Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 25 of 28
29 December 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
The Tadoku is indeed about reading as much as possible within one month, but ONLY in foreign languages. A lot
of the participants are English speakers learning Japanese. For them, more than anyone, it is a difficult step to
start reading in their target language, so they use this challenge to motivate themselves and each other. Many
start with children's books or manga - if you read Japanese, there is actually a scale of easiness somewhere.
From what I understand, Japanese schools are also adopting Tadoku for learning English. Progress in the Tadoku
is measured in pages read, rather than time spent.

So in short, Tadoku doesn't have to be about advanced languages, but it's probable that you'll choose at least an
intermediate-level language for it. In order to get the synergy effect, you're encouraged to only read in one
language during the Tadoku and you cannot register with more than 3.

For the 6WC, your main target language has to be a beginner or lower-intermediate level for the sake of keeping
things comparable - once you're at intermediate level or beyond, it's a lot easier to spend a lot of hours on a
language. But that restriction is only for the main target language in the Twitter-based scoring. The other
languages can be any level, and yes the intended purpose of the 6 Week Challenge is to encourage you to find
new ways to integrate language study into a busy schedule, to spend more time on language study and to
possibly develop some good habits that you'll carry on.

1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 26 of 28
31 December 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Hello team 'ne nur', I'd like to join you if that's alright. My Esperanto is definitely
elementary (and also quite eroded, I'm afraid) but I was planning on studying it during
one of the 6 week challenges, possibly the one in February. Five hours of Swahili sounds
like fun! Apart from that my target languages for 2012 will be French, German, Old
English and possibly Arabic, Greek, Indonesian, Spanish and Norwegian.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 27 of 28
31 December 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Welkom, Renee!

Mi bonvenigas vin kiel novan membron de la teamo, kaj mi gxojas ke vi plibonigos vian Esperanton kaj
germanan, inter aliaj. I will be glad to help.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 28 of 28
02 January 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Here's the new discussion thread for our team, seeing that 2012 has started. I'd like to
see the team thread used for discussion during the year, for helping each other,
motivating each other, asking & answering questions, and for posting milestones.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30629&PN=1

Please provide links to your logs if you start / re-use any for 2012 and I haven't linked
to them yet.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version