Diglot
United States
Joined 6588 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 22
04 June 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to decide which one I should order and there aren't any ways that I can look at the products before I order them. Can anyone state their opinions on them? (I can only buy one).

-brumblebee

Edited by brumblebee on 04 June 2006 at 10:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6890 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 2 of 22
04 June 2006 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I typically prefer the TY series over the Colloquial - I can't say why though. It's something pure personal and nothing objective.

Also, I don't know if this is the case in USA.. but in Australia it's basically the same price to order Assimil as it is to get a TY or Colloquial course.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6669 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 22
04 June 2006 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I haven't tried anything from the Colloquial series yet, but I like Teach Yourself. In your average TY course, there are about 15-25 chapters. Each chapter has a dialogue or two, vocabulary list, grammatical explanations, a blurb about culture, then some exercises. The audio content has been getting better with the latest releases (more audio and clearer sound). Some people (mostly those who have been spoiled by Assimil) still get a little annoyed that there are English voices on the CDs, but you can cut them out with some free software programs if you convert the CDs into MP3s.

Some of the vocabulary items can be a bit questionable at times (as in uncommon and not particularly important), but for the price, TY offers a pretty decent foundation.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 22
04 June 2006 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I prefer "Colloquial" series over "Teach Yourself". The "Colloquial" series are usually organized a little better for me than the "Teach Yourself" series. But I agree with andee. They're both similar and sometimes it comes down to a matter of personal preference. There is something intangible that often appeals to me more from the "Colloquial" series than the "Teach Yourself" series.

The only course so far from the "Colloquial" series that I would reject in favour of a course from the "Teach Yourself" series is the pair for Croatian. "Colloquial Croatian" is quite crummy and full of gaps. "Teach Yourself Croatian" is much better in comparison.

If it helps, go to Amazon.com or Amazon.ca or Amazon.co.uk and do a search on a particular course from "Teach Yourself" and "Colloquial". You can sometimes get some handy opinions from other buyers/users of the kits.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6669 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 5 of 22
04 June 2006 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
andee wrote:
Also, I don't know if this is the case in USA.. but in Australia it's basically the same price to order Assimil as it is to get a TY or Colloquial course.

Really? Looking at the Assimil website, the average "With Ease" course is almost US$90. You can get Teach Yourself courses for under US$20 and Colloquial for about US$35. Where do you order your Assimil courses?

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6890 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 6 of 22
04 June 2006 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
andee wrote:

Really? Looking at the Assimil website, the average "With Ease" course is almost US$90. You can get Teach Yourself courses for under US$20 and Colloquial for about US$35. Where do you order your Assimil courses?

Hah, that's cheap! We're lucky to find them on eBay for that price.

I have ordered Assimil from their website and it worked out at around about the US$90 delivered to my door. The TY and Colloquial series are available at most local bookstores where I live, but we would normally be paying about US$70-80 anyway.

Edited by andee on 04 June 2006 at 11:40pm

AML
United States
Joined 6638 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 7 of 22
05 June 2006 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I like Colloquial Hebrew a lot. TY are really good, too for most languages. I
think you're safe going with either one. Just read the amazon reviews and
check out the free table of contents.

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6588 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 8 of 22
05 June 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
Teach Yourself courses for under US$20

Most of them at Borders are priced at around US $27.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version