Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 14
26 November 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Richard P. Feynman said once that there's an obvious parallelism between Physics and sex: both lead to obvious results, but that's not why you do it. I guess we can say the same about some language learners :)

If it's intrinsically pleasurable for you, why bother with other reasons? OTOH things are rather disturbing the other way around: how come that such wonderful results don't convince someone to try...

Damn, I'm torn between two worlds!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 10 of 14
26 November 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I like when I read something (or hear something) in a language that just couldn't be said quite like that in any another language. I feel an incredible joy to be privileged to understand. Like being in a special club. Members only.

Then there are those moments when you're reading/listening/speaking and you suddenly realize this is a foreign language. And you get goosebumps.

And of course, there is the pleasure of slowly getting to know a new language, discovering all it's secrets and hidden beauties. It's a tingling feeling -- kind of like being in love.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 11 of 14
27 November 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
I feel like when I study a foreign language, I can assume the identity of someone new.
When I study Japanese, I can almost feel what it would be like to be a Japanese teenager.
I start listening to Japanese pop music, I watch Japanese movies and read Japanese books,
I try to get on Japanese internet forums. I become someone new and escape my normal life.
I like that!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5917 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 14
27 November 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
A 'Eureka Moment' gives me a huge thrill.
That moment when, after months of incomprehension, you read something and it all makes
perfect sense. Or when the jumbled stream of gibberish from the radio is, in one moment,
suddenly crystal clear and it seems so easy. After all the toil and frustration, it's a
great moment.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5055 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 13 of 14
27 November 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I love that learning new languages opens up so much in terms of other cultures. It allows you to read so much more and to watch and listen to so much more. As an example, I don't have a television in my house, but I can happily watch Dutch and German shows online. Makes me a fish out of water when people at work are discussing what they watched the night before, but it keeps me happy.

The discovery of new ways of saying things gives you a new perspective on the world too - the says and expressions of another language are fascinating.

In terms of travel, and I guess this may be more of an issue for native English speakers, even if you can speak a little bit of another language, it shows willing and also that you don't think everyone should speak English.

And, yeah, understanding stuff other people don't is fun!

tanya b
United States
Joined 4590 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 14 of 14
28 November 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I love it when others have mistaken me for a native speaker of Russian or Armenian. I am neither Russian or Armenian, but because I am become fluent in both, some people make assumptions that I am not an American, which I am, whether in person or on the phone. I deliberately call Russian or Armenian businesses or go to Russian or Armenian events to test my skill level, never using English, and for the most part, no one ever speaks to me in English, even if the conversation is very long. I'm not trying to fool them, to me it is just interesting. I am also fascinated with languages which I don't know, which have "mystique", such as Slovak, Hungarian, Welsh or Finnish and sometimes try to envision what it is like to live in one of those of those far-off places. Of course their lives are just as humdrum as ours, but it is kind of a fun fantasy.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version