Triglot
United States
Joined 5423 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 233 of 361
26 December 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
If I'm studying both Mandarin Chinese and Portuguese, which team should I join? Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 234 of 361
26 December 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Sinitic-Romance team yet (you could try to propose one!) but you do have a few teams that would welcome you anyway since most groups meant for people studying languages from at least two families take it as "either-or".

Team Žá (at least one from Romance or Slavonic)
Team 德 (at least one from Sinitic or Germanic)
Team The Romantics (at least one from Romance)
Team East Asia (provisionally: Team 龍 / Луу) (at least one of Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, a Sinitic language (e.g. Cantonese, Mandarin, Taiwanese), Thai, Tibetan or Vietnamese)

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4968 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 235 of 361
26 December 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:

...Although I'm already on two teams myself (Freutsch and Catalan) and am therefore booked up, I would like to
suggest that a just-German team be created, on the basis of the last few pages of posts in this thread. Many teams
are getting rather large already, and there seems to be an unprecedented number of people focusing (exclusively or
simply primarily) on German for this TAC. Just my two cents!

Looking at the thread, it seems a good suggestion, Jinx. Or even "Just Germanic..", to include anyone
studying Dutch.   I'm already happily signed up for The Romantics, but perhaps one of the German-learners might
like to take the ball and run with this. - That is, start up a Germanic team...?   

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 236 of 361
26 December 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
to join Team Žá you gotta study/speak both one Romance and one Slavic language, sorry. there are separate teams for just Romance and just Slavic (along with Finno-Ugric)

@songlines, team Germanic/Sinitic fits just fine as in this case you're not required to study two languages, only German or Dutch will also do :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 237 of 361
27 December 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen Georgian come up in any of the TAC 2012 proposals yet (took a while to go through the 30 pages of the thread :-)), so I figured I'd ask.

I have some pretty specific goals I'd like to accomplish with this language, even though it won't be my main focus for 2012. It'd be nice to be able to join a team to keep my motivation up.

So, is Rarely Studied Languages not official? Or is there another team in which Georgian would be a fit?

R.
==

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5132 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 238 of 361
27 December 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
I haven't seen Georgian come up in any of the TAC 2012 proposals yet (took a while to go through the 30 pages of the thread :-)), so I figured I'd ask.

I have some pretty specific goals I'd like to accomplish with this language, even though it won't be my main focus for 2012. It'd be nice to be able to join a team to keep my motivation up.

So, is Rarely Studied Languages not official? Or is there another team in which Georgian would be a fit?

R.
==

I'm happy to make Rarely Studied Languages official, if you would also like to be in. Even if there's no language cognates, which seems likely for us both, it would be nice to make a team for competition, support and interest's sake. Maybe I can learn something about Georgian through your posts!

Still up for being part of a second team if any Celtic/Indo-Iranian combinations come up. I think I'll keep an eye on, but not join, the Germanic groups, because where I live I'm surrounded by Scandinavians.

@Teango, good luck yourself! I'll read your blog happily. Thanks so much for linking me to those Irish materials earlier; I forgot to respond but that's a huge handy list.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 27 December 2011 at 2:30am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 239 of 361
27 December 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:

I'm happy to make Rarely Studied Languages official, if you would also like to be in. Even if there's no language cognates, which seems likely for us both, it would be nice to make a team for competition, support and interest's sake. Maybe I can learn something about Georgian through your posts!

Definitely! Count me in. I'm sure we could get a couple more people that want a language not covered by the other groups too.

R.
==

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5132 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 240 of 361
27 December 2011 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
PaulLambeth wrote:

Definitely! Count me in. I'm sure we could get a couple more people that want a language not covered by the other groups too.

R.
==

Okay, I'll make the thread. You're doing just Georgian this coming year?

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version