believe it's possible to be a native-like reader of a language you can't understand when spoken, because all the evidence from brain scans is that natives "hear" what they read as if it was said to them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4572 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 10 of 14
20 November 2011 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
I don't really know if it's possible to be able to read & write but not speak & listen. Did I take a vow of silence, LOL? Seems a little unrealistic but this is just for fun, so why not.
It does get pretty realistic if you talk about languages that are quite dissimilar to your own. I have a similar situation with Japanese - while my reading and writing skills are hardly native, they are vastly superior to my listening and especially to my speaking skills.

One reason for this is the huge differences in grammar between Japanese and most European languages. When I am reading I see the whole sentence and can analyse it step by step and get what it means, but when I am listening I have to ask people to talk slower or repeat themselves to be able to do that. When I am writing I can take my time to properly structure my sentences, but when I try to speak I stumble, because I might have started speaking with the wrong word order or used a very unnatural structure.

Another reason lies in the peculiarities of the Japanese writing system and of my approach to learning it. I used James Heisig's book "Remembering the Kanji" to learn the writing and the meanings of Kanji, or Chinese characters used in Japanese. In Heisig's method the pronunciations or readings of Kanji (most Kanji have multiple readings, and they aren't always entirely predictable) are not taught in the initial stages, so that the student can memorize them later or learn them from context as parts of words. Because of this when I read I occasionally run into situations where I can guess the meaning of a word from the Kanji in it, but have no idea how to pronounce it. I bet Chinese learners of Japanese run into this problem a lot, since they are already familiar with the characters, but might not know their actual Japanese pronunciations. And outside languages that use Chinese characters similar situations may occur with cognates (e.g. all the Latin and Greek words in European languages), especially if the language you are learning has a less than straightforward orthography.

And finally, although this is not the case with me, but pronunciation plays an important role. Having a perfect grammar and a vast vocabulary won't help people understand you if your accent is completely undecipherable. I have read of an American historian who could write articles in Chinese, yet whenever he tried to speak he would always confuse the tones and hardly make any distinctions between some consonants, like sh and x, or ch and q.

So, while the extreme version of the statement does sound unrealistic (if your reading and writing ability are native-like, then you should have at least some speaking and listening ability), it is perfectly possible to have a huge disparity between those abilities.
1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4665 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 14
20 November 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Other:

If had had to make one of the choices given I think I'd just forget the whole thing and take up stamp collecting. Either I'm going to master the language all the way or it's not worth my time to do it at all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 14
21 November 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I would prefer being mediocre in all skills to being half excellent, half nothing at all.

If I couldn't get that then I would probably go for the written skills because I actually read/write more than I speak/listen (except in Danish and to some extent English).

But then I would also buy (or make) a small sticker stating that I was 100 % deaf to avoid stupid questions in languages which I couldn't understand any longer because you lured me to answer in this poll.
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4597 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 13 of 14
05 December 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I love literature, and I love to read. I love writing just as much, and i can't imagine living in a world without
these delightful oxygen molecules :P In an ideal world, which I try my best to attain at all times, I would
choose being native-like in all four skills. But if I had to choose between either oral communication or written,
I'd definitely choose oral. You can listen to news on the radio or tv rather than read it, and you can ask for
directions if you're stumped by signs, but nothing can substitute actually speaking with and communicating
with people on almost any subject. I imagine it would get pretty lonely having a book as your only companion.
I can't imagine life without books, but I can't imagine life without people even more. Besides, there are audio
books out there now too. It would also be very tedious to have to write to communicate, rather than just say it.

Hope that didn't sound too melodramatic :P   But seriously, isn't the essence of language the spoken word?
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version