PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5154 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 225 of 361
26 December 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm not suggesting that Hindustani is a rare language (rare enough on this forum!), and wish to join more for study of Irish. Being so diverse in languages the team would be a motivation rather than a direct help for me. Alas, so few people study either of the two on the forum that I can't really enter a group. I could join a Germanic one on the basis of Icelandic, as I now live in Iceland yet my Icelandic's not strong, but I'd rather not do that.

I like your suggestions, although it needn't be so defined. How about: if a language is vulnerable for UNESCO or not in the top 40 languages, it can be studied for the group? Many non-vulnerable, national languages are almost never studied by forum members.

Thanks for responding and I understand that I might end up being the most frequent poster.

---

I might also suggest, if Rarely Studied Languages is too broad a category to get most people's interest, and because I would like TAC to benefit me more, a group like the Germanic-Sinitic one, in that it combines language groups. Perhaps an Indo-Iranian and Celtic group? Or Celtic and Germanic? Anything in combination, containing those first 2. Up for suggestions from anyone reading this.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 26 December 2011 at 1:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4867 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 226 of 361
26 December 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
I think "rarely studied languages" was always meant to include languages that are comparatively seldom studied _on this forum_. I don't know whether that is the case for Hindi, Irish or Icelandic. Hindi at least seems prominent, the corresponding language tag is in big fat red letters.

In my particular case, I was considering enrolling with Vietnamese. Looking through archives, I saw very few discussions related to Vietnamese, but I see many about the "prominent" languages: Spanish, French, German, Russian, even Polish, Mandarin, Japanese. This, in my mind, qualifies Vietnamese among Rarely Studied Languages, even though it has 80M speakers or so and there's quite a selection of learning materials.

That said, Team East Asia is already formed, and I'll be part of that. If it breaks up, I'll be happy to join "Team Ր" (my proposal on the name. It's an R sound in Armenian, which I picked because it seems obscure enough), but otherwise I'll stay where I am.

Just a Dreamer
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 4792 days ago

59 posts - 62 votes 
Studies: English, French

Message 227 of 361
26 December 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
ampzor wrote:

Browsing through this thread I found that the following people would probably go great together (either looking at learning just German or German and another language):

PacoBell
Ligador
AlephBey
ummagumma
Just a Dreamer
Hidden
Serpent
ChristianVlcek
kyknos

If any of you guys are interested let me know!

I don't know, but If there's a team for German It would be nice, or German with a Romance language.
or team with this title "Germanic languages + Romance languages", I know there's "Freutsch team" but I'm talking about wider category than this...

Robert

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5037 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 228 of 361
26 December 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Is there an updated list of teams/participants? And what about languages being studied?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 229 of 361
26 December 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
@PaulLambeth
Great to see someone else taking on Irish for the 2012 TAC. That makes at least two of us now. Ádh mór ort (good luck)! :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5866 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 230 of 361
26 December 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Our Japanese Team い has grown fast over the past week! here's an update of the members:

g-bod
sunja
Brun_Ugle
pineappleboom (also on the Romance Slavic Team)
fortheo
kraemder
Everplayer
The Real CZ
Takato
leisaowns

I hope I haven't missed anyone! Not everybody has a TAC log yet but I'm keeping a list of team member logs here.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 231 of 361
26 December 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
I'm not suggesting that Hindustani is a rare language (rare enough on this forum!), and wish to join more for study of Irish. Being so diverse in languages the team would be a motivation rather than a direct help for me. Alas, so few people study either of the two on the forum that I can't really enter a group. I could join a Germanic one on the basis of Icelandic, as I now live in Iceland yet my Icelandic's not strong, but I'd rather not do that.

I like your suggestions, although it needn't be so defined. How about: if a language is vulnerable for UNESCO or not in the top 40 languages, it can be studied for the group? Many non-vulnerable, national languages are almost never studied by forum members.

Thanks for responding and I understand that I might end up being the most frequent poster.

---

I might also suggest, if Rarely Studied Languages is too broad a category to get most people's interest, and because I would like TAC to benefit me more, a group like the Germanic-Sinitic one, in that it combines language groups. Perhaps an Indo-Iranian and Celtic group? Or Celtic and Germanic? Anything in combination, containing those first 2. Up for suggestions from anyone reading this.

Not top 40 or rated by UNESCO as vulnerable or worse seems sensible and in that case you could put me down as a rather quiet member.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 232 of 361
26 December 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:

Jinx, I think you should consult message 149 here.

Perfect, thanks for the link, Takato!

Although I'm already on two teams myself (Freutsch and Catalan) and am therefore booked up, I would like to suggest that a just-German team be created, on the basis of the last few pages of posts in this thread. Many teams are getting rather large already, and there seems to be an unprecedented number of people focusing (exclusively or simply primarily) on German for this TAC. Just my two cents!

Edited by Jinx on 26 December 2011 at 6:57pm

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version