Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 4474 days ago

23 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Latvian, English, NorwegianC1
Studies: Greek, Estonian

Message 121 of 267
15 December 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Tere, Chung! Tänan teid väga teie lahke kutse eest!

Hello everyone! Encouraged by a nice unexpected message I thought I’d finally drop in and say hello. Although this forum and various team and individual threads have been my favourite haunt for quite a while, I never engaged in any lengthy discussions or frequent commenting so far. Hence, it’s high time I stuck my nose out of my comfortable liar and set out on some linguistic adventures, inspired and supported by the old language-sea dogs.

May I join *jäŋe / *ledús team for 2013, as in the first place I’m about to embark on improving my Estonian? Weighing the pros and cons of setting a brand new team from ground up for the Esto-Baltic languages on their own behalf, I doubt it would attract enough interest and be long-lasting, so for now I’d prefer joining your well-established team.

To keep my long-winding and complicated language learning road short, I’ll just mention that what got me engrossed in Estonian was nothing but Latvian! When I started to dabble in Latvian some eight years ago, I was surprised to see how many things there were unlike in Lithuanian which is supposed to be its closest possible relative! And many of those newly recovered peculiarities were to be traced back to their Fino-Ugric roots through Livonian language which is now almost extinct in Latvia.

Later I had a semester of Estonian at university and also peeked into some Finnish and Hungarian along the way, so this is just the right place to fuel up and continue, right?

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 122 of 267
15 December 2012 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Sveiki atvykę ir nėra už ką, Veel!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 123 of 267
15 December 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I am posting this on the main sign-up thread and on all team logs.

This is a special announcement for all teams, certain ones more than others:

-The purpose of TAC teams is to support, help and encourage each other. “All for one and one for all.” That means reading each other’s logs, and commenting them where appropriate. It also means no more bickering

- It the future all teams will be closed upon reaching 15 members, and new teams will be formed for those languages. Should a new team only attract a few members (about 5-7 depending on the team members prior TAC experience) by the sign-up deadline (31. January 2013), they will be merged with the original team. If in the course of the year, the teams lose half their members, they may also choose to merge. Any team that already has more than 15 members will not be divided, but they will not be allowed to add new members.

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18 December. Inform me of your choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.

- I have created a French team and a Spanish team. Anyone studying those languages may choose to join them if they wish. The original Romance teams will remain in existence for those who are studying other Romance languages or who are interested in multiple languages. Note that even if you are only studying French or Spanish you may choose to be on a Romance team rather than a single language team. If there is enough interest for an Italian, Portuguese or Romanian team, I will create one. However, I would like those who may be interested in such a team to gather at least 5 team members before asking me to form the team.

I am sorry to have to make these additional rules, however it is obvious that certain teams are already on the verge of falling apart and a number of more experienced TAC members have noticed this and sent me PM’s requesting that I do something.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 124 of 267
15 December 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I am posting this on the main sign-up thread and on all team logs..

This is a special announcement for all teams, certain ones more than others.

-The purpose of TAC teams is to support, help and encourage each other. “All for one and one for all.” That means reading each other’s logs, and commenting them where appropriate. It also means no more bickering.

- It the future all teams will be closed upon reaching 15 members, and new teams will be formed for those languages. Should a new team only attract a few members (about 5-7 depending on the team members prior TAC experience) by the sign-up deadline (31. January 2013), they will be merged with the original team. If in the course of the year, the teams lose half their members, they may also choose to merge. Any team that already has more than 15 members will not be divided, but they will not be allowed to add new members.

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18. December. Inform me of your choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.

- I have created a French team and a Spanish team. Anyone studying those languages may choose to join them if they wish. The original Romance teams will remain in existence for those who are studying other Romance languages or who are interested in multiple languages. Note that even if you are only studying French or Spanish you may choose to be on a Romance team rather than a single language team. If there is enough interest for an Italian, Portuguese or Romanian team, I will create one. However, I would like those who may be interested in such a team to gather at least 5 team members before asking me to form the team.

I am sorry to have to make these additional rules, however it is obvious that certain teams are already on the verge of falling apart and a number of more experienced TAC members have noticed this and sent me PM’s requesting that I do something.

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4881 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 125 of 267
15 December 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Moi jokainen! I've received a PM from Chung asking if I would like to participate in
Finnish for the TAC 2013? I thought I would post here asking that I accept also, however
this is the first time i've ever partook in something like this so if I seem a little
nervous, I do apologise!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 126 of 267
15 December 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18. December. Inform me of your
choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person
on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.

I nominate the obvious choice - Chung.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 127 of 267
15 December 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I agree, thanks to Chung, I'm here on the team. Vote goes to Chung! :)

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4881 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 128 of 267
15 December 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm also going to say Chung :)

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version