ALS
United States
Joined 5616 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 1 of 8
19 November 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
...the world wants you to learn a specific language?

I studied Swedish for about a year and got quite good at it, but I ended up dropping it and picking up Norwegian instead. I love them both, really I love all the Scandinavian and Nordic languages. But the complete lack of learning materials I enjoy for Norwegian is a big downer. But for the last few months I'm coming across dozens of things I really like, in Swedish. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies, certain YouTube channels, music, websites with both Swedish and English, things like that. It's making me want to switch again, with another factor being that I want to move to Finland one day and knowing Swedish instead of Norwegian would help me in that.

Has this ever happened to you? You're learning one language but you feel like the world is saying "NO LEARN THIS ONE INSTEAD IT WOULD BE SO MUCH MORE USEFUL AND YOU LIKE THIS ONE JUST AS MUCH"?

Also, do you think it'd screw me over to switch again?
1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5403 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 2 of 8
20 November 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
It might sound trite but "follow your heart". Study the language for which you feel the most passion. The concept of "useful" is very much relative to the individual: as anyone who has been on this site knows, there are "outsiders" who question the "usefulness" of learning any foreign language. Do not be discouraged by the nay sayers; go for the languages-and languages- that you enjoy.

ALS
United States
Joined 5616 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 3 of 8
20 November 2011 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
My problem really is that I love both languages pretty equally, but there's just so much less material for Norwegian that my time studying Swedish was a lot more enjoyable.

I don't know WHY I'm torn up about this. I feel like I left my first spouse, got with another one, and now I'm cheating on my new spouse with the old ex.

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5085 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
20 November 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Hah - I learned French to B1 level, then ended up moving to Spain rather than France
(which turned out to be a lovely move, but still...). So yes, all of a sudden the world
was saying that French was not going to be much use to me.

I had a period of mourning for the fluent French speaker I might have been, and then got
on with it. It still bugs me a little at times, as I really would probably have been
fantastic at French by now, rather than just kind-of-okay in Spanish.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4671 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 8
20 November 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Of course! Polish job offers tell me that I should learn Hungarian and Czech (well, I've started learning the 2nd one), eventually Slovak or Chinese. Besides, these job offers tell also many other 'interesting' things... (such as 'You should study economics!', 'You should be a go-ahead person!' 'You should look like a model!' 'You should be perfect and be happy for being paid 300 euro monthly!').

P.S. Unfortunately it's not completely ironic...
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4677 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 8
20 November 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
I felt like Netflix was running out of movies I wanted to watch. Then I discovered a couple of Spanish movies I really enjoyed (with subtitles). That lead me to other works by the same actors and directors, until I was watching only movies in Spanish, but from just about every Spanish-speaking country. Then one day I decided, Hey, I'd like to be able to watch them without subtitles.

And thus began, about 11 months ago, my first language-learning project. So, yes, in a way the world told me to learn Spanish so I could open up a whole new world of movies to enjoy. Now I'm reading books in Spanish too! Bonus. I don't know what my "official level" is, but I can read Harry Potter and PĂ©rez-Reverte and watch Mexican movies and Columbian telenovelas.

And I think after I've gotten better at Spanish, there's probably a whole new world of Italian movies waiting to be watched without subtitles too.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 8
21 November 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
That happens all the time.

I don't mean people telling me "You should learn German, it is more useful than French.", those are not the world. I mean the "chance" that I stumble upon a book, an author, some music etc. But it is hard for me to distinguish between these "signs from the fate" and wanderlust :-)

A good sign happened to my aunt. She found a Spanish dictionary on the ground.

-The job offers prz mentioned are fun. Lately, I should have been learning Dutch and Portuguese by their opinion.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5846 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 8 of 8
21 November 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
ALS wrote:
Have you ever felt like... ...the world wants you to learn a specific language?

I think this is called "gnosis" ( intuitive knowledge ). Real gnosis is difficult to cultivate, if it exists at all. In most cases ordinary superstitions and coincidences are taken to have deep meaning, which I think is not a good way to chose a language. Look it up on Wikipedia if you are curious, but my opinion is that idea can do more harm than good.

Cavesa wrote:
A good sign happened to my aunt. She found a Spanish dictionary on the ground.

She's lucky she didn't find a Swahili dictionary ;-).

Edited by Sennin on 21 November 2011 at 3:27pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version