Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 153 of 267
26 December 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
As my study efforts in 2013 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Finnish, Hungarian, Northern Saami and Ukrainian (The respective team threads for Polish, Czech and Slovak (and Turkish) have information on my plans for those languages).

For Finnish, I plan to continue working with "Kuulostaa hyvältä" and at my current pace should be finished by the middle of the 2013. I'm not sure what I will do next be it to go for the more structured path by working through Vol. 2 of "Finnish for Foreigners" or just use more authentic materials (e.g. short YouTube clips, short stories) (or even quasi-authentic material such as Ymmärrä suomea!, Finnish Graded Reader or Selkouutiset) and work on closing gaps in my knowledge of Finnish with native speakers' help and independent reading of reference material as these gaps are revealed by taking in these materials.

My plan for 2012 was to involve working primarily with "Kuulostaa hyvältä" and Supisuomea but I ended up not using too much of the latter. I also attended Finnish classes regularly and plan to continue attending them in the new year.

For Hungarian, I plan to treat it somewhat similarly to how I'm working on Slovak (see here). In practical terms, I'm setting a goal where I am to read a text from "Hungarian Graded Reader" and complete its exercises every two weeks. I wish that I could work more on Hungarian but I found that trying to work on it as much as I've been on Finnish by doing DLI Hungarian took more time than I was willing to consecrate and I reluctantly had to let Hungarian get crowded out by other languages.

My plan for 2012 was to involve working primarily with "eMagyarul1 and eMagyarul2 but for the reasons above had to break from this plan.

My plans for Northern Saami are also similar to those for Slovak where I'm aiming to work on it at a low pace. I've set a goal where I aim to complete one chapter of Davvin 3 every month. It seems like a long time and I may increase the frequency later if I find that I'm not retaining enough material in the interim. On the other hand, I haven't worked very much on Northern Saami since the spring and so doing something at even this low pace is progress.

For 2012 I did my part with the language by completing the first two volumes of the "Davvin" series. However I stopped active study in March after having finished work in Davvin 2 and only revisited the language in passing on the fall on starting work on that comparative guide of Uralic languages. I also encouraged others to learn at least a bit of Northern Saami most notably by devising a primer to the rudiments of the language for hribecek and Kafea.

The plan for Ukrainian is to finish "Teach Yourself Ukrainian" and at my current pace I should be finished with it by the end of January 2013. I'm not sure what I will do next be it to take the more structured approach by getting back into "Modern Ukrainian" or just use more authentic materials (e.g. short YouTube clips, short stories/children's tales) and work on closing gaps in my knowledge of the language with my teacher's help and independent reading of reference material as these gaps are revealed by using that authentic material. My classes in Ukrainian will provide some input thus relieving somewhat the need to come up with a plan that's dominated by efforts of self-studying.

My initial goal in 2012 was to use "Beginner's Ukrainian with Teach Yourself Ukrainian acting only as a supplement. As it turns out, I came to rely on Teach Yourself Ukrainian as the main course because I ended up having less time than expected, and even then only got going in Ukrainian during the summer. Of course, having classes to attend has also compensated somewhat for the low amount of independent study that I've done so far for the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4177 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 154 of 267
30 December 2012 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Is there still room in this team?
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 155 of 267
30 December 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing yes.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 156 of 267
30 December 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Bbcatcher 08 wrote:

Isten hozott!

It's up to Chung to add you officially to the list, but I'm certain you'll be very welcome in our team.

It's great to have so many fellow Hungarian students in the team this year.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 157 of 267
30 December 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Bbcatcher 08 wrote:

Sure, always room for another.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 158 of 267
30 December 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Here's a short introduction of me. I joined this team for TAC 2013 because I'll be studying Finnish. I studied it for the most part of 2012 but in the last few months I neglected it more and more in favor of Korean. Korean will be my main language in 2013 as well and I hope that the support and encouragement of this team won't let me drop Finnish completely (like I am sometimes tempted to do).

My goals for Finnish for 2013 are not high. I'm aiming for passive skills, not active skills. I'll try to keep up with Anki and read at least two articles in Easy News per week and listen to the radio at least 2 hours per month. Anything on top of that will be a bonus. Maybe I'll find the energy to continue with Teach Yourself Finnish.

Good luck to everyone!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 159 of 267
30 December 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 160 of 267
31 December 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Update for Finnish, Polish and Ukrainian

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version