Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4689 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Dutch, Japanese

Message 9 of 17
23 November 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
About 98% of the people I know here in Bretagne (in france) could most likely only be guided in french, seeing as languages don't seem to really be a priority here.
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4846 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 17
23 November 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I could be guided in English and Spanish, similar to my countrymen. I could personally also be guided in a pinch in German and Finnish. I might be slow, but I"d get it. Plus, with actual guiding, all the seeing and doing is great for getting context.

georgiqg
Triglot
Spain
Joined 4716 days ago

36 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, Spanish, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 17
23 November 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Originally, the question was...

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Which foreign languages could a randomly chosen group of your countrymen be guided in?

...but it somehow turned into "Which foreign languages could YOU be guided in?".
I'm going to answer about my country, which is Bulgaria.

A group of randomly picked people from Bulgaria, could be guided in:
- English, if they're younger than 40 yo, approx.
- Russian, if they're older.
- Bulgarian, of course.
- Everybody would also understand Macedonian with almost no problems.

Of course, there are also people who only speak Bulgarian, but I'm talking
about the majority of people there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4671 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 17
24 November 2011 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Hmm, my experience contains only being guided in English, German (for me it was a little bit harder, but bearable) and Macedonian, so I can't tell you much.
But hmm... I think I could be guided also in any other Slavic language since I have been exposed to almost every of them. I would struggle with, but somehow survive in Dutch and Italian - I suppose.

Edited by prz_ on 24 November 2011 at 1:15am

moonjun
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4616 days ago

8 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: Korean

Message 13 of 17
24 November 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
The situation with Mandarin and Cantonese is a bit more complex.
I believe that all dialect speakers in China younger than 60 could comprehend Mandarin.
While there are some speakers who speak Mandarin only, it's not the case for the
majority.

Younger generations (40-) of minority ethnic groups in China, different in each region,
would presumably understand Mandarin, with few geographical exceptions such as remote
areas of Tibet and Xinjiang.

For people in Hong Kong and Macau, anyone born after 1990 would comprehend Mandarin
enough for a tour guide, stated that they studied Chinese in primary and/or secondary
as a 1st language. It is still possible to study in the English only schools in HK, and
learn French or Spanish as a second language, in that case those people would not
comprehend Mandarin.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 17
24 November 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

EDIT: I'm also guessing most Portugese speakers (at least those in Brazil and Porugal) have a decent understanding of Spanish? Not that they're mutually intelligible, but similarities combined with large exposure? I'd venture they can understand Spanish a lot better than most Spanish speakers could understand Portugese.
Seems so, like for example there's no translation provided for the interviews after football matches :)
I even think it's not just the exposure but also some features of Spanish... but I'm biased :P

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4893 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 15 of 17
24 November 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
We have many communities that speak different languages, being Japanese one of those.

But a random group of average Brazilians would understand Latin American Spanish to some
degree of fluency, as long as it is not very fast.

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6015 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 16 of 17
25 November 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Here in Andorra, just about everybody (except recent immigrants I guess) could be guided in both Catalan and Spanish. Almost every Andorra could also be guided in French, since that is one of the languages of instruction for two of the three school systems here (the Andorran and the French, but not the Spanish). I also think a lot of people could be guided in Portuguese, because of the large portion of the population with Portuguese ancestry and because of the similarities between Portuguese and Catalan / Spanish / French.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version