United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 25 of 267
14 December 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
I think I'm settling on a Finnish study plan -- I'm using Selkouutiset which I also download as a podcast, and I can also translate using a dictionary from the website. This doesn't take too long, and it's something I'm managing to get in even when I have other paid work to take care of. I also have copied all of the Facebook Finnish Sentence of the Day sentences into Anki and I'm working on these, Finnish to English.   Maybe I'll be a little bit input-oriented for a bit here, and see how this goes.    I think I can commit myself to doing something with this site every day. Either reading, listening or translating -- that and keeping on top of my Anki backlog.

I seem oddly fascinated by the European debt crisis, so I seem extra motivated to read up on this -- even if the stories are mostly a bit wishy-washy 'everything is going to be alright' type stuff.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 26 of 267
16 December 2011 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
I'm still undecided about how exactly to continue in Finnish as I have a few options falling under the paths of either working on the relatively unfamiliar colloquial Finnish or sticking with standard Finnish. I'm not sure if I'll have quite as much time in the winter for studying since I'll be juggling a couple of courses with my regular job but I'll do what I can. Joining a 6-week challenge or something similar doesn't look likely.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 27 of 267
16 December 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Yeah I have 'actual work' which keeps getting in the way also.   I'm not even sure how to study colloquial Finnish, since everthing available is for the written language, it seems.   I do have some Finnish stentences with what I believe are colloquial, but so far it's mostly abbreviations of pronouns.    I did have a Finnish guy in a chat room show me some Finnish abbreviations for numbers, of all things -- so even the numbers get shortened for speech, it seems.

My thinking right now is to just ignore this, and learn as much as I can just of the written language.   I don't see much point to a 6 week challenge. I'm more looking for the 6-year challenge, really.   I'd really like to find some movie DVD's with Finnish subtitles, because I think this would be fun.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 28 of 267
16 December 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Chung, I have a task for you, if you wish to take it. No problem if you don’t want to but I thought you might like to do it as it might help to refresh your Northern Saami vocabulary a tiny bit.

This is my wanderlust list for Northern Saami and probably other languages eventually. I intend to learn all of these words or phrases plus a few more of your choosing. So if you want to, please could you translate all of these words into Northern Saami for me. I know very well that sometimes it will need more than a simple translation (because the languages are so different) and an explanation of some finer point will be necessary and that will be interesting for me too.

It’s just for a bit of fun and might be good for team spirit!

Language
Ice
Hello (everybody)
Goodbye
Thank you
Good luck!
Welcome!
Numbers 1-10
Have fun/enjoy it!
Good
Bad
Funny
Interesting
Important
Easy
Difficult
Big
Small
Very
Stupid
I like it!
Yes
No
Maybe
Happy birthday!
When?
Where?
What?
Why?
How?
How are you?
I’m fine.
Where are you from?
I’m from…
I don’t know
Animal
Dog
Cat
Mountain
Forest
Nature
Town
Country
Penguin
Book
Food
Drink
Man
Woman
Person
I love you
Of course
A few more important words or phrases of your choosing.
Present tense conjugation for verbs in all persons – Study/learn, want, go, be, have, like, listen, read, speak, write.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 29 of 267
17 December 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Hey, hey, hey! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not even Christmas yet, let alone New Year's Day!

On one hand, I could do some digging to get about 95% of the stuff that you want in your list. On the other, I'm not sure if you'd learn that much and so I'm thinking of a way so that you can learn a bit by doing rather than passively taking in what I find, *mwahahaha*. I'll have something ready for you in a few weeks. Don't you worry.

In case anyone else is following this post: I think that every person on the team should be free to satisfy his/her wanderlust for one of the languages of a team member as he/she sees fit. This is not at all a shot at hribecek but I don't want others to feel pressured into doing things as we'll be doing them.

I'm planning on satisfying the Russian "requirement" (courtesy Volte) by working through some primer or list of phrases made for the Peace Corps or DLI. I admit though that this is quite convenient and if I were to try to "get a taste" of a rare or low-profile language that is poor in learning materials, I'd need to think harder.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 30 of 267
17 December 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
You're right, it would be more effective if you set me a task, it would be really fun for me too! I was really just trying to think of a way to involve you in my wanderlust, it wasn't laziness if that's what you think. :))) I'm really looking forward to this task.

I also meant it as a task for the new year but should have made that clear too.

As you say, I in no way want to put pressure on others. It's just my own plan to study Northern Saami, Croatian, Finnish and Russian and who knows what else in this way.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 31 of 267
18 December 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Yeah that's cool. Honestly, I don't have much temptation from wanderlust, I think I"m reasonably focused on Finnish and Japanese, really. When I was on Japanese only, I did dabble in German now and then, but now with Japanese and Finnish, well, that's all my brain can handle.   But I'm always interested in seeing seeing what you guys come up with. Hmm, I had to look this one up for Finnish...

Penguin=pingviini

I have this on one my Finnish flash cards.

Pitäkää hauskaa! (Have Fun you non-singular people)
Pidä hauskaa¡ (Have fun, you singular person.)

Oh and let me see.   tatoeba.org has

Onnea! for good luck.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 32 of 267
18 December 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Yeah that's cool. Honestly, I don't have much temptation from wanderlust, I think I"m reasonably focused on Finnish and Japanese, really. When I was on Japanese only, I did dabble in German now and then, but now with Japanese and Finnish, well, that's all my brain can handle.   But I'm always interested in seeing seeing what you guys come up with. Hmm, I had to look this one up for Finnish...

Penguin=pingviini

I have this on one my Finnish flash cards.

Pitäkää hauskaa! (Have Fun you non-singular people)
Pidä hauskaa¡ (Have fun, you singular person.)

Oh and let me see.   tatoeba.org has

Onnea! for good luck.

Hi Cathrnym
I'm sure I'll be needing these words reasonably soon, maybe in May or earlier.

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version