Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 19
02 December 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
"In just 40 minutes a day for one month, you can learn a two-hour segment." Doing the maths, they expect you to listen to each 40 minute section 10 times. It must be packed.

Edit: I'm also surprised at the price. $99 for a 30 year old course. The same website also sells FSI courses for $250!

Edited by Jeffers on 02 December 2011 at 6:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 19
02 December 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
The audio begins with a copyright notice from 1979 by a mysterious entity called the "200 language club". This exciting sounding club turns out out to be a name used by the science fiction writer, A.E Van Vogt for the language learning series. I'm not sure if the voice on the tapes is Van Vogt himself or another non native Hungarian speaker. My suspicion is that it is him.

Bing only returns one hit for "200 language club", and it's a list of copyright registrations. Note that I only see two collaborators despite the fact that courses for several languages are included on the list: his wife Lydia and one "Guido Hauser", so it's fairly likely that's AE himself on the tape.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6932 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 11 of 19
03 December 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Horrendous website! I hope they didn't pay someone to design it with that intense yellow background.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 19
03 December 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
The audio begins with a copyright notice from 1979 by a mysterious entity called the "200 language club". This exciting sounding club turns out out to be a name used by the science fiction writer, A.E Van Vogt for the language learning series. I'm not sure if the voice on the tapes is Van Vogt himself or another non native Hungarian speaker. My suspicion is that it is him.

Bing only returns one hit for "200 language club", and it's a list of copyright registrations. Note that I only see two collaborators despite the fact that courses for several languages are included on the list: his wife Lydia and one "Guido Hauser", so it's fairly likely that's AE himself on the tape.

There were several hits on Google for a search on "200 language club", one of which had an advertisement about language learning "while striding".

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5084 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 13 of 19
06 December 2011 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
You can hear a sample (5 to 10 minutes) of the Japanese course here.

( http://www.learnoutloud.com/Audio-Books/Languages/Japanese/N oTime-Japanese/20210 )

I actually find it kind of intriguing, at least as a supplement to listen to while you walked around (or strode :). Though as DaraghM says, the audio transfer quality leaves much to be desired.

Btw, if the information on that page is correct, then the author and narrator is, indeed, A.E. Van Vogt.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 19
07 December 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Well, that's really impressive. Kudos, Mr. Van Vogt...

Edited by mrwarper on 07 December 2011 at 1:35pm

Dr. Peter
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

2 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Albanian

Message 15 of 19
29 January 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Decades ago, I used to be a member ( = subscriber) of the 200-Language Club and I still have at least two dozen of the sets somewhere around my home. Ordinarily, each "album" was a set of 3 cassettes, but a few were multiple 3-cassette packages. There were several formats or types of "albums," but my favorites featured the "professor of linguistics," talking about the particular language or dialect and giving examples.

When I spoke with him in person, perhaps in the late 1980s or early 1990s, Mr. van Vogt denied being the "professor of linguistics" and, to me, he and the speaker on the tapes I just called my favorites sounded very different. He wouldn't tell me who the "professor of linguistics" really was, but maybe it was Guido Hauser, professor of German at Loyola University, New Orleans.

However, I think Mr. van Vogt himself was the speaker on the vocabulary tapes. Yes, he was also the famous science-fiction novelist.

I don't think these sets were anywhere near as good as FSI or Pimsleur for the main course, but the "professor of linguistics" tapes made a great supplement, providing cultural context, a bit of history, relationships to other languages, examples and explanations. I still listen to them once in a while, if I can find my cassette player. Sometimes they discuss a dialect for which not much learning material is available.

After Mr. van Vogt died in 2000, Audio Forum (Jeffrey Norton) bought the rights and raised the prices pretty extremely. I find that very sad. I would happily pay the original prices, adjusted for inflation, to have more of the "professor of linguistics" expounding on any language I don't already have, even if the audio quality is not so good. In 2012, the Audio Forum languages courses were acquired by MPS Multimedia, Inc., but I don't see the 200-Language Club albums on the web site.

I would also very much like to know the real name of the "professor of linguistics" and something about his background.

9 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3863 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 19
30 January 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I purchased the complete set of cds for NO TIME German and Dutch from AUDIO FORUM during their final inventory clearance sale just before they ceased operations. I was quite disappointed with the product.

Although not stated by the retailer, the recordings had been transferred "in bulk" from the original, aging, magnetic tapes. As for many of the older DLI courses that were recorded during the same period, and that are now available on the Internet, the sound quality is quite unacceptable for what purports to be a commercial product. No effort was made to split the audio files into shorter segments, thereby leaving only one, long track per cd. I suspect that any existing mp3 versions are similar, single-track files. I converted the cds to mp3 files and tried using a file splitter to segment the material but, because of the overall quality of the course, lost patience and abandoned this project.

We can argue endlessly the merits of using audio files recorded by native speakers who have no voice-training versus those recorded by voice-professionals. However, in my opinion, by virtue of his heavily-accented, flat, and stilted speech, Mr. Van Vogt set a particularly low standard in the field of language recordings.

The mere fact that one speaks a given language is no guarantee that one can also design an effective, audio-only, self-instructional, language course. Despite all the good intentions that must have served as the impetus for this course, I found that the lessons themselves, for numerous reasons, are NOT well-designed.

I retained my No Time cds for possible future use but, because there are vastly better opportunities available, I never returned to them and have no intention of doing so. I would cheerfully give them away for free to anyone who cares to pay the postage.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version