Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 33 of 267
26 December 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
If you would like to dip your toes in Northern Saami like hribecek, I will ask you early next year to follow a very short course that I'm currently putting together based on hribecek's original proposal. Only interested team members will receive the entire course (it won't be very much to begin with though) in order to keep some semblance of team spirit.

I'll likely post the answers to hribecek's requests once everyone interested has had a chance to work through this short course. In addition hribecek's eagerness suggests to me that he'd want to do this sometime before the end of this winter. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 34 of 267
27 December 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
That's cool. I'm not studying Sami, but I did stumble on Oddasat (News in Sami?) by accident today on yle. On my iphone app, the Sami news is also subbed in Finnish, which is more useful, here it I think that's Swedish maybe. It kind of matched my expectations, as reindeer are was featured prominently.

http://areena.yle.fi/ohjelma/3558

Are you working on the version of Sami that's in Norway?   I thought I read somewhere that the dialects differ?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 35 of 267
27 December 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Yes, Northern Saami ođđasat is a cognate of Finnish uutiset.

The dialect of Northern Saami that I've settled on is primarily "western" in that its traditional range is from northern Norway through far northern Sweden to a band in northern Finland west and south of Inari (basically from the villages of Kilpisjärvi through Hetta and to Vuotso). This "western" dialect can be divided further into Tornio Northern Saami and Western Ruija Northern Saami although this finer distinction is not made clear until Davvin 4.

The Eastern Ruija dialect which is used around Finland's Lake Inari and very far northern Norway from Karasjok eastwards (including the North Cape) differs from the other two in lexicon and some aspects of phonology, however the books don't let on that they unduly reduce mutual intelligibility.

A few examples of differences between eastern and western are:

In Eastern Ruija it's more common to pronounce á after a consonant as a front vowel (ä) rather than a back one.

E.g. mánná sounds like männää in the east.

An easterner is also more likely to use hállat instead of the westerner's hupmat for "to speak" or vuossárga instead of mánnodat for "Monday".

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Studies: Sámi

Message 36 of 267
27 December 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I would like to join this group! My main target language is North Sámi language, but this requires learning Swedish as well since I will be using Gulahalan as well as Talk Now! Saami and Talk Now! Vocabulary Builder for fun exercises and games. I am also dabbling in Russian (very handy in my community).

Please remind any of us who are new, what we do to join this group challenge?

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 37 of 267
28 December 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I think all you do is introduce yourself, which you just did. Start a log by clicking on 'My Profile', 'Logbook' and then "new entry to your learning Logbook" -- just start studying as much as you can. Tell us how it's going on a regular basis. Do not stop, or if you do stop, restart as soon as possible.

Welcome, I'm working on Finnish (and Japanese) myself.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 38 of 267
28 December 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Kafea wrote:
I would like to join this group! My main target language is North Sámi language, but this requires learning Swedish as well since I will be using Gulahalan as well as Talk Now! Saami and Talk Now! Vocabulary Builder for fun exercises and games. I am also dabbling in Russian (very handy in my community).

Please remind any of us who are new, what we do to join this group challenge?

I'll just add you to the list. Good to have you onside.

I'm not a very competitive sort and so the "challenge" aspect of it is lost on me since we have our own lives, are at different levels, studying different languages, and using different material. Instead I'm treating this as a study group where we help each other out when possible or can discuss something that we've seen in our studies but aren't clear about. A second opinion doesn't necessarily hurt.

As cathrynm as noted, you'll need at minimum to start a log/thread here with the team's name, "*jäŋe / *ledús" and "TAC 2012" in the title. It's up to you to update it at whatever frequency you think will be suitable but if you have no idea, then I suggest that updates appearing once every 2 weeks give or take a few days would be something to aim for even if you feel that you've made a breakthrough or been discouraged by something that's turned up related to your studies. Venting can be useful in moderation ;-).

Here are the logs so far of others on the team:
a3
cathrynm
Kisfröccs

For my part I'll be posting updates in this thread whenever I put new entries after completing chapters in my existing log as I doubt that I'll stop studying Finno-Ugric or Balto-Slavonic languages once 2012 ends.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 39 of 267
29 December 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
If you would like to dip your toes in Northern Saami like hribecek, I will ask you early next year to follow a very short course that I'm currently putting together based on hribecek's original proposal. Only interested team members will receive the entire course (it won't be very much to begin with though) in order to keep some semblance of team spirit.

I'll likely post the answers to hribecek's requests once everyone interested has had a chance to work through this short course. In addition hribecek's eagerness suggests to me that he'd want to do this sometime before the end of this winter. :-)

That sounds fun and you're right that I wouldn't be able to hold out until the end of Winter. I'll be looking forward to the course; hopefully it helped you to refresh your Northern Saami a bit in preparing it.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5038 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 40 of 267
29 December 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
I've never been in a TAC before, what is going to be the communication between us like? Only in our TAC threads, via PMs or with some kind of chat client?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version