Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 1 of 267
06 December 2011 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
The team in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 for those interested in studying at least one language from Balto-Slavonic or Finno-Ugric.

The team's name is *jäŋe / *ledús.

The team's motto is Csak az csatlakozzon hozzánk, aki ilyet szeret. (modified from the refrain of the Hungarian folksong “A jó lovas katonának”)

"Rules"

1) Each member is responsible for his/her own log. It's not important if he/she creates a new log solely for entries pertaining to TAC in a given year or uses an existing one. The point is to study the target language(s) and when helpful or possible cooperate with the rest of the team. This thread may be used to post information relevant for the group or updates on one's progress as noted in the individual log.

2) Each member may dabble in any language as desired or even change the main target language(s) during the year as long as at least one target language is from Balto-Slavonic or Finno-Ugric.

3) Each member may join other teams without losing membership here. One only needs to be studying at least one Balto-Slavonic or Finno-Ugric language to be on this team.

Roster for 2015 (as of Mar. 20, '15)

cathrynm: Finnish

Chung: Finnish, Polish, Slovak

Expugnator: Estonian

ilolwhat: Polish

milesaway: Finnish

Radioclare: BCMS/SC (Croatian), Macedonian

Rem: Czech

Serpent: Belorussian, BCMS/SC (Croatian), Czech, Finnish, Polish, Ukrainian

Sooniye: BCMS/SC (Croatian), Hungarian

Straya: Polish

turorudi: Hungarian

Wessnosa: Finnish

YnEoS: Czech, Hungarian

Roster for 2014 (as of Feb. 9, '14)

Anya: Hungarian

cathrynm: Finnish

Chung: Finnish, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian

Expugnator: Estonian, Russian

Fiona S.: Russian

Henkkles: Estonian, Northern Saami, Russian

mick33: Finnish, Hungarian, Polish

nandemonai: Lithuanian

QiuJP: Belorussian, BCMS/SC (Croatian, Serbian), Russian, Ukrainian

Radioclare: BCMS/SC (Croatian)

Serpent: Belorussian, BCMS/SC (Croatian), Finnish, Polish, Ukrainian

vermillon: Hungarian, Polish

YnEoS: Hungarian, Russian (observer)

Languages listed are those applicable to the team. Languages in bold are those which will almost certainly be exclusive to this team. Languages in italics are those which face a reasonable chance of being covered by a different team which focuses on those languages, pending the results of teams from 2013 and/or poll results.

Roster for 2013 (as of Jan. 27, '13)

a3: Basque, Finnish, German, Norwegian

Anya: German, Hungarian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Sanskrit, Spanish, Turkish

Bbcatcher 08: BCMS/SC, Dutch, Esperanto, Hungarian, Russian (BCMS/SC and Russian covered by designated team)

cathrynm: Finnish, Japanese

Chung: BCMS/SC, Finnish, Hungarian, Northern Saami, Polish, Slovak, Turkish, Ukrainian (BCMS/SC, Polish and Slovak each covered by designated team; possible dabbling in at least one of Azeri, Mongolian or Uzbek)

Danac: BCMS/SC, Esperanto, German, Greek (Ancient), Hungarian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish (BCMS/SC and Slovak each covered by designated team)

DaraghM: Czech, French, Hungarian, Irish, Polish, Russian (Slavonic languages covered by designated team)

Eternica: French, Hungarian (possible dabbling in Spanish and Turkish)

Evita: Finnish, Korean

hribecek: Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Slovak, Spanish (Czech and Slovak covered by designated team)

joshkaasik: Estonian (kaitseingel)

Kisfroccs: BCMS/SC, Hungarian, Spanish, Turkish

languagenerd09: Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Maecenas23: Ukrainian (aнгел-охоронець)

maxval: Hungarian (védangyal)

mick33: Afrikaans, Finnish, Hindi, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish

Phantom Kat: Finnish

Serpent: Finnish (suojelusenkeli)

Theodisce: BCMS/SC, Czech, French, German, Greek (Ancient), Latin, Russian, Slovak, Spanish (Czech and Slovak covered by designated team)

Tiktok: Estonian

VanamoVenlo: Finnish

Woodsei: Hungarian, Japanese, Russian (Russian covered by designated team)

Veel: Estonian, Norwegian, Swedish

In light of the domination in this group by Finnish and Hungarian and also to make it easier for the guardian angels to find members of special interest, I've reorganized the roster by languages for which there is a guardian angel.

