United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5921 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 1 of 25
06 December 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
As a language learner is it wrong to find foreign accents amusing/funny? I get a kick out of it, and I'm actually disapointed when I meet all the foreigners who speak English really well with little or no accent.

inspired by this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSYq4aj7ik&feature=related

lol
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris Ford
Groupie
United States
Joined 4544 days ago

65 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 2 of 25
06 December 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
A lot of people are sensitive about it, which makes sense when you consider how much effort it takes to learn a new language. I think most people would be better off if they could get over that though, because accents are funny, and one of the most interesting things about language learning. Incidentally, that video is hilarious and also adorable :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4857 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 3 of 25
06 December 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Do you like this? How much can you understand?
фром май харт

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5921 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 

Message 4 of 25
06 December 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
фром май харт

LOL. Yes!

Something about it is so heartwarming. : )

..and I understood everything he said. Well done sir.

Alanjazz
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4616 days ago

65 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 5 of 25
06 December 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
This is more to do with accents in languages other than English... I have to admit, I am slightly embarassed
surrounding this issue on two accounts.

The first, is that I find Cuban Spanish hilarious. I studied at college with some Cuban students, and speaking to
them in Spanish, I am shocked at how insanely different their slang and accent is from Spain Spanish or
Colombian Spanish... their slang sounds like this creole of Brazilian Portuguese and a number of African
languages. So, for some reason, this slang, along with the intensity of their S-dropping, makes me laugh.
Probably because I feel shocked that is it still the same language.

The second, is that I find Québec French to be very cute in a way that some people might see as patronizing.
Having studied France French, listening to Québecois is so strange, it sounds like someone from the south of the
US having a perfect French vocabulary with some key nouns changed out...

I don't know if anyone else has found these accents funny. I guess nothing to be embarrassed about, really...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 25
06 December 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
фром май харт
as a football fan i've heard of this many times, but never listened... LOL but i expected it to be worse.

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5921 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 

Message 7 of 25
06 December 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Alanjazz wrote:

The first, is that I find Cuban Spanish hilarious. I studied at college with some Cuban students, and speaking to
them in Spanish, I am shocked at how insanely different their slang and accent is from Spain Spanish or
Colombian Spanish... their slang sounds like this creole of Brazilian Portuguese and a number of African
languages. So, for some reason, this slang, along with the intensity of their S-dropping, makes me laugh.
Probably because I feel shocked that is it still the same language.

Not just cubans, but all carribean hispanics fit into this category. : )

Alanjazz wrote:

The second, is that I find Québec French to be very cute in a way that some people might see as patronizing.
Having studied France French, listening to Québecois is so strange, it sounds like someone from the south of the
US having a perfect French vocabulary with some key nouns changed out...

I don't know if anyone else has found these accents funny. I guess nothing to be embarrassed about, really...

I am mystified by Quebec french. It's fascinating to me...to the point where I sometimes listen with my mouth wide open in amazement that it's their natural way of speaking.

especially the way they pronounce the sound "in" in words like "cochon d'inde", or "pain".

and the way they pronounce words like "là" , "ça" , and "pas".

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7022 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 25
06 December 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Funny! Unbelievably so, that I start to decipher where is the accent from. I am aware some people are sensitive about the subject. It is not in criticizing others, but in jest. I even make fun of myself when I learn and it takes away the self consciousness of being embarrassed.

One funny story I tried to speak English to an Italian man and he wanted me to slow down. I did and he still could not understand. My reply was I am going to speak in Spanish, but with an Italian accent.
Suffice it to say, he understood my Spanish and had quite the chuckle with my exaggerated Italian accent.

I would think some members unknowingly imitate accents, hoping the other speaker understands them better. It does matter on the situation and intent.

Edited by alang on 06 December 2011 at 11:38pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version