Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6677 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 17
20 November 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I just found the following link

http://www.france-langue.fr/en/exam_preparation/DELF1_DELF2_ DALF_DFA1_DFA2_CFJ_CFTH_FranceLangue.php

It says that you need to study for x00 hours to get to certain levels. I am just curious how many people here agree with that website?
1 person has voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4677 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 17
20 November 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I just found the following link

http://www.france-langue.fr/en/exam_preparation/DELF1_DELF2_ DALF_DFA1_DFA2_CFJ_CFTH_FranceLangue.php

It says that you need to study for x00 hours to get to certain levels. I am just curious how many people here agree with that website?

The web site specifies "Course Hours". I would think there is a big difference between "course hours" and hours studied.

If I spend 2 hours in class I'm still going to have to spend another 3 or 4 or 5 hours outside of class studying and preparing lessons, so "course hours" just scratches the surface.

In addition different people have different aptitudes for language. I'm taking a Spanish conversation class right now where a few people in the class, after 9 weeks are still not even close on their pronunciation, getting the vowels completely wrong and pronouncing "ll" like "l", and 'h' like English 'h', and they still don't have a clue how to conjugate the simplest regular verbs in the present tense.

I seriously doubt whether there is such a thing as an "hours studied" that fits everyone.

6 persons have voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6677 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 3 of 17
21 November 2011 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I've always been interested in the time it takes to learn languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 17
21 November 2011 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I don't agree as well. Firstly those are course hours without the self-study. Secondly course hours are not the same for everyone, especially if you are changing a teacher/school/style of classes a few times. If you had one good teacher from your first hour to the last one and it would be one course taking on where you left last time without huge overlaps or gaps, than it would be possible to tell a number of such hours needed.

I kind of liked the 1000 self-study hours number which was mentioned somewhere on the forums. It is a nice number and it is quite a high number so it might work.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 17
21 November 2011 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Are you really going to add up every hour, half-hour and quarter-hour you spend studying just to know how
far along you are?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 17
21 November 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
It takes what it takes. We're all different. One size does not fit all. How do you quantify desire?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Abdalan
Triglot
Brazil
abdalan.wordpress.co
Joined 4858 days ago

120 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 7 of 17
21 November 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
One thing is right: it's to be counted in hours, not in years.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5055 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 8 of 17
21 November 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Are you really going to add up every hour, half-hour and quarter-hour you spend studying just to know how
far along you are?

Actually, I do, and have for about a year. I didn't start doing it because of languages though, but rather to make sure I do enough studying for my Open University courses - it's hard to kid yourself when you've got it down in black and white that you really only did 2 hours that week instead of 8.

My stats for language are not so clear as for periods of that year all languages went into one pot, and at some points various languages were disambiguated, but it is interesting. For example, I've been studying Dutch all year, and Chinese seriously since the start of the 6WC - my Chinese total will overtake my Dutch total this week. One thing I don't record is watching tv or reading for pleasure, otherwise my Dutch totals would be much higher as I love Dutch detective shows!

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version