ESTONIAN
Tiktok, Veel

FINNISH
a3, cathrynm, Chung, Evita, languagenerd09, mick33, Phantom Kat, VanamoVenlo

HUNGARIAN
Anya, Bbcatcher 08, Chung, Danac, DaraghM, Eternica, hribecek, Kisfroccs, Woodsei

UKRAINIAN
Chung

Roster for 2012 (as of Apr. 18, '12)

a3: Finnish

appelduvide: (Ancient Greek), Hungarian, Northern Saami

cathrynm: Finnish, (Japanese)

ChristianVlcek: (German, Irish), Slovak, Ukrainian

Chung: 99% sure: Finnish, Northern Saami / 75% sure: Polish / 50% sure: Hungarian, Slovak / crazy ideas for dabbling or a bit more: Belorussian, Latvian, Livonian, Mari, Ukrainian; (Azeri, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Mongolian, Turkish, Turkmen, Uyghur, Uzbek)

Hribecek: focus on Czech, Hungarian, (Spanish) / maybe: Polish, Russian, Slovak, Ukrainian

Kafea: focus on Northern Saami (and Swedish) / dabbling in Russian

Kisfröccs: private: Croatian, Hungarian / (professional: Italian)

mick33: Finnish, (Italian, Swedish)

Volte: (primary: Japanese) / secondary: Russian / (clean up: French) / just because: Hungarian, (Swahili) / (maintenance: Esperanto, German, Italian) / temptations: Finnish, Northern Saami, Polish

Edited by Chung on 20 March 2015 at 5:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 2 of 267
06 December 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Good idea. What an interesting collection of languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 3 of 267
06 December 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
It's good to see that you're down with it :-)

I just had a geeky idea for the team's name. What about using a reconstructed word from each of Proto-Finno-Ugric and Proto-Slavonic? :-P

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5015 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 4 of 267
06 December 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
I've got a question: does every member need to open and manage his own 2012 TAC thread, or there needs to be only one for the team only?
Chung wrote:
I just had a geeky idea for the team's name. What about using a reconstructed word from each of Proto-Finno-Ugric and Proto-Slavonic? :-P
That would be a great name.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 5 of 267
06 December 2011 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
According to ellasevia's post, the idea is that each person should open a thread devoted to work related to TAC.

ellasevia wrote:
Lastly, sometime between announcing your participation and the beginning of January you should create your own personal TAC log in the Language Logs Subforum. This will be where you document your year-long journey and where fellow team members and onlookers can comment, help, advise, or encourage you along the way. Please make sure to include "TAC 2012" in the title of the log so that it will be recognizable to the organizer and other participants. If you have been assigned to a team, please also include which team you belong to.

As I posted earlier, I'm thinking of continuing to update my existing log "Chung at work / Chung pri práci". However I'd have a team log in which my posts would be just a headline or summary of what I've done and then with a link to my "normal" log. I'd rather not duplicate entries nor do I want to abandon my existing log since I'm effectively sticking to the same languages as before 2012's TAC was announced.

We should wait for more input on the name since to extract something from proto-languages could be tricky because they're not chock-full of words as living or well-attested dead languages are. However naming the team in this way seems appropriate since the team is encompassing genetic groups, rather than one language.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 6 of 267
06 December 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I'm down with it or up for it too!

I'm interested to see what name you come up with for our team Chung.

I think at least 6 people in the team would be a good starting point, maybe more because I expect at least half will fade away as the year goes on.

