Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 28
05 December 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to thread for signing up to and coordinating 2012 TAC goals for team 'ne nur', and for team members to log any big milestones they happen to hit before January 1st, 2012.

This team is open to people who speak at least elementary Esperanto. The price of admission is agreeing to study at least 5 hours of Swahili next year, plus an eclectic selection of other languages of your choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 28
05 December 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Volte! This will be fun!

I'm undecided between the team mottos
"ni studos vian lingvon mwhahaha" or
"Damnit, why didn't I learn this language last year?"

My plans for 2012 are not very concrete yet. I definitely want to:
- keep improving my Mandarin Chinese (presently B2)
- and my Swahili, in which I'm a passive intermediate / active beginner due to
working with Assimil
- reactivate one of: Italian, Spanish, Dutch (for all of these I have excellent
reading comprehension & little speaking ability)

Apart from that, I'm not yet sure if I'll keep working on Arabic because I'm
burned out on that for the moment, but may pick it up again later.

My next new language according to plan should be Indonesian, for which I have
already collected a lot of materials. Or I might study spoken Japanese just to
mess with you, Volte. Or Russian. Or Maori. Too many languages and too little time...

Edited by Sprachprofi on 05 December 2011 at 3:18pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 28
05 December 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Count me in!

My main object of desire will remain Japanese for 2012, but I acknowledge the 5-hour Swahili requirement insofar as Sprachprofi has indicated that she might give Japanese a try, and I hope this will also encourage me to continue doing some Esperanto.

I may spend the odd weekend working inconsequentially on languages I've never touched -- something I haven't done in a long time but should do more of. Finnish? Korean? Who knows.

And perhaps I might also work on reactivating my German...

If I may be of assistance with French or Japanese, let me know.

Edited by Arekkusu on 05 December 2011 at 5:13pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 4 of 28
07 December 2011 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
I'd love to join this TAC team! I do speak and understand Esperanto at perhaps an intermediate level, and would be happy to work on it a bit throughout this year to reactivate my skills. I also study Swahili, so the requirement of five hours of Swahili shouldn't be a problem either. :)

My main language this year will be Croatian since I'll be moving there in August, but I'll continue to work on Japanese, Persian, Swahili, and Russian too (as well as probably a few others on the side).

What about requiring (or at least suggesting) that each team member sample a Slavic language of their choice, similar to the Swahili "price of admission"? Mine would obviously be Croatian and Russian.

Edited by ellasevia on 07 December 2011 at 5:12am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 28
07 December 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I've spent some time planning out my language goals for 2012. I've decided to present them in terms of what I'd like to do with each language, rather than CEFR levels.

Primary language: Japanese
Goals: comfortably watch anime without subs, comfortably read web pages and books, hold 10-minute conversations with patient native speakers, and hear and produce pitch accent correctly.

Secondary language: Russian
Goals: comfortably read academic literature (for instance, on stochastic calculus, Markov processes, and exercise physiology), easily understand pop songs, and correctly hear and produce stress.

Clean-up language: French
Goals: sort out my accent to a level where I can shadow decently, be able to hold arbitrarily long conversations with patient speakers, and be comfortable using French as a base language for Assimil.

Just Because languages: Hungarian and Swahili.
Hungarian goal: to be able to semi-comfortably use my lovely Hungarian vegan cookbooks. They're from the incomparable Napfenyes Etterem in Budapest; check it out if you visit Hungary!

Swahili goal: I promised Sprachprofi that I'd do 100 hours of Swahili this year.

Maintenance languages: Italian, Esperanto, and German.
Italian goal: read 10 books (including 5 Great Books)
Esperanto goal: read 30 books; this will lightly improve my vocabulary.
German goal: continue reading and listening to it; I want to at least maintain my current level in it.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 28
07 December 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Something tells me that this year will be the most awesome language-learning year ever! I
love this team!

Ellasevia, welcome! I was thinking that you might like to join, seeing how we're linked
through Esperanto and Swahili. I sampled Russian this year and decided it was not for me
(yet); the other Slavic languages don't attract me at all. I'm not sure I'll try Russian
again so soon; we'll see.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 7 of 28
10 December 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
A preliminary schedule, taking into account the Tadoku and 6 Week Challenge periods,
which I find motivating. There are two weeks of empty time between the Tadoku and 6
Week Challenge periods and I'm deliberately not planning anything for these in order to
avoid feeling stressed. If I occasionally have to wait to study something, my fingers
should be itching all the more to do it, and lots of it.

January (Tadoku): read Mandarin while at the same time doing a lot of
conversational practice - I found that excessive reading also makes me want to try out
new phrases actively
February to mid-March (6WC): intensive Swahili. Finish off the rest of the
Assimil active wave, read through the other Swahili course materials I have just for
extra vocabulary & practice, digitize the Swahili "Little Prince", create/use L-R
materials based on Deutsche Welle's "Learning by Ear"
April (Tadoku): read a bunch of French Great Books in preparation for my exam
May to mid-June (6WC): Japanese sounds fitting, considering that the IJK (in
July) will be in Japan, though I have little hope of being able to go.
July (Tadoku): not sure yet, depends on what books I'll buy from the 1 €
charity bookstore until then
August to mid-September (6WC): Indonesian
... (no idea about the rest)

I reserve the right to swap Japanese and Indonesian depending on my motivation at the
time.

Volte, I'd recommend that you don't tackle Swahili until after the February 6WC,
because there will be more materials :-)

Edited by Sprachprofi on 10 December 2011 at 8:36pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 28
10 December 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
so there will be 3 6WC's and not four? september not august?
might do my own in july then:)

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version