Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Discouragement: opportunities to use it?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 13
29 November 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=fomalhaut] As an American it's the most awkward thing to meet a Persian. Oh hey! remember overthrowing your government!! QUOTE]

I think most people can get into awquard situations like that. A while ago I met a Serbian who was raving about how Norway and Serbia had always been on the same side in conflicts, and what close connections there were between our two peoples. I carefully neglected to remind him that the last meeting between our two peoples were my government doing its best to bomb his country back to the stone age.

Between humans we cannot take responsibility for what our governments do. As an American citizen you are not responsible for American foreign policy, and you should not hold an Iranian responsible for things that happened in his country. I have lived in Spain under Franco (if anyone still remembers who he was). I was too young to care about politics, and in any event he did not make any difference as far as I was concerned. I love Spaniards, I will always love Spaniards, no matter what happens on their political scene.

As for Iran, I am horrified by their current regime, but out of 100 Iranians I have met in France, in Spain and in Norway, 99 out of 100 were the kindest, nicest, most soft spoken and gentle people I have met. So what if the 100th was a raving lunatic. It doesn't change the fact that the other 99 were great.

People are what matters. Not governments.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 November 2011 at 4:05pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 10 of 13
29 November 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
@ S.C.: thank God that there are people with views like yours.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 13
29 November 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
@ S.C.: thank God that there are people with views like yours.

Thank you. You made my day. Did I mention that I also adore people from Poland :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 November 2011 at 4:07pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 13
29 November 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
It's a bit surprising, because many Poles working abroad aren't very polite and... hmm... 'enlightened'. Though I hope it's slightly changing.

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4551 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 13
30 November 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
@prz, I live in an area in the US that has a strong, if older, Polish community. I have to agree that Poles aren't 'polite and enlighted', but unlike you, I hope it never changes. Poles are straight forward, honest and very hard working. I have great respect for them and wouldn't want to trade that for polite or enlightened!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version