United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4741 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 121 of 361
10 December 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I do personally think the year one is best too, as as someone else mentioned, life gets
in the way and time always seems so short - for example if your away for a week, that's
still a week that counts toward the end goal of your plans. Still I do understand that
people prefer shorter goals as it keeps them more motivated.

For me though 52 weeks beats 26 in my books =]!

Edited by NickJS on 10 December 2011 at 4:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 122 of 361
10 December 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
We could also have it both ways. Some voting/awards in July and then a chance for everyone to come back and do more.

So that if the end of the world comes after July, there was at least some reward first.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 123 of 361
11 December 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I'd definitely like to participate in TAC this year, with my two languages being:

Russian (currently intermediate)
German (currently high-end beginner--that is, almost intermediate)

@SolfridCristin, if you're starting a Russian group, I'd be very interested in joining, if you'd have me! :-)

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5035 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 124 of 361
11 December 2011 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Here's my 2012 Plan:

French - Newbie - B2

Russian - Newbie - B2

Japanese - Intermediate - C1

Okay, maybe not the most realistic plan, but crazy goals like this seem to motivate me. So I am going for it! Also, I'd like to join the Romance + Slavic Team.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 125 of 361
11 December 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
I'd definitely like to participate in TAC this year, with my two languages being:

Russian (currently intermediate)
German (currently high-end beginner--that is, almost intermediate)

@SolfridCristin, if you're starting a Russian group, I'd be very interested in joining, if you'd have me! :-)

You are most welcome! I would love to have a strong Russian team, and being at an intermediate level, I
am sure you would be a great asset to the group.

As for the length of the challenge it looks like it is sensible to keep the one year length, but we could
perhaps allow for bigger teams and the possibility to regroup in August for those who feel that their group
has become too little.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5348 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 126 of 361
11 December 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
I know we have many excellent and dedicated Polish learners/speakers here and I'd be
honored to receive any assistance and encouragement available. I've heard it's a difficult one.

Since I will be a raw newcomer to Slavic languages, I thought I might try keeping that part of my studies
somewhat separate for now. I don't mean to make any amazing progress with it yet, but it would be great to get
started, and if we can assemble a group of us, count me in!

I've been working on the other languages on my present list, and I'll continue, but I'm not so sure that the
language log idea I have for them right now is TAC-compatible. It's been delayed due to family issues, but the
longer I wait to begin it, the weirder it gets . . . so Polish should probably be kept as normal as possible, at
least in the beginning.

So, anyone else? You can belong to more than one team!

Amerykanka wrote:

I would be happy to join a Polish team - Polish is my favorite language ever.

So shall we do it then Meramarina and Amerykanka? Are there any more interested people out there who would
like to form a Polish team?
Also over the two years since I've been here I haven't seen too many people studying Polish as one of their main
languages, it's mostly been a language for a bit of fun on the side without any solid goals, which is fine, but if we
are to form a Polish team I'd really like it to at least have a few people who are seriously and actively studying
Polish, so that we can all really help each other and get some energy and momentum going. Otherwise I'd
probably prefer to be in a team of people who are around the B2 level in Spanish and looking to get to C1+ by
the end of the year. Any intermediate/high intermediate Spanish learners around looking to do the TAC?

I'm just saying this as my last two TAC teams basically disintegrated into nothing within the first month (with the
exception of Iolanthe of course) and I was left to carry the flag alone for the rest of the year, which isn't the most
inspiring. (Thanks to Crush, Renee, Iguanamon and all those who have helped and given me some tips,
corrections and motivation along the way despite not being part of my team). I just believe that the TAC
challenge really can boost and support a persons studies if they have a good team of motivated people who can
go the distance, as I've seen in other teams such as Reneemona's and Solfrid's amongst others, which is why I
agree it's a good idea that we have larger teams this year to accomodate for that initial loss of numbers.
Also that the TAC team concept actually does have a lot of potential to help people with their languages, if
dedicated people come together and try to reach their goals which they put forth at the beginning of the year,
but that unfortunately in the last two years the drop off rate has been massive, leaving many people without team
mates and thus without that potential extra motivation and help that comes with being a part of a team. So this
year let's really try to amend this and raise the bar a little, as I'm sure that most people would agree that the
more people that manage to stay in the TAC the much more interesting and stimulating it becomes. Of course I
understand though that life gets in the way sometimes and things can happen which may stop you from
continuing, and if that's the case, then that's completely understandable. But for new people who are interested
in joining the TAC, please be aware that although of course it's simply an enjoyable thing to be a part of, if your
hearts not in it or you know that you're not going to be able to continue say past March or May etc, perhaps
consider doing a Personal TAC or a 6 week challenge, so that the teams have a chance to become established
thus hopefully allowing everyone within them to make some good progress and encourage and push each other
on. Anyway, let's try to make this year's TAC the most inspiring yet and nice work to everyone who has again
completed another full year of the challenge!

Also this is merely an open letter on what I've seen happen to a few teams in previous years.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Perhaps we should consider half year TACs so that it is easier to keep up motivation?
TAC Spring 2012, fall 2012 might do the trick?

As with those who wrote earlier, I agree that you raise some valid points, but I really do prefer a year long
challenge, for all the reasons already mentioned, and for simply being that as is in the name, a challenge.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5348 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 127 of 361
11 December 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

As for the length of the challenge it looks like it is sensible to keep the one year length, but we could
perhaps allow for bigger teams and the possibility to regroup in August for those who feel that their group
has become too little.

Wholeheartedly agree with that.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 128 of 361
11 December 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
It's exciting to read all the Team logs of *jäŋe / *ledús, Freutsch (French/German), ne nur, and Team Žá. I'd like to draft a list of members for Team い (Japanese), but as far as I know, it's still just g-bod and I.

Can we expand Team い to include other Asian languages? That way we might attract more members. I know there's a few people with active logs who are learning Mandarin, Cantonese...

I'm learning Turkish - that counts. Are the Arabic languages included on a team yet?

edit: typo

Edited by Sunja on 11 December 2011 at 9:05am

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version