Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 14
15 July 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
I suspect very strongly that if you want to learn Chuvash, you're best to look for stuff published in English, German or Russian. Even here, you might need to jump some hoops as one graduate student found out.

I just ran a short search of "Çuvaş ders kitabı" (Chuvash textbook) and "Çuvaşça dersler" and got little in the way of results. There is a book on grammar "Çuvaş Türkçesi Grameri" and a dictionary Çuvaş Türkçesi - Türkiye Türkçesi Sözlük " but I couldn't find any textbook. What I also find interesting is that a course of Chuvash offered at a Turkish university (?) uses English and Russian material as the primary textbooks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4013 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 14
20 July 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Damn, thanks. Maybe it would actually be easiest to travel to Chuvashia to learn it if I ever do then. I'm just interested in Chuvash because apparently it's had a lot of reciprocal influence with a handful of FU-languages which is interesting.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 11 of 14
20 July 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
You probably know about this, but that same graduate student I mentioned, Chris Culver, has some entries in his blog about the contacts between the Uralic and Turkic languages spoken near the junction of the Volga and Kama rivers. You may these especially interesting.

New Chuvash resources from Turku (this post is from 2008 but maybe you can still get some information about these books since you're in Finland)
The uncertain etymology of Mari plural markers I
The uncertain etymology of Mari plural markers II
Mari loans with initial ś- or y- in Chuvash
Mari and Chuvash potatoes
Favours in Mari and Turkic
The peculiar replacement of the basic GO verb in Mari and Chuvash
Two Turkic idioms in Mari
Mari and Chuvash days of the week
Turkic influence on Mari
Chuvash and Mari videos at YouTube
Udmurt and Tatar days of the week

Basically, you could spend a lot of time browsing Culver's posts that are tagged with Chuvash, Mari, Turkic and Udmurt among several others listed under "Categories" on the upper right of his blog.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4013 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 14
25 July 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
According to Eric the Uralic and Altaic series publications can be bought through Indiana University for relatively cheap, I don't know whether the price is their digitization-tax or what though.

"THIS VOLUME IS PUBLISHED BY INDIANA UNIVERSITY AND MAY BE ORDERED FROM THE EDITOR, URALIC AND ALTAIC SERIES, RAYL HOUSE, INDIANA UNIVERSITY, BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA 47401, FOR $5.50. (AMM)"

There's an online manual on this website but it's in separate units and everything so it's a bit annoying. I'll see if I can print it out or something, sometime.

It's just one of those "I'd like to do" but if finding materials is this laborous it'll be quite annoying. Time'll tell.

daristani
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 13 of 14
27 July 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
The ERIC info on the Indiana Uralic and Altaic series of books is way out of date; IU doesn't publish them any longer, and the more recent reprinted editions by Routledge (nothing other than a reprint of the originally typewriter texts) are ridiculously expensive.

The Mongolia Society sells a reprint of the Krueger Chuvash Manual for 25 dollars here: http://www.mongoliasociety.org/?q=section/200706225.htm

PDFs can also be found at "certain places" on-line.

Note that Kruger's book is a distillation of the Russian grammatical works available to him at the time. He never heard Chuvash spoken. So while his manual can be useful for getting a basic idea of the written language, it won't much help in developing any conversational ability.    

Edited by daristani on 29 July 2014 at 1:50pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 14 of 14
29 July 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
According to Eric the Uralic and Altaic series publications can be bought through Indiana University for relatively cheap, I don't know whether the price is their digitization-tax or what though.

"THIS VOLUME IS PUBLISHED BY INDIANA UNIVERSITY AND MAY BE ORDERED FROM THE EDITOR, URALIC AND ALTAIC SERIES, RAYL HOUSE, INDIANA UNIVERSITY, BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA 47401, FOR $5.50. (AMM)"

There's an online manual on this website but it's in separate units and everything so it's a bit annoying. I'll see if I can print it out or something, sometime.

It's just one of those "I'd like to do" but if finding materials is this laborous it'll be quite annoying. Time'll tell.

On a related note, I ran searches using “самоучитель [insert language name in genitive case]” and “уроки [insert language name in genitive case]” and found a few interesting things for myself in Uralic and Turkic languages spoken in Russia. Since you're studying Russian, you can cast your net for resources wider than I can. Perhaps you can also find a newer set of material for Chuvash that's issued in Russian but which somehow eluded Chris Culver's attention. For example, this playlist of lessons might be helpful for you to get a taste of Chuvash.

As for myself, I found some interesting online material for Kazakh and Tatar. I'm sure that I could uncover some other gems (that are legal too!) for Uralic and other Turkic languages if I consider material that's issued in Russian. On the other hand, it's probably better that my Russian remain at a virtually useless level since I'd be otherwise seized with unmanageable wanderlust.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version