ampzor
United States
Joined 4745 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 217 of 361
25 December 2011 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I am also new here. But I have been wondering around reading this site for awhile now and I have decided that enough is enough. I am going to start taking my language learning seriously. Here is my info:

Language(s) you plan to study: German, and possibly Spanish

Your current level(s): German A1 (been dabbling around since last spring), Spanish A1 (took two years on Spanish in high school but I don't remember much)

Your goals for the challenge: German - Active B1 and Passive B2 (Active A2 and Passive B1 by Summer), Spanish - Active A2 and Passive B1

Whether you would like to be on a team or an individual participant: Being on a team would be ideal. I am most concerned about picking up German so if there is not an open team for both German and Spanish, I would like to find a German team.

I want to mention that I am an engineering student and like many others on this forum I have a busy life. But I am confident that I can devote at least an hour or two a day towards my languages. Due to tests, projects, and homework I may have to move around my study hours to different parts of the day. This will be my last "real" semester of college until I hit my senior design classes which will open up more free-time next Fall.

That being said, if there is anyone out there wanting to form/incorporate me into their team, please let me know! I know many of the users on this forum are not native speakers of English so I might be able to offer something there as well as a bit of homework help ;).

Browsing through this thread I found that the following people would probably go great together (either looking at learning just German or German and another language):

PacoBell
Ligador
AlephBey
ummagumma
Just a Dreamer
Hidden
Serpent
ChristianVlcek
kyknos

If any of you guys are interested let me know!

Edited by ampzor on 25 December 2011 at 5:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5669 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 218 of 361
25 December 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
I've already started my language log, Endlich Deutsch!, and would gladly join a German team.

Though I'm always learning other languages (even Portuguese, it must be said), my focus during the entire year of 2012 will be German.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 219 of 361
25 December 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
ampzor wrote:

PacoBell
Ligador
AlephBey
ummagumma
Just a Dreamer
Hidden
Serpent
ChristianVlcek
kyknos

thanks, but I've already signed up for two teams. Team Germanic/Sinitic allows you to join if you study either/or rather than one from both groups.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5480 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 220 of 361
25 December 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone yet made a list of all the teams that have been created so far?

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4835 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 221 of 361
26 December 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Jinx, I think you should consult message 149 here.

Edited by Takato on 26 December 2011 at 10:59am

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5160 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 222 of 361
26 December 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
I would like to join the TAC 2012 studying Hindi and Irish. Both are at a beginner level. With Hindi I intend to spend a few months in India at the beginning of 2013, if the opportunity arises. If not, I'd like to have it anyway. Irish is much more of a hobby subject, and I'd like to dedicate most of my time to Hindi. I'd like to be in a team that studies both, if possible, or even just one of the languages. I'm aware they're both less common.

I will not be able to compete for the whole year, but for long spurts I can be motivated. Particularly at the beginning of the year I will have little other work, as the first few months of any university semester aren't too stressful.

Thanks!

---

Second edit:

I would like to propose for, and with support make, the Rarely Studied Languages group. I don't think an Indic or Celtic group is likely to turn up, plus I will do some Icelandic in addition.

On this thread, you guys all expressed some degree of interest in joining, and if you don't object to joining two teams, I would like to invite you in.

Mani
Serpent
Chung (I know you're in the Finno-Ugric group as well)
Pertklic

Thanks again. Sending a message to you all. We would need a name ... perhaps "Team ?" would do, although in this forum I doubt many languages would even raise an eyebrow.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 26 December 2011 at 5:02am

leisaowns
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 223 of 361
26 December 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
I decided I'd like to take part in this year's challenge! I got some new language learning books for Christmas that I'd really like to use to both their and my fullest potential.

This upcoming year I plan to focus primarily and intensively on Japanese. I'll also be studying Mandarin, Modern Standard Arabic, French, and maybe some Portuguese if I can handle it.
I'd say I'm at a lower intermediate level in Japanese, though I'm not entirely sure. I'm an advanced beginner in Mandarin, and beginner in MSA, French, and Portugese. Yeah, something like that...
I just want to feel comfortable and confident in my Japanese abilities by the end of the year. I want to get rid of the anxiety I feel every time one of my Japanese friends instant messages me. I'd also like to be able to read through the Japanese readers I've acquired this Christmas without slaving over a dictionary. For Mandarin, I suppose I'd like to finish my online classes for it and work through the Living Language Mandarin book. For Arabic, I just want to be able to speak, read, write, and comprehend simple sentences (This language is going to be so tough - I'm already getting frusturated with the alphabet! haha). I'd also like to finish Assimil French With Ease, and maybe even my Everything Brazilian Portugese book.
I'd like to join Team い since my main focus will be on Japanese.
This is probably a lot of work I'm setting up for myself, but I have so much downtime in school. I'm up for the challenge!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 224 of 361
26 December 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
I would like to propose for, and with support make, the Rarely Studied Languages group. I don't think an Indic or Celtic group is likely to turn up, plus I will do some Icelandic in addition.

