Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5928 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 9 of 28
10 December 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll attempt to follow the system of dividing the year into quarters with two focus languages per quarter again this year. However, Croatian will remain a constant focus language for the entire year. Here's my preliminary schedule:

January - March: Croatian, Japanese
I choose Japanese because I plan to take the AP Japanese exam in May and a few months of intensive preparation outside of school before the exam sounds like a good idea.
April - June: Croatian, Persian
I don't have a specific reason for putting Persian here other than because I wanted to put my other languages elsewhere.
July - September: Croatian, Swahili
Swahili just seems like a fitting language for the summer... Probably because I went to Tanzania in July.
October - December: Croatian, Russian
I'm scheduling Russian for the last quarter of the year because I want to wait until my Croatian is strong enough before working on Russian intensively, so as to avoid confusion.

As for the 6 Week Challenge Periods:
February to mid-March: Croatian
That one is obvious. I need to focus on Croatian as much as possible so that I don't die when I arrive in Croatia in August. Plus, I think my Japanese is too advanced for the 6WC.
May to mid-June: Croatian or Persian
Undecided. I really should focus on Croatian, but if I feel like I need a break I'll choose Persian. Unless I'm already too advanced in both of those by that point (which I doubt), in which case I'll have to choose something else. Maybe Hungarian.
August to mid-September: [none]
I move to Croatia right around the beginning of August, so between moving and getting adjusted I don't expect to have a lot of extra time to participate in the 6WC.
November to mid-December: [undecided]
I suspect that I'll be too advanced in Croatian for the 6WC by this point, so I'll have to go with something else. If my Russian ends up being neglected all year and I've forgotten enough, maybe I'll go with that. Otherwise I'm not sure. Maybe Hungarian.

EDIT: Wait, I'm confused now. I thought the 6WC periods were in February, May, August, and November?

Edited by ellasevia on 10 December 2011 at 6:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 28
10 December 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, my bad, I completely forgot about the month July. I updated my schedule now.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 28
10 December 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Plus, I think my Japanese is too advanced for the 6WC.
What a lovely problem :)))
If you really want it though I don't think it should be a problem... I'm gonna do a 6WC in the language of the country that wins Euro 2012, even if it's Italy or Portugal :D (sorry I can't shut up, too excited about my idea :D)
Sprachprofi, thanks for clarifying this! Are there going to be any new types of challenges? would be fun:)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5928 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 12 of 28
10 December 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
Plus, I think my Japanese is too advanced for the
6WC.
What a lovely problem :)))
If you really want it though I don't think it should be a problem... I'm gonna do a 6WC in the language of the
country that wins Euro 2012, even if it's Italy or Portugal :D (sorry I can't shut up, too excited about my idea
:D)

Haha, yes. :) What I'm referring to is the rule for these new 6WCs that says that you can't be above a low
intermediate level in your target language. (Or something like that...)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 28
10 December 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I know this rule. Isn't the main idea that you're not fluent in the language, though, and not "almost there" either? my Italian and Portuguese are just slightly too good for the challenge but I'm definitely not fluent. Maybe I'll work on my weakest skill which is speaking, don't know.

pity you're not in our team :P can't wait to read about your Croatian studies!

Edited by Serpent on 10 December 2011 at 9:48pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 28
10 December 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah I know this rule. Isn't the main idea that you're not fluent in the language, though, and not "almost there" either? my Italian and Portuguese are just slightly too good for the challenge but I'm definitely not fluent. Maybe I'll work on my weakest skill which is speaking, don't know.

Sprachprofi sometimes gives exemptions to that if you ask nicely.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 28
10 December 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Serpent wrote:

Sprachprofi sometimes gives exemptions to that if you ask nicely.
I certainly will if needed :) Let's first see who even wins!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 16 of 28
11 December 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
It looks like there will be an additional Finnish challenge - stay tuned!

The idea of limiting the 6 Week Challenge to beginner to lower intermediate
students
was so that people using textbooks and Anki have a chance to score well.
Once you're at an intermediate level, there are so many fun things you can do in your
target language, so that it becomes much easier to spend a lot of time on it - spend 6
hours a day watching your favourite TV series, why don't you, but people still
struggling through a textbook usually can't bear to do so many hours. The Twitter-
based 6 Week Challenge is therefore limited to people who cannot yet use native
materials for fun
. If you want, you can create your own 6 Week Challenge with
different rules and log it here on the forum, but please don't use the Twitter bot if
you're too advanced. Alternatively, sign up on Twitter with Venda or another obscure
language as your "main target", log zero Venda hours and use the bot to just log your
overall hours. Only the main target language needs to be a beginner / lower-
intermediate one, the rest may be any level.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 11 December 2011 at 2:57pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version