Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6460 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 9 of 20
28 November 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Kitchen utensils, though I’ll probably have to learn some in German since the exchange student is German, she
speaks Swedish — but a lot of her friends do not. Man, colander is one of these words you don’t even remember
exists before you have to talk about them. Also, that everything that you put stuff in can be referred to as a pot
always surprises me: in Swedish we have a lot of words for cookery stuff… Kastrull, gryta, burk, ungsform…

Linguistics and vocabulary of languages that I’ve studied in English I lack the words for in Swedish. My notes from
Akkadian class are a miss-mash of Swedish, English, Akkadian and reconstructed protoAkkadian roots.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5629 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 10 of 20
28 November 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm still at an intermediate level of Japanese so I'm still missing a lot of basic vocabulary, but there are definitely
some areas that stick out. Science and medicine related words, for example, and nature related words. The latter
I've been working on by exploring wikipedia articles and nature documentaries. I hope to be able to join a birding
club when I go to Japan. ;)
I experienced the same sudden realization that I had no words for kitchen things a while back in esperanto though.
I think it's very common to overlook words like "frying pan" and "spatula" until you suddenly need them!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 20
29 November 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
RatoDePorão wrote:
I've never cared about vegetables' names, I always say "that piece of bush" to greeny things and I've never cared about some animals either, like Racoon and Possum are the same thing to me, even in my mother tongue, it's like I just couldn't care less, you know?!
same here :D
i've decided i don't need the word if i have no clue how what it describes is different from other similar objects. however not knowing them at all feels wrong, i need to know at least passively that "this word is a tree", even if the translation doesn't matter because if i know the word in my native russian i have no clue what the tree looks like.

this also means that if i do know what the tree/plant/animal is like, i gotta know the word in foreign languages (but it's a lower priority than the vocabulary related to football and medicine :D)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6421 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 12 of 20
29 November 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
It's not an unusual problem. My vocabulary in physics is very good in English, but I've never talked about it in Norwegian, so I don't know a lot of those words in Norwegian.

With economics, it goes the other way. I know it in Norwegian, but not English. I've had to try to learn a bit in English because I often get called on to translate at work, but that leads me into something I saw on another thread -- not believing your source. A lot of English words in this area sound so silly to me. An example is "tax loss carry forward." It sounds rather childish, so I couldn't believe it was really called that. In Norwegian, it is "framførbart underskudd," which just sounds so much more professional and sophisticated to me.

I think we must accept that there will always be gaps in our vocabulary both in our native languages and in our foreign languages. Sometimes the gaps will be in the same areas, and sometimes in different areas. If you discover a gap in some area that is important to you, you can rectify it fairly quickly by reading some articles on that topic. If it isn't so important or interesting, why bother? For me car parts will probably always be thingamajigs and whatchamacallits in any language. Rugby is just a game involving a ball and a bunch of men running around yelling and behaving violently. Vegetables will probably always be important to me, as will cooking utensils, but that's just me. I eat almost every day. I have never yet watched a rugby match.

Speaking of kitchen utensils, I remember a story I heard once about an Italian woman with very little English who moved to the US. She wanted to buy a colander and couldn't find one in the store, so she had to ask the clerk. She didn't know the word, so she just described it, "Water go. Spaghetti stop."

If you learn a language fairly well, but find there is a word you need and don't know, you can usually get around it. I often find myself uncertain of words, but I just say things in a slightly different way, and nobody notices. Of course, this works better with slightly less important words rather than a central noun. If you want to buy a colander, it's very hard to ask about it without using the word or describing the thing.

3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6073 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 20
30 November 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Yes. I am not interested in most sports, and so I tend to lack sporting vocabulary in my L2s.
More generally, there are always some words you should know but don't. Foreign language vocabulary is like Swiss cheese - there are always some holes in it.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5906 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 14 of 20
30 November 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
If I'm not careful, I tend to collect too many synonyms and then confuse myself as to which
is the best one to use. It may stem from an insecure need to know every variation 'just in case'.
And also because I sometimes rely on acquiring vocabulary with little reference to it's common
usage and context.

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4618 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 15 of 20
03 December 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Speaking of kitchen utensils, I remember a story I heard once about an
Italian woman with very little English who moved to the US. She wanted to buy a colander
and couldn't find one in the store, so she had to ask the clerk. She didn't know the
word, so she just described it, "Water go. Spaghetti stop."

Hahaha! That had me in tears!

Fortwenster
Diglot
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

24 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 20
03 December 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I don't know a lot of economics vocabulary in French.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version