United States
Joined 4850 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 12
05 December 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

So, maybe this is the perfectionist in me speaking, but I feel that since I have so many resources (Assimil, Speak Easy, Linguaphone, University course books (3), High school books (3), Colloquial, Teach Yourself, and a bunch of media and audio files) I feel like I somehow have to get through all of them and ace everything that's in them, like vocab, and each sentence that they contain. Note also that I'm a busy college student.

What should I do?

Best,

Vika
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6240 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 12
05 December 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Use Assimil, and any material that your university requires you to use. Forget the rest until you're done with Assimil. Then decide whether you think it's worth doing Linguaphone too, and act accordingly, and spend an hour or two leafing through the other books to see if they have explanations that click for anything that's still confusing you after Assimil.

Feel absolutely free to ignore most of the material, such as Teach Yourself.

Is this the only option? Absolutely not. Feel free to substitute in any combination of the above materials instead (though I'd tend to prefer Assimil to start with, for most languages); it's just one way to get un-paralyzed.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6271 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 12
05 December 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
What Volte said.

And if ever you feel bored or overwhelmed with one course, read through another.
This will re-inforce what you already learned and teach you just a few new things.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 12
05 December 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
What I do is to look at all I have available, move things I find trully unatractive to a side, than choose two or three various sources and don't move to the rest till I finish them. Exception for native material which works as motivation as well and is always a good thing to spend time with. A good combination of sources in my opinion is Assimil (or Linguaphone), a more traditional course (such as Colloquial)and a grammar book (preferably with exercises). And later, I can choose different courses if I still need them or just grammar and vocabulary books to cover gaps I have when facing native material.

I used to feel the need to go through everything not that long ago but when I looked at all there is available (for exemple for Spanish), I realised it is just not possible if I want to study several languages and move to native materials earlier than in the retirement age. So I invest some time in choosing the best material instead. I believe that one hour spent on it now will save me much time going through different materials later.
4 persons have voted this message useful

vikavictoria
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4850 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 12
06 December 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks, all! But I am wondering, since I hear this everywhere, why is Assimil so highly regarded? I am 20 lessons in
and just think it's old and outdated (?) I have used Pimsleur, and in my honest opinion, I am more impressed by
Pimsleur than many other people are. I kind of view it as what got me off the ground and able to SPEAK, which was
great. So, why is Assimil so good, even though it's from 1950s?

Thanks,
Vika

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4760 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 7 of 12
06 December 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I cannot remember where I saw it, but just have all the books in front of you and just
pick up the one that interests you most, then when you are bored swap to another one -
just keep track of where you are in a journal etc.

I personally think the more resources the better with anything, plus what one book
overlooks, the other might not.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5254 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 12
06 December 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
vikavictoria wrote:
So, why is Assimil so good, even though it's from 1950s?

I believe it has been discussed ad nauseam, for example here

http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22

or here

http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=402

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version