tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5656 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 49 of 55
07 March 2012 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
I have been unable to do much Duolingo in the last 10 days due to a computer audio problem and some other very busy commitments. But I am back.

I was asked via PM for an update on DuoLingo. There are more improvements. They now highlight important parts of words such as the endings on verbs. That is very handy and catches your eye. They have implemented my suggestion to have two buttons for audio speed; one for normal speed audio and one for slow-speed audio. Prior to the two buttons, the system reverted to only slow speed on the first repetition. And they have a new "reward" system showing in a nice shiny gold star that I am at Level 8 Spanish on my way to level 9. There is no extension in the size of the course, but I have quite a ways to go before I am finished. But it would be nice to know if there is a follow-on Spanish course. If not, I'll just continue with my German which is back at level 1.

1 person has voted this message useful

Birddog
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5303 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 55
07 March 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks tommus, much appreciated!

Birddog.

tommus
Joined 5656 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 51 of 55
23 May 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
DuoLingo going public on June 19

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/22/recaptcha-founders-language -learning-site-duolingo-to-open-to-the-public-on-june-19/

Days to go

http://duolingo.com/

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5046 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 52 of 55
23 May 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Hopefully the site wont crash as tens of times more people begin to use it.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4043 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 53 of 55
24 July 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
The website is apparently going to have user supported languages in the end of this year and I'm stoked because I really want to get to translating courses into Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
Joined 5656 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 54 of 55
25 July 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I have found time to get back to DuoLingo, and my Spanish has come back quickly. And I'll resume my French and German. I hope Dutch will be added soon. I have installed the new DuoLingo ap on my Android tablet, and it works great.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4044 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 55 of 55
21 December 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
A few months ago Duolingo introduced their language incubator which allows users to create their own language courses in the Duolingo format. Very recently the first user created course has been completed and is now in beta testing, English for Russian speakers. Currently the incubator only supports learning English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Italian courses, but there are quite a few other base languages available. I believe that fairly soon they plan to allow users to create courses for any of the base languages offered now, and then later open it up so that users can create courses for any language combination of their choosing.

You can see the status of new courses here

http://incubator.duolingo.com/

Edited by YnEoS on 21 December 2013 at 6:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version