On this thread, you guys all expressed some degree of interest in joining, and if you don't object to joining two teams, I would like to invite you in.

Mani
Serpent
Chung (I know you're in the Finno-Ugric group as well)
Pertklic

Thanks again. Sending a message to you all. We would need a name ... perhaps "Team ?" would do, although in this forum I doubt many languages would even raise an eyebrow.

The first matter would be to define "rarely studied language". Rarely studied by whom? I'm not sure if I'd call Hindustani a rarely studied language no matter what outsiders may think as having nearly 500 million speakers (L1 & L2) must count for something. I suggest three ways to get around this problem although all of these will leave Hindustani out, and even Icelandic would be squeezed out in my third suggestion.

The first idea is to do a reverse "Top 40" list. In other words the first 40 languages ranked in descending order by number of native speakers cannot be studied but what's left is open. The 40 languages on the "anti-playlist" are:

Arabic
Awadhi
Bengali
Bhojpuri
Burmese
Cantonese
English
Farsi (includes Dari, Tajik and Hazara)
French
German
Gujarati
Hakka
Hindi-Urdu
Italian
Japanese
Javanese
Kannada
Korean
Maithili
Malay/Indonesian
Malayalam
Mandarin
Marathi
Marwari
Oriya
Pashto
Polish
Portuguese
Punjabi
Russian
Shanghainese
Spanish
Sundanese
Taiwanese
Tamil
Telugu
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
Xiang (Hunanese)

The second idea is to take the hackneyed cry of "We are the 99%" and apply it to grouping languages to study. Basically 60 languages or the nefarious "1%" of the 6000 odd languages as ranked by number of native speakers are excluded. The remaining 99% (~ 5940 languages) forms the only "worthy" choices. The "1%" that's to be excluded is:

Amharic
Arabic
Assamese
Awadhi
Azeri
BCMS / Serbo-Croatian
Bengali
Bhojpuri
Burmese
Cantonese
Chhattisgarhi
Dutch
English
Farsi (includes Dari, Tajik and Hazara)
French
Gan
German
Gujarati
Hakka
Hausa
Hindi-Urdu
Igbo
Italian
Japanese
Javanese
Kannada
Korean
Kurdish
Lao-Isan
Maithili
Malay/Indonesian
Malayalam
Mandarin
Marathi
Marwari
Northern Berber
Oriya
Oromo
Pashto
Polish
Portuguese
Punjabi
Rajasthani
Romanian
Russian
Shanghainese
Sindhi
Spanish
Sundanese
Tagalog
Taiwanese
Tamil
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Uzbek
Vietnamese
Xiang (Hunanese)
Yoruba

Yes, I note the irony of this suggestion because this 1% of the world's languages counts over 4 billion native speakers or about 60% of the world's population (4 billion out of 7 billion). In other words the top 60 languages by number of native speakers are spoken natively by about 60% of the Earth's population.

The third way takes the related suggestion of a team for endangered (plus vulnerable?) languages. UNESCO has an interactive map and list showing the vitality of languages and divides endangerment further into three grades (incidentally, UNESCO classifies Northern Saami as "definitely endangered" which is worse than "vulnerable" but better than "severely endangered" to say nothing of "critically endangered" and "extinct"). Moreover "vulnerable" and "definitely endangered languages" would be rarely studied (e.g. Faroese, Maori, Rapa Nui).

Anyway, I don't have anything against being part of a third team. As I had mentioned earlier, my study of Northern Saami would neatly qualify my learning a rarely studied language although it seems a bit incidental. My focus remains on Finnish and Northern Saami for now. Yet after I finish Davvin 2, the latter may be replaced by another language which might not be endangered, vulnerable or on a "black list". On one hand, Belorussian, Livonian and Mari would be "safe" choices under any of the criteria that I've mentioned but Latvian and Ukrainian don't fit in at least one of these criteria.

If I were to be a member of this team, I probably wouldn't be as active as on Team *jäŋe / *ledús since I feel that I should show some loyalty to my study group. My posts here would be limited to linking to my log whenever I put down an entry about a rarely studied language.

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version