20 December 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Update for Northern Saami, Polish, Ukrainian and Slovak
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 226 of 267
21 December 2013 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I posted in the poll that I would be signing, but figured I should introduce myself here. I'll be studying Hungarian for 2014, though I marked myself as an observer because I'll be focusing mostly on passive skills and Hungarian isn't my #1 priority so if I'm too busy to keep up all my language studies it might get put on hold. However I plan on studying Hungarian every day, and pretty sure that at least for the first half of the year I'll be able to maintain my studies.

Here's my new log of Hungarian along with several other languages I'm studying this year.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37588&PN=1

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 227 of 267
21 December 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I've updated the roster to show mick33's and YnEoS' logs

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 228 of 267
21 December 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
If I got it right, this is where I'm supposed to post the link to my log. Here it is:

Expug's
All at On(c)e Log

I'm not starting Estonian right after the new year's eve, but I still hope this happens
in a couple of months. Therefore, I want to keep my decision of joining as an active
member. I am interested in several other languages related to this team as well. Except
for Russian, for which I've joined its exclusive team.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 229 of 267
26 December 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
Update for Finnish, Ukrainian and Slovak.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 230 of 267
27 December 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
As my study efforts in 2013 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Finnish, Hungarian, Northern Saami and Ukrainian (The respective team threads for Polish, Czech and Slovak (and Turkish) have information on my plans for those languages).

For Finnish, I plan to continue working with "Kuulostaa hyvältä" and at my current pace should be finished by the middle of the 2013. I'm not sure what I will do next be it to go for the more structured path by working through Vol. 2 of "Finnish for Foreigners" or just use more authentic materials (e.g. short YouTube clips, short stories) (or even quasi-authentic material such as Ymmärrä suomea!, Finnish Graded Reader or Selkouutiset) and work on closing gaps in my knowledge of Finnish with native speakers' help and independent reading of reference material as these gaps are revealed by taking in these materials.

My plan for 2012 was to involve working primarily with "Kuulostaa hyvältä" and Supisuomea but I ended up not using too much of the latter. I also attended Finnish classes regularly and plan to continue attending them in the new year.

For Hungarian, I plan to treat it somewhat similarly to how I'm working on Slovak (see here). In practical terms, I'm setting a goal where I am to read a text from "Hungarian Graded Reader" and complete its exercises every two weeks. I wish that I could work more on Hungarian but I found that trying to work on it as much as I've been on Finnish by doing DLI Hungarian took more time than I was willing to consecrate and I reluctantly had to let Hungarian get crowded out by other languages.

My plan for 2012 was to involve working primarily with "eMagyarul1 and eMagyarul2 but for the reasons above had to break from this plan.

My plans for Northern Saami are also similar to those for Slovak where I'm aiming to work on it at a low pace. I've set a goal where I aim to complete one chapter of Davvin 3 every month. It seems like a long time and I may increase the frequency later if I find that I'm not retaining enough material in the interim. On the other hand, I haven't worked very much on Northern Saami since the spring and so doing something at even this low pace is progress.

For 2012 I did my part with the language by completing the first two volumes of the "Davvin" series. However I stopped active study in March after having finished work in Davvin 2 and only revisited the language in passing on the fall on starting work on that comparative guide of Uralic languages. I also encouraged others to learn at least a bit of Northern Saami most notably by devising a primer to the rudiments of the language for hribecek and Kafea.

The plan for Ukrainian is to finish "Teach Yourself Ukrainian" and at my current pace I should be finished with it by the end of January 2013. I'm not sure what I will do next be it to take the more structured approach by getting back into "Modern Ukrainian" or just use more authentic materials (e.g. short YouTube clips, short stories/children's tales) and work on closing gaps in my knowledge of the language with my teacher's help and independent reading of reference material as these gaps are revealed by using that authentic material. My classes in Ukrainian will provide some input thus relieving somewhat the need to come up with a plan that's dominated by efforts of self-studying.

My initial goal in 2012 was to use "Beginner's Ukrainian with Teach Yourself Ukrainian acting only as a supplement. As it turns out, I came to rely on Teach Yourself Ukrainian as the main course because I ended up having less time than expected, and even then only got going in Ukrainian during the summer. Of course, having classes to attend has also compensated somewhat for the low amount of independent study that I've done so far for the language.

Since this has been posted, I note that my record has been mixed.

For Finnish, I did indeed finish "Kuulostaa hyvältä" (see here) and after trying to use FSI Conversational Finnish, found a bit of a groove restarting "Finnish for Foreigners" going back to Chapter 35 of the first volume (see here). I didn't really get into much authentic material or FSI Finnish Graded Reader, unfortunately. See here for my plans in 2014.

For Hungarian, I stopped studying it after the summer (last entry was in August) having read only 9 selections of FSI Hungarian Graded Reader. Looking back, a combination of working on BCMS/SC, then the subtle intensification of efforts in Turkish and Ukrainian, and finally the loss of eMagyarul as a supplement took Hungarian out of the mix. For 2014, I have no plans to go back to Hungarian since I'll have my hands full with the other languages.

I am happy to report that I've practically accomplished my modest goal for Northern Saami as I am about to finish the last chapter of Davvin 3 and will post closing comments for the language before the year is over. As with Hungarian, I don't intend to study Northern Saami in 2014 even though all that remains on my shelf for formal textbooks is the fourth and final volume of Davvin.

Finally I'm more or less where I expected myself to be with Ukrainian. After having finished "Teach Yourself Ukrainian" in January I've been working with "Modern Ukrainian" ever since. As of now I am on Chapter 12 (of 20), and added "Beginner's Ukrainian" to my "curriculum" in November to take advantage of its many exercises and drills. See here for my plans for the language in 2014.

---

With the near-certainty of the disbandment of Team Kofola as of Jan. 1, 2014, I will briefly describe below my plans for Slovak in 2014. See here for a summary of my progress with language in 2012 and 2013.

I will continue to work on Slovak at a reduced level. For the time being I plan to continue compiling a list of aspectual pairs of Slovak verbs with the help of dictionaries. Only after I have completed this task to my satisfaction will I return to my gradual study using "Hovorme spolu po slovensky "B" Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk".

I will be quite busy in the rest of the winter and don't expect to be able to study as much as I have in the previous two years. This also means that updating my log as frequently as I have recently doesn't seem likely in the upcoming weeks.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 231 of 267
30 December 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Update for Finnish, Northern Saami, Polish and Slovak

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 232 of 267
01 January 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
So, would you like me here as an observer? ;) Since I breathe with Croatian, Slovene and Russian (not mentioning Polish, of course)... well, I can be useful :D

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 267 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version