tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5656 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 55
05 December 2011 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Duolingo is a new project to translate most of the Internet into all the world's major
languages while teaching second languages to millions of people for free. Before you
close this window, have a look at least at the first link below. It is a TED video by
Luis von Ahn, the inventor of CAPTCHAs. He is a very brilliant thinker and achiever,
and compelling and entertaining. He explains what these new dubble reCAPTCHAs are and
what they are achieving. And he explains Duolingo. The video is really worth watching.
Whether it will work? What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=cQl6jUjFjp4

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/12/duolin
go/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duolingo

10 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4655 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 55
05 December 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
That sounds very exciting. And it seems to make a lot of sense. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5350 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 55
07 December 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
That does look interesting, and I still can hardly believe the timescales they were suggesting (errr... translate the whole of the English web into Spanish in 80 hrs... or was it just wikipedia ? either way it sounded potentially impressive)

Presumably if there were enough users, it could actually work almost instantaneously like google translate. It would be great to type in a sentence, and then see all the attempts flashing up, which would gradually merge into the definative text.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4655 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 

Message 4 of 55
08 December 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
That does look interesting, and I still can hardly believe the timescales they were suggesting (errr... translate the whole of the English web into Spanish in 80 hrs... or was it just wikipedia ? either way it sounded potentially impressive)

Presumably if there were enough users, it could actually work almost instantaneously like google translate. It would be great to type in a sentence, and then see all the attempts flashing up, which would gradually merge into the definative text.

I believe that their reasoning is faulty. Assuming, as they apparently do, that they are starting out with beginners in the language, there are large chunks of the web that would need more advanced students to translate, but how advanced can a student become in 80 hours?

They seem to be assuming that each and every student will advance just as quickly as they need to have them advance to keep translating at that pace. In real life you are likely to get the simplest 20% translated very quickly, the median 60% translated more slowly, and the last, most difficult 20% translated very slowly since it will take a long time for the new beginners to become proficient enough to handle that high-level 20%.

There is also the drop-out factor. Students may start out very interested and motivated, but drop out before getting much beyond early intermediate level. Then you will end up with a very large supply of beginners, a handful of intermediates, and almost no advanced students at all. So in reality that high-end 20% of really difficult text might never get translated at all.

This is all just hypothesizing off the top of my head, of course.

--gary

Edited by fiziwig on 08 December 2011 at 1:09am

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5656 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 5 of 55
19 December 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I have just received my invitation to become a participant in Duolingo. It is just
getting started in "beta" testing mode and you have to request an invitation. I expect
everyone who asks will soon receive an invitation now that they have gotten started in
Spanish and German, with Italian, French and Chinese coming soon. It was only a couple
of weeks from when I applied that I got an invitation.

I started in Spanish. At the beginning you have to work your way through a very basic
course to either confirm your ability in the language or learn the basics of the
language. It is very thorough and very well thought out. It has basic words and
sentences with articles, nouns and verbs. You do both reading, writing, listening and
speaking (via your microphone). Your responses, including your speaking, are evaluated.
You are graded and then you move on to the next lesson. It looks like there will be
ever-increasing levels until you reach a proficiency that will enable you to begin to
contribute by (in this case, translating parts of the Internet from Spanish into
English).

Duolingo has a good feel to it. It seems to be high quality. I think it is probably
going to work with its dual purpose of translating (at least parts of) the Internet and
teaching languages. I think it would appeal to many HTLAL members. Give it a try. It is
free. It is easy, and it is fun.

http://duolingo.com/

Edited by tommus on 19 December 2011 at 6:14pm

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4655 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 

Message 6 of 55
20 December 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Just started doing the lessons this morning. It looks really good so far. I've also translated 5 live sentences from the web so far. :)

My advice to anyone who wants to try this:

1) Type very carefully, and then proofread before you click the "check" button. The program has ZERO tolerance for typos and spelling errors. Go slow. It's not a race to the finish line.

2) It knows "you all" but doesn't recognize "you (plural)" in an answer.

3) Listen carefully to the voice. In the recordings it can be very difficult sometimes to tell the differences between masculine and feminine endings. "niña" and "niño" can be hard to tell apart at times, as can "ellos" and "ellas". Use the audio replay button when you are unsure.

4) Take breaks from time to time. Don't push too hard or you'll start making stupid errors and losing points for things you should have gotten right.

For some strange reason I've always had trouble spelling the Spanish word for "orange". After getting the dreaded red "WRONG" message a couple times, I finally started spelling it right, and there's no way I'm going to forget it again! It's just too dang humiliating to get red flagged on a simple word I darn well should know how to spell!

All in all, I'm loving it, even though I haven't really gotten to anything new yet. It's been excellent review of the stuff I already knew, and good reinforcement for the stuff I was a little shaky on.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5801 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 55
20 December 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Bad news, 15:51 "they learn it about as well as the leading language learning software" -- and we all know what the leading language learning software is....
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5801 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 8 of 55
20 December 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I've had another look (and applied to join the beta) but I suspect they'll find that in the long-term it's not as effective as they hoped.

They demonstrated the problem with a machine translation of Japanese to English -- a notoriously difficult language pair. They then proceeded to demonstrate proof of concept with German->English, a relatively easy translation. The beta programme is allowing that and adding Spanish->English, which is also an easy translation.

The video is self-contradictory -- it seems to say that you translate to your native language, but it tells us that Spanish learners can translate wikipedia to Spanish.

Chinese is on their "coming soon" list, and I think they'll find out very quickly that with a language pair that different, it just won't work.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version