Joined 5865 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 105 of 361
09 December 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Would it make sense to have TAGS for each of the teams? Could we just tag our posts with the TAC team then?

That's a good question, I wanted to ask about TAGS. That would be great for me since my log will have a bunch of stuff about Turkish and German -- I'm sure anyone reading my log for Japanese might prefer to skip those posts.

By the way cathrynm, I see you're already doing the Finnish team. I'm sorry you're not doing Japanese :) I say that out of purely selfish reasons because I get a lot out of your Japanese posts!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4685 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 106 of 361
09 December 2011 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Okay, let me say something to rarely-studied (and endangered) languages TAC team idea. It was just an idea. I'm perfectly fine joining - let's say - the Romance team.

I happen to study (due to circumstances) 2 not widely studied languages; Luxembourgish, a minor Germanic one and Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect), an Iranian language as well as I study French. I joined this forum about 5,5 months ago and I'm really enjoying all the support and the ideas I get from here. So if you're interested in talking about your experiences in learning a rarely studied and/or endangered language, let's open a thread, we don't have to make it a TAC team.

@Serpent
Thanks for your invitation to the Romance/Slavic team, but as I only intend to start studying Russian next year (and I bet my Russian acquaintance from my bookkeeping course will kick my derrière if I don't) - and I know my attacks of wanderlust - I'd rather join a TAC team whose pre-conditions I fulfil. When we're both still here next year, perhaps we can form a TAC team in 2013. :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 107 of 361
09 December 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I'll be joining Tac 2012 , again making Russian my focus language. I will also keep trying to keep up my
Spanish and French, and revive Italian which I have hardly used this year and I will again try to improve
my German. I will presumably also give in to wanderlust in any language which catches my fancy. I can be
in any team of any language mix, but it would of course be helpful to be in a team with more people
studying Russian or with a native speaker of Russian. I am happy to help out in Norwegian and Spanish if
anyone is interested. My main wish for team mates regards motivation and input more than specific
languages. I get motivated by input, so I'd like to be in a team with a spirit of encouraging eachother. I
would however suggest that we make the teams larger this year. 5-8 people. Experience shows that in
most cases half of the participants drop out before summer, so with a large group you will hopefully still
have 2-3 team mates. Perhaps we should consider half year TACs so that it is easier to keep up
motivation? TAC Spring 2012, fall 2012 might do the trick?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 108 of 361
09 December 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
Okay, let me say something to rarely-studied (and endangered) languages TAC team idea. It was just an idea. I'm perfectly fine joining - let's say - the Romance team.

I happen to study (due to circumstances) 2 not widely studied languages; Luxembourgish, a minor Germanic one and Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect), an Iranian language as well as I study French. I joined this forum about 5,5 months ago and I'm really enjoying all the support and the ideas I get from here. So if you're interested in talking about your experiences in learning a rarely studied and/or endangered language, let's open a thread, we don't have to make it a TAC team.
I just guess that for many the lack of resources/native speakers to interact with can affect the motivation, so at least I'd love if this was a team :-) But sure, if there's not enough interest we can simply start a thread about it.

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 109 of 361
09 December 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Mani wrote:
Okay, let me say something to rarely-studied (and
endangered) languages TAC team idea. It was just an idea. I'm perfectly fine joining -
let's say - the Romance team.

I happen to study (due to circumstances) 2 not widely studied languages; Luxembourgish,
a minor Germanic one and Kurdish (Kurmanji dialect), an Iranian language as well as I
study French. I joined this forum about 5,5 months ago and I'm really enjoying all the
support and the ideas I get from here. So if you're interested in talking about your
experiences in learning a rarely studied and/or endangered language, let's open a
thread, we don't have to make it a TAC team.
I just guess that for many the lack
of resources/native speakers to interact with can affect the motivation, so at least
I'd love if this was a team :-) But sure, if there's not enough interest we can simply
start a thread about it.

Works for me.

It seems the Romance Languages team has caught on, and there's possible need for a
Russian one as well. @SolfridCristin, would you like to join the Romance/Slavic
team or be in another one focused just on Russian?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 110 of 361
09 December 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I'll be chock-a-block with work and exams up until the end of January, but would definitely be interested in pushing forward with Russian from Februrary 2012, and maybe Irish later on in the year too. A team with fellow Russian mountain climbers would be ideal! :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 111 of 361
09 December 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
@ Magdalene If there is a Russian team I'd love to be in that - particularly if Teango is in it, as he is one
of the most motivating members of this forum!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5865 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 112 of 361
09 December 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Perhaps we should consider half year TACs so that it is easier to keep up motivation? TAC Spring 2012, fall 2012 might do the trick?

I've enjoyed the yearly TAC so much that I've made all my goals long ones! If we change the TAC then I have to change my plan -- maybe not study so many languages (that's a disappointing thought!)

For those people wanting to attain certificates in June or November, the idea of a half-year TAC might be a good idea. I still enjoy the challenge of sticking it out for a whole year.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version