Edited by hribecek on 06 December 2011 at 12:40pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 7 of 267
07 December 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Chung wrote:

I'm down with it or up for it too!

No ja sa teším, Steve.

hribecek wrote:
I'm interested to see what name you come up with for our team Chung.

I think at least 6 people in the team would be a good starting point, maybe more because I expect at least half will fade away as the year goes on.

As far as a name goes, we could use the somewhat irreverant Team "BS/FU" (no snickering, please) or if we want to use words from the proto-languages, then here are some ideas that came to mind.

1) Team ledús / jäŋe (Team "Ice" in Proto Balto-Slavonic / Proto-Finno-Ugric)
2) Team inźuH / ńälmä (Team "Tongue/Language" in PBSl / PFU)

3) Team krouio / were (Team "Blood" in PBSl / PFU)

4) Team žvaigzdā / kuńćɜ (Team "Star" in PBSl / Proto-Uralic)
5) Team inźuH / käxli (Team "Tongue/Language" in PBSl / PU)

1) to 3) fit pretty closely to what this group's languages are but 3) seems a bit jarring or incongruent for a bunch of language geeks :-). 4) and 5) perhaps shouldn't be considered since they don't use Proto-Finno-Ugric but Proto-Uralic (i.e. the postulated predecessor of PFU). However the meanings don't sound out of place here.

In case you're wondering, here are some attested words which gave rise to these reconstructions.

1) Cf. ledus (Latvian), lód (Polish), лед (Bulgarian) / jää (Estonian, Finnish), jég (Hungarian), jiekŋa (Northern Saami) etc.

2) Cf. insuwis (Old Prussian), jezik (BCMS/SC, Slovenian), язык (Belorussian, Russian, Rusyn) / nyelv (Hungarian), njälmi "mouth" (Inari Saami) etc. (there's nothing attested in Estonian or Finnish for this etymology)

3) Cf. kraujas (Lithuanian), кровь (Russian), krv (Slovak) / veri (Estonian, Finnish), vér (Hungarian), varra (Northern Saami) etc.

4) Cf. žvaiždie (Samogitian); hvězda (Czech), zvezda (Slovenian) / húgy (Hungarian - archaic), kesaŋka (Šölqup) etc. (nothing attested in Estonian, Finnish or Saamic among others for this etymology)

5) Cf. insuwis (Old Prussian), jezik (BCMS/SC, Slovenian), язык (Belorussian, Russian, Rusyn) / keel (Estonian); кыв (Komi); śe (Nenets) etc. (nothing attested in Hungarian for this etymology)

Perhaps as a motto we could take a modified version of part of the lyrics from the Hungarian folk song "A jó lovas katonának"? I was recently listening to Kodály's quasi-opera "Háry János" which was influenced by Hungarian folk songs and one of the more catchy items is when the main character leads a recruiting dance (toborzó) and sings "A jó lovas katonának" (this song is well-known and fairly popular in Hungary despite its humble origins). It's basically about how great a hussar's life is.

The (loosely translated) refrain is:

Hej élet, be gyöngy élet, ~ "Hey, what a beautiful life this is"
Ennél szebb sem lehet, "Nothing can ever be nicer than this"
Csak az jöjjön katonának, "Just let him become a soldier."
Aki ilyet szeret. "Whoever wants it like this."

I was thinking that taking a tweaked version of the last two lines could be motto for the team.

♪♫ Csak az jöjjön a csapatnak, aki ilyet szeret... ♪♫ (~ "May they just come to the team as they please." This translation is not really correct since I've translated Hungarian's native gender-neutral singular structure with English's plural)

Mi a veleményetek? / What do you folks think?
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 8 of 267
07 December 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
I don't mind the blood reference, because to me that kind of implies ancestry, but maybe that's not everyone here.   I also think your Hungarian folk song line is fitting and very cool and exotic sounding.

Quote:
I expect at least half will fade away as the year goes on.

Bahh -- I'm expecting 100% commitment from everyone. Total success and amazing language progress all around. No exceptions.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version