29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 29
27 August 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Polish and Russian will help each other too. I've reached a pretty good level in just a few months, your discount would be smaller but you'll still have one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4718 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 26 of 29
27 August 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
French-- I started it to help my kids with their homework. But now I just do it for myself, and try to drag my kids along for the ride! It is the language of traditional diplomacy, useful for literature and philosophy. My copy of Camus is waiting for me to get ready for it. It is the language of the original and great BDs (Asterix and Tintin). French cinema is great! And it's the most accessible foreign country to me in England (Ireland takes longer to get to by car).

Hindi-- I have lived in India for 12 years, so I started it in school. There are very many speakers in such a wonderful country. Sure it is possible to get by with English as a tourist in India, but a gora with Hindi gets special treatment!

German-- The language of my heritage, many of my family members speak it. It is useful for theology, philosophy and (believe it or not) South Asian studies.

Ancient Greek-- I have always been fascinated by the ancient world, and always preferred the Greek version of mythology to the Roman version. Useful for philosophy and theology. You can read the New Testament, the Old Testament, and early Church fathers.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6468 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 27 of 29
31 August 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
English--It's my native language, but if I were raised speaking another Indo-European language, I'd want to learn it because it is so practical.

French--It's the first foreign language I had a chance to study. One of my younger sisters married a francophone from Montreal. I'm a big movie buff, and French is probably one of the best languages for people who like European movies.

Spanish--I'm living in the United States, and Spanish is the second most spoken language here. One of my best friends lives in Spain and speaks nothing else, not even Catalan even though he lives just outside Barcelona.

German--I took it in graduate school thinking I would need it if I ever decided to go on for my doctorate. I never went on for that doctorate, but I like the way German looks and sounds. Besides, you seem to run into German tourists almost everywhere worth going. And it is one of the heritage languages in my adoptive family.

Italian--Lots of people in the area where I live are of Italian descent, so it's not so uncommon to overhear Italian. It is almost like I learned this language out of self-defense. And it is a beautiful language, close enough to Spanish that it is not so tough.

Portuguese--Why are there so many wonderful people who speak Portuguese as their native language? I have a hard time with Portuguese because I end up with Spanish words coming out of my mouth when I try to speak it. I understand so much more than I can produce.

Norwegian--This one is just me being contrary. I like the way it sounds, and I like that it is simpler in some ways than German. I remain at a very basic level in this one...at least for now.

Wish list:

Dutch--It's close to German and part of me likes the idea of speaking a language that nobody around here understands or can even identify.

Russian--I dropped a Russian course in college because it was way too much for me. I still remember the alphabet and can pronounce words I see much better than you would expect more than thirty years later. Was it good teaching, or just me giving up too soon?

Catalan--It's spoken in Barcelona. For me, that's enough.

Hebrew--see Russian. I tried in a Biblical Hebrew course that was populated mostly by people who learned it in Hebrew school. And the class was only four weeks long. I like the idea of adding on a few languages with a different script. Maybe add Arabic to this list?

Korean--my little brother was born there and went there and learned it and taught English to the Koreans. He is at an intermediate level and swears it is a tough language.

Esperanto--I've tried it, but it's tough to keep it up because there are no Esperanto speakers around me that I've been able to find. I think it would be fun to speak a language so widely spread around the world...other than English.

Chinese--There is a story behind this one, and it has a lot to do with a relationship in graduate school that went horribly wrong. Enough said.

Greek--I've learned the Greek alphabet in part because of learning the International Phonetic Alphabet. And I like the way Greek sounds.

Latin--I think it would be fun to use Latin as a secret language, as a way to communicate with other polyglots.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 3934 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 28 of 29
02 September 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Afrikaans - promise of adventure, beauty, playfulness, freedom, sunshine, simplicity

English - New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, beautiful scenery, lots of music, posh tea drinking habits, universal appeal
   --> Scottish (English) - Gerard Butler, caber tossing, Highland games

Russian - I like the sound, the food, I love classic Russian literature, imagery of cold, fierce, but beautiful countryside - "cold" always makes me melancholic and contemplative, and that's a state I as a German seem to dwell on regularly

Japanese - Freaky animes and mangas, funny onomatopoeia, bautiful gardens, fascinating ceremonies and colourful images

Italian - holiday feeling, favorite foods, sun, emotionally rich, passionate, melodic

Spanish - passionate, hot-blooded, sun, great sea food, great artists

French - everything you say sounds like you're whiping your arse with silk, crêpes, croissants, baguettes, garlic, lavender, Provence

Turkish - had a boyfriend (diasgree with the first comment on the writing looking beautiful, to me it's the opposite, I really don't like seeing it written)

Chinese - had a boyfriend

Dutch - had a crush

German - my native language, had no choice...but love it to bits. Poetic, philosophic, my humour is German. Complexity is no problem for me. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Polish, Ukranian and Rumanian - pretty much of the same level of non-existence, but had good friends and was curious

Edited by Theycalme_Jane on 02 September 2013 at 1:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4051 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 29 of 29
04 September 2013 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
I don't study all of these languages, that'd be crazy! But I'm interested in

Norwegian - I originally wanted to learn Danish, I can't remember why, but I found much
better learning resources for Norwegian so I started learning that. I've just fallen in
love with it since! I love Norway, the language is easy enough and it sounds very
pretty.

Icelandic - I'm obsessed with Iceland. It's such a lovely place.

Italian - The food...

Hungarian - I love the culture of Hungary.

Russian - It was the first language I started learning on my own. I've stopped studying
it now, but I still find it incredibly pretty.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version