1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 113 of 361
09 December 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Perhaps we should consider half year TACs so
that it is easier to keep up motivation? TAC Spring 2012, fall 2012 might do the trick?

I've enjoyed the yearly TAC so much that I've made all my goals long ones! If we
change the TAC then I have to change my plan -- maybe not study so many languages
(that's a disappointing thought!)

For those people wanting to attain certificates in June or November, the idea of a
half-year TAC might be a good idea. I still enjoy the challenge of sticking it out for
a whole year.

I enjoyed attempting to stick it out all of 2011 as well but I do like the idea of the
year being split into two halves, too. Firstly, if it were to be split in two,
personally I would find it easier to carry on more consistently instead of using up all
my energy and motivation and burning out. Stopping for even a few weeks at some point
during the year makes me feel like I've "failed" to carry on with it all year, which I
suppose is my own problem but perhaps others feel that way too. Also, on a practical
note, I find that around the June or July mark I usually want to do some swapping
around with the languages I focus on. Just my two pence worth :]

Edited by LanguageSponge on 09 December 2011 at 1:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 114 of 361
09 December 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Sounds kind of complicated. We would have to ask team members to identify themselves as being "Jan-June" or "Jan-Dec". I suppose it could work. Managing team changes would be a full-time job. Who would have time to study?

I say whoever doesn't want to stick it out for a whole year should make their own log, or wait for the 6-Week challenge. That's also popular!

Edit: on a personal note, I -really- need a whole year to review Japanese! Maybe two ^^

Edited by Sunja on 09 December 2011 at 2:04pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 115 of 361
09 December 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
I am not insisting on anything, just trying out some proposals. It is a fact that people drop out. We can
counter that by making the teams larger or the period shorter. I am still in the TAC 2011, so personally I
have the stamina for a full year. I just thought that if we had one go let's say from January to June, and
then had July off, and then started up again in August, we might have more motivation. Those teams where
people are still all together could just continue if they liked, but those who were left on their own or with just
one other team member could regroup. It would also give those who would like to join later in the year a
chance. But again - just a suggestion. I am perfectly happy to do the whole year TAC.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 116 of 361
09 December 2011 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
These suggestions definitely have merit. I'm trying to imagine how we would keep an overview of the changes. I'll let others have a say here and I'll go with whatever the consensus is. I love this thing it whatever form it takes! :)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5742 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 117 of 361
09 December 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I really love the whole year aspect of the TAC. 6WC and tadoku are great in their own ways but as challenges get shorter they also get more specific, and a few weeks of down time can make the difference between success and failure. Within the space of a whole year it doesn't matter when real life gets in the way sometimes (which it inevitably does), because you still have the opportunity to pick up where you left off once normality returns.

Personally I feel a very real and demonstrable improvement in my level of Japanese over the past 12 months, despite having to put the bulk of my studies almost entirely on hold at certain points in the year thanks to the requirements of my postgrad degree. I don't think I would have got the same level of perspective and satisfaction from a shorter challenge.

I think a lot of the early dropouts are probably due to some kind of New Years Resolution syndrome and should just be accepted as part of the process. Larger teams initially, with teams being reviewed and, if necesary, reformed every few months, should hopefully help with this and make sure that everyone who wants to work in a team will continue to have this opportunity.
8 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6000 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 118 of 361
09 December 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
If I remember correctly the original TAC wasn't all-year, but later editions evolved into
being so. Although my own TAC track record isn't great, I like the idea of planning one
year ahead. And I've learnt three very important things from participating: fighting
wanderlust, setting up goals and studying regularly. Since July I've studied my target
languages almost every day. If I keep it up next year and start attending to my log I
should be able to sustain a whole year.

My main languages will continue to be Russian and French with some Italian on the side.
Possibly some Latin or Polish or Estonian or Arabic or Greek or Dutch as well. Russian is
still the great challenge, so I would like to be on a Russian team.

//aloysius
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 119 of 361
09 December 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
As for encouraging year-long participation... I have to admit when I saw an unfamiliar username with a TAC 2010 Winner badge, I assumed these are given like these NaNo ones. For participation, for making it. Of course voting is also fun but maybe for some the thought of a participant badge would provide much needed motivation? <3
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 120 of 361
10 December 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
PRO ONE FULL YEAR TAC CHALLENGE

I definitely prefer a full year TAC challenge, because from January to December of one year it's easiest to schedule. And my previous TAC - years went well, so I see no reason for not continuing the same way.

Fasulye

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version