Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 9 of 267
07 December 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
I like 1, 3 or 4 the most as possible names and also like the motto suggestion.

I might give myself the added task of learning maybe 50ish words or phrases from everybody in our team's languages. So for me that would be 50 words or phrases from Croatian, Finnish and Northern Saami (and maybe more). It would be good for team spirit! :))
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 267
07 December 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I like names 1,2, and 5. I like the motto too, it makes me consider learning Hungarian.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5169 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 11 of 267
07 December 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
♪♫ Csak az jöjjön a csapatnak, aki ilyet szeret... ♪♫

I like this motto ! Also, I think my goal will be - obviously improve my Hungarian - to combine it with History, going search for Hungarian mythology, runes etc. Mythology has always fascinated me and I remember when I did Greek mythology, it was my favourite part of the "language" :).

Also, recently I had a look at ancient Hungarian names. Totaly fascinating ! I also like going searching the etymology behind a word. Although I have to say that my Hungarian is too weak to do so (and to understand it...). But I did this with French, and it helped me tremendously to understand why the language was like this, and not another way.

So : History, mythology, ethymology and of course,music. Let's not forget that ! I found also some exercices in law vocabulary... might be interessant. There are the the "international" equivalent, and the hungarian word for it. Pretty interesting.

referendum ---> népszvazás
legális ------> törvény szerinti
deklaratív ---> mégallápitó
parlament ----> törvényhozó testület

Well for Croatian, I think it will suffice to say that I will first start learning the language :). Music and party will have a great role in my language progress, I think :)

Kisfröccs

Edited by Kisfroccs on 07 December 2011 at 2:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 267
07 December 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I like the team name 'jäŋe'.

I've posted my list for 2012 on the ne nur thread. Relevant bits for this team are Russian (my secondary focus, after Japanese), and enough Hungarian to properly enjoy my vegan Hungarian cookbooks.

I'll try to control wanderlust with regards to Finnish and Northern Saami (not to mention brushing up my Polish); we'll see.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 13 of 267
08 December 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
It's nice to see that the proposed motto has been well-received. I guess that it's not too much of a stretch to turn the song's spirit into something useful for building a team.

For the team's name, *ledús / *jäŋe is ahead with 3 votes. Because it's still early days though, there's still time for others to sign up and who may like to give some input. By Dec. 31 at the latest we'll be flying under one name or another.

I'm pretty sure that we're all old enough to direct our learning efforts and so I (if not others) see this team-based approach as a somewhat structured way to vent, clarify things in a target language or bounce off ideas and links with a handful of fairly like-minded people. The "annihilation" (nitpick: "total annihilation" suggests redundancy since "annihilation" already refers to total destruction) part doesn't really apply to my plans.

Whether one updates exclusively in this thread or creates one-lined posts here that just redirect to one's existing log (or even to a new log with "TAC 2012" and the team's name in the title) doesn't seem as important as studying at least one Balto-Slavonic or Finno-Ugric language.

Zsófi, I'm amused that you like the etymological aspect when learning a language. At least I can now narrow down my choices about whom it was who voted for my preceding post in the thread ;-)

I'll keep you in mind whenever I post anything about etymology in subsequent log entries and try to squeeze in references to Hungarian :-).

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 14 of 267
08 December 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea about the word 'language' as name

2) Team inźuH / ńälmä

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5169 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 15 of 267
08 December 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Zsófi, I'm amused that you like the etymological aspect when learning a language. At least I can now narrow down my choices about whom it was who voted for my preceding post in the thread ;-)

Ah ah, no Chung, it's not me who voted, but I could have ;) It's interesting enough what you post, and often I wish that I would unterstand Nothern Saami to follow correctly your posts. :)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 16 of 267
08 December 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:
Chung wrote:

Ah ah, no Chung, it's not me who voted, but I could have ;) It's interesting enough what you post, and often I wish that I would unterstand Nothern Saami to follow correctly your posts. :)

The mystery voter was me. I also found it interesting and often vote for your interesting posts about Northern Saami too.

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version