Icaria909
United States
Joined 5387 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 16
30 November 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I think you can plan on becoming a polyglot, but it has to be with the recognition that
you cannot put an exact timetable to it. As Iversen pointed out, if you say I have to
know x languages by 2018(random date), then you will drive yourself insane trying to
meet that very difficult goal. It is far better to say, "at some time in my life I
would like to be able to say I am polyglot. I do not know when that will happen, but I
know I will enjoy every step along the way."

And that is what it boils down to: being a polyglot is not so much a goal in itself but
simply a recognition for your love of languages and foreign cultures. It demonstrates
the level of commitment you have for your love and underscores the many studies you
will most likely continue in your future.

That is why I also believe you cannot just learn a language to a basic level in order
to say you are a polyglot. Many of the greatest joys of learning a language come during
the intermediate to advanced period when you can read a book of philosophy in your L2
and you come across a way of expressing an idea that you have never seen in your native
language. That moment when you realize you can actively enjoy music from exotic places,
or that you could debate confidently with someone when you know that this could never
have happened without you're ability to speak in your L2. That is why, in my opinion,
to learn multiple languages to a basic level so one can that they are a polyglot
cheapens the experience of becoming one. You would be denying yourself many of the most
rewarding joys of language learning by not continuing immediately to an intermediate or
advanced level.

As to how proficient you need to be before you start a new language, that is something
that really depends on how you want to use it in the future. For me, I will not move
onto a new language until the majority of my learning comes from reading books,
watching movies, and being able to converse with natives. When I can set those grammar
books away, stop mimicking pronunciation, and put away my word lists of new vocabulary,
then I may consider moving on. But it really depends on what you are learning your L2
for.

I must say this was strictly my opinion. I am not a polyglot like the rest of you but
these are the conclusions I have come to over my years of studying.

1 person has voted this message useful

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4678 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 10 of 16
30 November 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
What I've realized for me is that I enjoy the feeling of progress in my language studies. It's a great feeling to each day feel like I've improved in my ability to communicate and understand.

So, I will probably continue to study just one language until I get to the "plateau" which I think is inevitable where diminishing returns kicks in. At that point, it's just maintenance work (read books, talk to people... maybe write a little) and I'd consider starting with another language for the intensive study hours.

Why not? I actually enjoy the intensive learning process, so when I'm no longer learning at as high a throughput rate with Italian, I'll probably be eager to hop to another. So for me, I don't predict I'll jump ship until I've reached a B2-C1 proficiency, but I've no "plan" either way... which I now see is basically what Icaria909 said above!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 16
01 December 2011 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Depending on how quickly you want to learn, it might be fine to be a beginner in more than one language - when you've already learned a few;)
And far more importantly - go with your heart. I spent two years putting off starting Finnish "till I reach a good level in German" - thanks God I took the plunge! (I was 15) I still haven't reached basic fluency in German, but I've reached advanced fluency in Finnish. Also discovered the joy of independent language learning :)
So if your question about planning includes making plans like "in year X i'll start language Y and i'll be fluent by year Z" - better don't. it's fine to make lists of the languages you want to speak but unless it involves other things in life, don't plan it. like for example I recently saw someonee ask (not at this forum): "which language should I learn, Russian or Danish?" I was very tempted to say that most likely, neither. Let the language make you fall in love with it, let the desire get unbearable... then start:) If it's the right language for you, sooner or later you will be studying it.

Based on my previous experience, I was planning to reach basic fluency in Portuguese and, you guessed it, German, before moving on to other languages... I ended up starting more Romance languages, each of them improving the others. I doubt I'm going to regret this, I definitely don't as of now.

BUT you really have to reach basic fluency in a few languages first. I could've been studying Finnish for 10 years by now but I started it much later and it's also something I don't regret. I'd not have achieved a lot anyway - not only because I was just 11. My English was also just upper intermediate.

I checked out your posts, you sound very motivated for Mandarin. So go for it! But perhaps try to keep your Spanish alive. What I would do is getting an L2-L3 dictionary (even if it's more of a fun thing). Unless this sounds too intimidating;)
4 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 12 of 16
07 December 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Thanks Serpent, i'll take all that in. I have a very strong impulse that I believe will
compel me to move to Asia and hopefully travel. The languages on my mind for Asia are
Mandarin, Hindi, and Arabic. I have a really amazing kung fu teacher from China, and his
teaching really changed my life, not only that, I love the philosophy in China, and I
also resonate with buddhism too. With all that, and despite the practicality of Spanish
in the US, I already started on Mandarin and I really look forward to the class. I'm
still learning new words and having conversations in Spanish at work. Also, the
occasional Spanish song or video, might start watching Spanish movies or tv on occasion
too just for fun.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 13 of 16
07 December 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Icaria, someone with only basic language skills in many languages and fluency in none,
who considers himself a polyglot, should consider himself a joke too. My question
hopefully implied returning to L2 to take it to an advanced level once L3 is basic or
advanced or whatever you choose. Obviously, this is not ideal... but unfortunately it's
what I have to do to move forward in my life.

KevC
Bilingual Tetraglot
South Africa
mzansifinance.com
Joined 4533 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 16
07 December 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
I agree with what the majority are saying here.

My first attempt at languages as an adult started with learning Spanish and french at the same time. This first attempt failed miserably, because the languages were too close to each other and I ended up getting seriously confused.

I really enjoyed the immersion experience and this is how I ultimately started enjoying learning languages. I enjoyed staying in Latin America and Brazil for extended periods and the daily practice really makes the language come alive. It is also a lot more fun when you are at a higher level and you can start enjoying the literature and unique cultural differences, plus it is very motivating to be able to pick up a book or go on the internet and enjoy what you read.

I wish though, when I was younger, that I had used the opportunity when I had it to learn and practice. At times I have lived with roommates from Mauritius (where they speak french) and Russians, who spoke more of these languages in conversation than English. If I had only learnt the languages when I had people to practice it with!

I'm having a crack at Mandarin right now, hoping to be able to go to China in a couple of years to stay. It is a challenge not having people to practice with, though...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 16
07 December 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
BobbyE wrote:
My question hopefully implied returning to L2 to take it to an advanced level once L3 is basic or advanced or whatever you choose. Obviously, this is not ideal... but unfortunately it's what I have to do to move forward in my life.

depends on what you mean as "returning"... normally it's better not to stop and then resume, but rather to continue studying the language at a lower pace. even more so with the languages you plan to study - I'd assume it would take you quite long to afford the luxury of not having to practise the writing systems at least 4-5 times a week. (if you love the hanzi, calligraphy, try scriptorium!

one problem I see is that it might take you quite long to just learn about yourself, your learning style as you finally learn a language to fluency. don't any relatively easy exotic languages interest you? like Indonesian, Swahili... :)
It will be quite a bit easier after one language, even more so after 3-4. and really I found that even having learned a language without reaching fluency already helps... so feel free to flirt with the languages on your hitlist ;)

oh and also, while it's possible to learn a language without going to the country of your target language... i'd recommend you to plan some separate visits to China, India and the Arabic countries before you settle in Asia (and travel again). Better if you're at high intermediate/basic fluency by then - a level where your language skills won't suffer during immersion in another one.

Edited by Serpent on 07 December 2011 at 11:01am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version