Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 129 of 361
11 December 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I’ve been planning to start a language log for 2012 anyway, and have been trying to decide whether to do TAC or not. I’ve finally decided to do at least an individual TAC for Japanese. I would be happy to do a team TAC, if anyone would like to have me, but I feel I must first give the following warning: I did a team TAC in 2010, and dropped out in February. The past two years have been very bad for me, but I’m hoping things will be better in 2012, as I now have help for my problems. I‘ve been studying again since summer, a little haphazardly at first, but I’ve been more organized lately. I’ve kept track of my work since the second week of November, and find that I’ve managed 100 hours since then. (However I’ve been on sick-leave, so I doubt that I will manage quite that much every month.) Also, I’ve made a lot of other improvements in my life since last time I tried TAC, so I think I will have a much better chance now: I now have my own computer now, MP3-player, internet the works at least half the time, and I intend to try to work a bit less overtime this year. So, at least some my problems from 2010 are solved.

Anyway for my individual (and possibly team) TAC, I will work on Japanese only. I fear losing focus if I try other languages at the same time.

It’s hard to determine current level, so this is a very rough estimate. I have no opportunity for speaking, but I’m sure I could manage at least A2. My writing is very slow and requires me to look up a lot of words, partly because I look up anything I’m even moderately unsure of. So, maybe A2 without a dictionary, and B1 with dictionary. I’m better at reading, and actually was surprised that my listening has improved as well. So reading is probably B1. Listening varies from A2 to B1 depending how familiar I am with the topic.

My goals for the year are to get to a level of being able to watch movies and understand enough to enjoy them without needing subtitles, and to be able to read books for pleasure without having to look up any words. (That is I don’t expect to understand every word, but to understand enough of them to understand and enjoy the story without needing a dictionary.)

Edited by Brun Ugle on 11 December 2011 at 12:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6410 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 130 of 361
11 December 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
It's exciting to read all the Team logs of *jäŋe / *ledús, Freutsch (French/German), ne nur, and Team Žá. I'd like to draft a list of members for Team い (Japanese), but as far as I know, it's still just g-bod and I.

Can we expand Team い to include other Asian languages? That way we might attract more members. I know there's a few people with active logs who are learning Mandarin, Cantonese...

I'm learning Turkish - that counts. Are the Arabic languages included on a team yet?

edit: typo

I would be happy to be on the Japanese team if you want me (see my other post, before this one). Also if you look at the last couple of pages of the TAC 2011 thread, some people had begun to discuss TAC 2012 there. So, it looks like Luai-lashire might also be interested in Japanese.

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4876 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 131 of 361
11 December 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
I have been, and still am, participating in 2011 challenge for Team Я (Russian). But in 2012, I'd like to concentrate on learning Vietnamese instead. I'm a complete beginner.

So. If there's Southeast Asian team, or maybe I could smuggle Vietnamese to East Asian team, I'd be interested in joining. I guess Rarely studied languages, if it forms, would work, too. I don't suppose Vietnamese will yield enough interest to form a separate team, but if it does, the team should be called ;) I've seen a couple people considering Vietnamese in 2012—it would be great to have you in the same team, whichever it is, if you decide to give Vietnamese a try. I'll be a member of at most one team.

If none of this works, I will take individual challenge. Team Я turned into a sort of individual challenge anyway, so I have some training :)

I plan on watching any Russian or Czech logs. I might be able to help out with something here and there.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 132 of 361
11 December 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I would be happy to be on the Japanese team if you want me (see my other post, before this one). Also if you look at the last couple of pages of the TAC 2011 thread, some people had begun to discuss TAC 2012 there. So, it looks like Luai-lashire might also be interested in Japanese.

Brun Ugle, welcome! And that would be great if Luai-lashire could join! I haven't studied Japanese in a long time and I almost feel like I'm starting over. I'm eager see how others learn this language which has evaded me for so long ^^

petrklic, if it doesn't work out with Team , your welcome to join!

As stands, I see the following people on a Japanese い team、with the possibility of including other Asian languages:

Sunja, g-bod, Brun Ugle and possibly Luai-lashire (and possibly morozko?). I'll wait around a bit to see if anyone else is interested. It's a busy time of the year (end of the semester!) and I know people have a lot to do...

