Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 16
05 December 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Upon an encounter with the Romanian Language, I've found myself absolutely enthralled with the Neo-Latins who never had a chance to survive until the modern day.

Romanian is so far different than anything west of it, it's isolation, history with Slavic languages (and ability to withstand them), and an overall different 'feel' compared to the western Neo-Latin's makes me think long and hard about the could have beens; Latina Brittanicae, Latina Germanicae, and even more interesting to me; the extinct Neo-Latins of the former heart of the Byzantine Empire; Everything surrounding Greece, and North Africa, Turkey and Egypt, Phoenicia (the Levant) (though Greek was more common in the former three i'd assume).

I've read a conlang that did just that; made a British Celtic influenced Latin, and that was quite interesting.

Do we know anything of their history? was there ever anything written in the regional variations? or did Latin never settle itself in anything east of Greece, Latina Africae or Carthagi. If they did, when did the last speakers die (like we have reports of Kartho-Phoenician speakers up to the 6th century)? was there ever literature written in a Poeni, etc.-Latin?

This is also compounded with the huge surprise that the Trapezoun Greek community STILL exists in Turkey to this day which is to me just astounding.

Edited by fomalhaut on 05 December 2011 at 7:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4850 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 16
05 December 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Extinct_Romance_languages

It would have been really cool if those languages still existed...
1 person has voted this message useful

5years
Diglot
Tokelau
Joined 4554 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 16
07 December 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm not much help, but I find this absolutely fascinating! I'd love to work on such a conlang if you'd like to collaborate. :) I can try to do some research on it and dig around my department's library.

Could you also link me to that conlang you mentioned? I'm really curious. Thanks!

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 

Message 5 of 16
07 December 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Ask the guys at Europa Barbarorum (classicists at their purest) for their reconstructed Phoenician and Levantine Greek, if you want a basis for that!

here's a Latina Slavicorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenedyk

Latina Celticorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig

It seems this has been done to many branches, including Semitic! These guys are the real deal.

Edited by fomalhaut on 07 December 2011 at 9:50pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6521 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 16
08 December 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Actually the situation is not that bad. The most notable loss within the Romance families is Dalmatian (which apparently was some kind of link between Romanian and the other Romance language, in particular Italian), and Occitan has been pushed almost out out of existence. 'Arpitan', which also has been called Galloprovençal, is even closer to extinction - but compare this to the Germanic languages, where the whole Eastern branch has died out leaving just a few fragments of Gothic, and even worse, the Celtic languages, which are marginalized almost everywhere.

So even though there has been some concentration going on there are still a lot of variants to learn.

Edited by Iversen on 08 December 2011 at 1:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 

Message 7 of 16
08 December 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Celtic is certainly a language family that to me is a huge tragedy, especially Gallic. French is a nice language, but sometimes I yearn that Caesar wasn't so successful in depopulating and romanising Gallia so quickly. The pseudo linguist in me likes to think the the Gauls didn't go out easily; hence the large differences between French and the rest of the Romance languages. It was Gallic having it's effect not so much in vocabulary but in sound shifts and other things.

5years
Diglot
Tokelau
Joined 4554 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 16
09 December 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
fomalhaut wrote:
Ask the guys at Europa Barbarorum (classicists at their purest) for their reconstructed Phoenician and Levantine Greek, if you want a basis for that!

here's a Latina Slavicorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenedyk

Latina Celticorum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig

It seems this has been done to many branches, including Semitic! These guys are the real deal.

This sounds fascinating! Thanks for the links.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version