Joined 4547 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Latin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hungarian, German
Studies: Sámi

Message 81 of 267
16 April 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the links!
I suspected that the most comprehensive courses in Sámi would be in Norwegian or Swedish. Gulahalan and Oahpa! look great and I have dabbled in some Icelandic in the past so I think I can make my way through the Swedish and Norwegian - I might even pick some up along the way which wouldn't be a terrible thing!
I may have to get in touch with another beginner just so I don't feel so alone studying this obscure language. Also, it would be the only way to practise the language as I don't think there is a particularly large Sámi diaspora in the UK...
As for Nenets, it looks like I will have to get in touch with Prof. Salminen. I have heard that he is the expert on Nenets.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 82 of 267
17 April 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I'm happy to help. If you need anything else, let me know. My studying in Northern Saami has tailed off since last month so that I can focus on Latvian but I'm still reading a few bits here and there in the former so that I won't forget everything.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 83 of 267
17 April 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Just to make things a bit easier, I've reorganized the links a bit and added some new ones that I've found since yesterday.

NENETS (not specified)
- Article on negation, annotated texts, and online Nenets <> English/Russian dictionaries from the University of Vienna's research on typology of negation in Ob-Ugric and Samoyedic languages.
- The Russian-Nenets Audio Phrasebook
- Comparative Nenets-Nganasan Multimedia Dictionary
- 11 lessons of Nenets for Russian-speakers

FOREST NENETS ONLY
- Tapani Salminen's notes on phonology

TUNDRA NENETS ONLY
- Tapani Salminen's grammatical sketch and Peter Staroverov's analysis of vowel deletion and stress (Staroverov's piece is fairly dense and of more interest to linguists than learners)
- Erika Körtvély's overview and analysis of conjugation as part of her PhD dissertation (somewhat useful for less technically-inclined learners even though it is a PhD dissertation)
- Slideshow of the language's salient features by Prof. Emily Bender of the University of Washington.
- Monograph by Olesya Khanina on interaction of aspect, argument structure and communication (fairly dense and of more interest to linguists than learners)
- Monographs by Darya Kavitskaya and Peter Staroverov on opacity and sonority of the glottal stop (fairly dense and of more interest to linguists than learners)
- Monograph by Tapani Salminen on Russian loanwords

For targeted material in English and in hard copy, the only thing that I've got my hands on is Gyula Décsy's Yurak Chrestomathy (Yurak is the former "official" name of Nenets) which is just a sketch of the grammar and phonology of the language with a short text and appendix of the Nenets words used in the text. I've browsed it at my university's library and it's hardly worth the $50 US on Amazon's used market right now (let alone the $175 US per Routledge's policy to gouge on reprints) as it's designed more for linguists who want a certain understanding of the structure rather than how to read, write and speak Nenets in a useful way. Daniel Abondolo's compilation "The Uralic Languages" has a chapter on Nenets by Prof. Salminen, but according to the professor:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~tasalmin/sketch.html wrote:
A slightly different version [of the online grammatical sketch of Tundra Nenets] under the misleading title ‘Nenets’ has appeared printed in The Uralic languages, edited by Daniel Abondolo, London: Routledge, 1998. The printed version contains a number of errors and inconsistencies that were introduced after the author had approved the allegedly final version of the article.
[Ed. this doesn't reflect well on Abondolo's editorial responsibility]

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 84 of 267
24 April 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
appelduvide wrote:
Is it too late to sign up here? I'm currently learning Hungarian and am quite interested in picking up another Uralic language, if I can find enough learning material. North Sámi and Nenets have piqued my interest so far. I listened to a really interesting interview with a Hawaiian speaker on SR Sápmi last night and would have loved to understand the Sámi. The presenters were code-switching English and Swedish quite a lot though, and the Hawaiian speaker's half of the interview was in English. Anyway, if anyone knows of any material on Nenets (bearing in mind I don't speak Russian) it would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the team! Great to see another Hungarian learner.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 85 of 267
24 April 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
hribecek wrote:
Hi teammates

Our team has been a bit quite recently with updating their logs (me included), so I thought it was time to try to wake us up a little bit.

Whadda ya mean? I updated stuff last week! :-P

hribecek wrote:
Byla jednou jedna žába. (Once upon a time there was a frog.)

Dan namma lei Kermit. (Its name was Kermit).

So it seems this story idea isn't catching on too much yet, so lets try to keep it alive Chung.

Kermit lakott egy nagy barlangban. (Kermit lived in a big cave)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 86 of 267
25 April 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Jaskyňa bola dosť veľká, ale Kermit sa cítil trochu osamelý. (The cave was quite large but Kermit felt a bit lonely)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 87 of 267
25 April 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Update for Finnish, Latvian and Polish

appelduvide
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4547 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Latin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hungarian, German
Studies: Sámi

Message 88 of 267
26 April 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Egy kis frissítés...
My study seems to be progressing at a reasonably steady and I am starting to notice improvements which is a really nice feeling!

I've basically been using a lot of methods that I've never tried before - mostly because they are demanding and I've never had the proper motivation (or the time) in the past. These include working on one lesson of Assimil a day for at least half an hour, using various methods of testing my understanding and capacity to produce Hungarian. To improve my understanding further, instead of simply flashcard each piece of new vocab I come across on its own, I have been using tatoeba.org to find a sentence with the word in context, thus allowing me to test my grammar as well! I have also just set up a lang-8 account and wrote my first post, which was a little daunting as I haven't really written anything 'freestyle' in Hungarian yet. It was also a relief to find that most of my errors were word order related (for me, the hardest aspect of Hungarian). Hopefully, once the Super Challenge is in full swing I will feel confident enough to start reviewing some of the books and films in Hungarian.

As for the Sámi, I haven't been studying it as dilligently as the Hungarian but I have surprised myself with the amount I've picked up. However, I did spend a bit too long fretting over the phonology, which seems horrendously confusing on paper.

Overall, I'm glad I signed up for this team, as it really gives me a sense of pressure to achieve... I've also just learnt the Hungarian for cave!

Edited by appelduvide on 26 April 2012 at 10:30pm

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version