Edited by Sunja on 11 December 2011 at 2:24pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 133 of 361
11 December 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
meramarina wrote:
I know we have many excellent and dedicated Polish learners/speakers here and I'd be
honored to receive any assistance and encouragement available. I've heard it's a difficult one.

Since I will be a raw newcomer to Slavic languages, I thought I might try keeping that part of my studies
somewhat separate for now. I don't mean to make any amazing progress with it yet, but it would be great to get
started, and if we can assemble a group of us, count me in!

I've been working on the other languages on my present list, and I'll continue, but I'm not so sure that the
language log idea I have for them right now is TAC-compatible. It's been delayed due to family issues, but the
longer I wait to begin it, the weirder it gets . . . so Polish should probably be kept as normal as possible, at
least in the beginning.

So, anyone else? You can belong to more than one team!

Amerykanka wrote:

I would be happy to join a Polish team - Polish is my favorite language ever.

So shall we do it then Meramarina and Amerykanka? Are there any more interested people out there who would
like to form a Polish team?
Also over the two years since I've been here I haven't seen too many people studying Polish as one of their main
languages, it's mostly been a language for a bit of fun on the side without any solid goals, which is fine, but if we
are to form a Polish team I'd really like it to at least have a few people who are seriously and actively studying
Polish, so that we can all really help each other and get some energy and momentum going. Otherwise I'd
probably prefer to be in a team of people who are around the B2 level in Spanish and looking to get to C1+ by
the end of the year. Any intermediate/high intermediate Spanish learners around looking to do the TAC?

A Polish team sounds great to me, since Polish has always been my main focus language. I also am actively studying Spanish - I'd say I'm around a high intermediate/low basic fluency.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4749 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 134 of 361
11 December 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
An update about the German/Chinese team, we have decided to go with the name:

Team 德

And the members are pretty much the same as of this moment and are as follows - me,
Magdalene & Luna_Moonsilver.

So if any more would like to join our team, you are certainly welcome :]!

I think Magdalene is currently writing out a draft for our team thread, so that should
be up soon.

Furthermore, with regards to what the other said about checking up on teams in the
August period of 2012, it may be worth considering doing mergers with other teams if
the team has dwindled to just an individual.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 135 of 361
11 December 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
Vos wrote:
meramarina wrote:
I know we have many excellent and dedicated Polish learners/speakers here and I'd be
honored to receive any assistance and encouragement available. I've heard it's a difficult one.

Since I will be a raw newcomer to Slavic languages, I thought I might try keeping that part of my studies
somewhat separate for now. I don't mean to make any amazing progress with it yet, but it would be great to get
started, and if we can assemble a group of us, count me in!

I've been working on the other languages on my present list, and I'll continue, but I'm not so sure that the
language log idea I have for them right now is TAC-compatible. It's been delayed due to family issues, but the
longer I wait to begin it, the weirder it gets . . . so Polish should probably be kept as normal as possible, at
least in the beginning.

So, anyone else? You can belong to more than one team!

Amerykanka wrote:

I would be happy to join a Polish team - Polish is my favorite language ever.

So shall we do it then Meramarina and Amerykanka? Are there any more interested people out there who would
like to form a Polish team?
Also over the two years since I've been here I haven't seen too many people studying Polish as one of their main
languages, it's mostly been a language for a bit of fun on the side without any solid goals, which is fine, but if we
are to form a Polish team I'd really like it to at least have a few people who are seriously and actively studying
Polish, so that we can all really help each other and get some energy and momentum going. Otherwise I'd
probably prefer to be in a team of people who are around the B2 level in Spanish and looking to get to C1+ by
the end of the year. Any intermediate/high intermediate Spanish learners around looking to do the TAC?

A Polish team sounds great to me, since Polish has always been my main focus language. I also am actively studying Spanish - I'd say I'm around a high intermediate/low basic fluency.

I'm planning on working on my Polish and would gladly sign up for the Polish team. However I expect to spend more time on Finnish and Northern Saami for at least the first couple of months. Don't count on me to be filling the Polish team's log with postings in or about the language :-P

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 136 of 361
11 December 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
After getting some feedback from g-bod I've put out a thread for members to introduce themselves, TAC 2012 - Team い (Japanese). Any and all suggestions welcome!

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version