tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5566 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 24
01 December 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
*Actively* was the operative word there. You cannot train to achieve an accent, an accent is something that develops itself. Anyone training an accent is pretentious to say the least in my opinion.

Actually, I'd like to argue for the opposite, as an important factor in communicaton is the skill to match the listener's pace and express the things you want to communicate in a way that makes them easily accessible to the other person. Being able to choose which parts of your conversation partner's body language, accent, speech style and facial expression you want to copy, which ones you want to match with a different expression of your own, and which ones you want to ignore for the time being in order to establish the level of rapport you want at a given time doesn't make you pretentious, it shows your people skills.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rivere123
United States
Joined 4630 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 24
02 December 2011 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
The intended purpose of the thread was to see if you could pick up with an accent in English by learning the language used by people having the accent. Nonetheless, the replies were interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Melisse
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4670 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, SwedishC1, French
Studies: Dutch, Russian, Modern Hebrew

Message 19 of 24
02 December 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
rivere123 wrote:

When you learn a language, can you mimic the accents of those people in English (for example, an Indian accent after learning Hindi or a Norwegian accent after learning Norwegian)?

After learning Swedish, I can not imitate a Swedish accent when I speak English.

After studying Russian for a few semesters in college and having Russian friends and family members, I can do a wonderful Russian accent in English even though I don't speak Russian.

I think it has more to do with how much exposure you get to the target accent in English rather than just knowing the language to which the accent belongs.

So, if you want to develop a good Russian accent when you speak English for instance, I think your best bet is to expose yourself to Russian speakers who have heavy Russian accents when they speak English and imitate them. Someone your own age and gender is best.

Edited by Melisse on 02 December 2011 at 10:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5253 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 20 of 24
03 December 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Melisse wrote:
After learning Swedish, I can not imitate a Swedish accent when I speak English.

Could you do it before you learnt Swedish?

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4617 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 21 of 24
03 December 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
I would definitely say that being able to pick up a foreigner's accent when they're
speaking English helps you to speak their language with a decent/good accent. If you
hear what they put their stresses on in English, you can better understand how that
works in their language, I guess. But I agree, you do need to do a lot of listening
before it takes effect. The good thing is you can almost always do this by watching
stuff - you don't always need actual exposure to native speakers to pick up their
accents.

But be cautious when mimicking folks, lest you want them thinking you're taking the
micky. There have been a number of occasions when I've started using an accent absent-
mindedly only to realise the person from whom I got the accent is in the room! Loool,
that can be pretty uncomfortable...

3 persons have voted this message useful

Melisse
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4670 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, SwedishC1, French
Studies: Dutch, Russian, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 24
03 December 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Melisse wrote:

Could you do it before you learnt Swedish?

No.

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4776 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 23 of 24
04 December 2011 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
One of my favorite party tricks is making various jokes in multiple accents, so I've spent quite a bit of time
"studying" accents.

I picked up a few English accents, a Zimbabwe accent, and an Indian accent by listening to native speakers and then
recording myself imitating them. I then listen to my recording, compare it to the original script, and attempt to fix
any imperfections. Through this process, which I find rather fun, I can, like actors do, "train" myself into speaking
with an accent.

In regards to picking up an accent through learning a language, yes, I believe this is possible as well. Before learning
German, I was unable to imitate a German accent, but, now, I am able to. I believe this is because German is so
close to English in terms of a nearly identical alphabet (and more), and I needed to learn the differences in
pronunciation of sounds like "z," "ei", etc. just to be able to speak.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5181 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 24 of 24
04 December 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
rivere123 wrote:
The intended purpose of the thread was to see if you could pick up with an accent in 
English by learning the language used by people having the accent. Nonetheless, the replies were
interesting.
Few people learn another language with accurate pronunciation. If you pronounce
Italian with an English accent, will that really help you speak English with an Italian accent? I think you'd be
much better off working on listening to their accent in English first.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version