116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 14 15 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 81 of 116
17 November 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
tarvos wrote:
I did not know that the FSI had changed in the
meanwhile. I also have never used Pimsleur.

I'm not sure it has, I just assume it has, because I'd assume they'd be up to date with
the latest research in second-language acquisition. Pimsleur's just one example. I've
also used Michel Thomas and Assimil, but by their very nature, these products don't let
you be creative and deviate from the language presented.

I don't always use Assimil as intended though. I just see it as bilingual graded
readers and I do the translations but I don't drill the sentences in Anki or anything.
I just let that flow. I also often dispense with parts of the active wave if I feel it
is unnecessary.

Michel Thomas I have no experience with.

Quote:
Anyway, here's an interesting talking-cure/">blog post from Scott Thornbury about his 90 minute conversation
sessions in Spanish with a non-teacher. I think the key aspect is the note taking and
subsequent feedback, rather than just the conversation itself.

Feedback is the most important thing and that is why I enjoy 1-on-1 tutoring. The best
tutor I have had in that regard so far was my Russian teacher, and which is why I have
been able to systematically work on improving that language for a long time. I am doing
the same thing with my French right now. You can get feedback in a classroom situation,
of course, but it becomes very contrived for the most part, especially with students
that study at different speeds.

I tend to be someone who works ahead and knows the answer first to everything which
means that within 3 minutes of a class I will get bored and want to watch the time tick
by. That's why I prefer tailored tutoring 1-on-1 because the material can be
personalized to my interests as well (general classrooms use more general topics which
is usually zzzz if I just want to discuss football or nuclear energy or mosasaurs.)

Edited by tarvos on 17 November 2013 at 8:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3959 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 82 of 116
17 November 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I agree, but I'm yet to see anyone in class making a proper effort when the teacher isn't listening. They will speak quietly or pronounce things much more similarly to their native language (sometimes to faciliate the fellow learner's understanding). When making dialogues, the content is often discussed in the students' native language too. I think self-talk is much more productive than this sort of thing.

Really? In my classes, I always make an effort to check whether the people on the other side of the room are on task, and I find that they almost always are. I don't really understand what you mean by "making dialogues" though. I might give the students a framework or starter for a conversation, but writing a dialogue and practising it is something I would only ever do with absolute beginners, because it's not real communication, it's just a fluency exercise. In my experience, give the students something to talk about that they find interesting, and the only L1 they'll use is occasionally to ask each other for a translation.
Then how do they learn the vocabulary? By doing translations?

Very rarely. There are a number of ways new vocabulary will come up. Most obviously would be in reading or listening tasks. In conversations, the student will often not know the word for something, but will then describe what they mean using other words (an important skill in itself) and I'll tell them the word they need. Another common method is for the teacher to simply offer a word that is more appropriate for their needs. So for example, the student has written a ghost story and included the line "the man walked across the dark room." Nothing wrong there, but it would be a good opportunity to introduce the word "crept" to them, which then requires minimal explanation, because the student already knows what they're communicating.

In terms of practising newly learned vocab, there's a huge amount of possibilities here. Let's imagine, for example, we're learning phrases that we can use to react to good or bad news. So they've initially appeared in a listening exercise, we've briefly drilled them, perhaps drawing particular attention to an aspect of pronunciation we're focusing on today. Now at this stage, you could in theory get them to open the listening script and practice it in pairs, but as you say, it would be incredibly tedious and not at all creative. They could write a dialogue about someone getting some news using the phrases and read it out to the class, which would be a vaguely creative use of the language, but not a very realistic use of English, and not involve any real communication. Or you can get them to think of some real good or bad news they've had recently in their own lives and get them to tell this to other students, who would then be encouraged to react using the phrases that we've learnt previously, but otherwise carry on the conversation as normal. It might even be that you do one of the more controlled activities before this to give them some more practice, but this free conversation should be the bulk of the lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3959 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 83 of 116
17 November 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Feedback is the most important thing and that is why I enjoy 1-on-1 tutoring. The best
tutor I have had in that regard so far was my Russian teacher, and which is why I have
been able to systematically work on improving that language for a long time. I am doing
the same thing with my French right now. You can get feedback in a classroom situation,
of course, but it becomes very contrived for the most part, especially with students
that study at different speeds.

I tend to be someone who works ahead and knows the answer first to everything which
means that within 3 minutes of a class I will get bored and want to watch the time tick
by. That's why I prefer tailored tutoring 1-on-1 because the material can be
personalized to my interests as well (general classrooms use more general topics which
is usually zzzz if I just want to discuss football or nuclear energy or mosasaurs.)

This might not interest you if you're not a teacher, but Dogme Language Teaching is basically what you just described tailored to a classroom setting. It's something I've been implementing in my own classroom and relies on the students to provide the majority of the language for the lesson, rather than the more traditional way of the teacher coming to class with some language that he expects them to learn by the end. It's a far more reactive method of teaching, offering students language as they need it, pointing out structures that the students might not have noticed, and building activities around things that have come up in conversation. It's surprisingly effective. I've had elementary level students having hour-long conversations about things they thought they'd struggle to speak about for 1 minute previously.

I think another often-ignored aspect of learning is the opportunity to try again. It's all well and good to get feedback, but it means nothing if you don't then get to apply it. This is an area where the classroom can help students to do this without getting too bored, because you can have the constantly loop of conversation - feedback - new partner. So you can have the same conversation 5 times and not get bored, because it's not actually the same conversation, it's simply the same subject, and each time your partner has something different to say and slightly different questions to ask you. But you're getting better and better at your side of the conversation, because you're constantly tweaking and improving with the help of the teacher and even your fellow students.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5216 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 84 of 116
17 November 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I think that @I'm with stupid is doing a brillant job defending the idea that the classroom can be an effective place
of learning. I have nothing to add. Just the whole idea of painting all language classes with the same brush makes
my blood boil.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4076 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 85 of 116
17 November 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
It obviously depends on the teacher/lecturer/professor as well. From secondary school
up
until university (postgradaute), I have only had two modules wherein the lecturer had a
teaching style that helped me tremendously and wherein I succeeded; this was in
university (undergraduate) for differential equations, and also nonlinear dynamics.

The rest of lecturers I had, including foreign languages and every other module in
secondary school, undergradute, and postgraduate, I thought were not very outstanding.
For example, in Spanish, I was around fourteen years old when after two years of
Spanish, only then was the imperfect indicate introducted; too slow for me. So
obviously I prefer self-study. If I enroled in a foreign language module wherein the
lecturer were like that D.E. lecturer, then my opinion would probably change. As
previously aforementioned, the problem is to find a class wherein the lecturer and
class set-up are very good and corresponding to one's learning style. For me this has
insofar not happened.

Also the finance matters. If one has to pay €1000 for a class, and one's financial
situation has changed into worrying about having enough food for the family, self-study
is almost always more sensical.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 November 2013 at 11:02pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4451 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 86 of 116
17 November 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Are there people here at HTLAL who suggest that the CFSI would do better to scrap all those
language classes, hand out Assimil courses and tell people to come back when they feel"fluent" in the language?

I'm sure there are, but they are probably afraid to answer. Putting FSI up against Assimil is a no-brainer.
In terms of healthy language learning Assimil wins. It's like running daily and attending a fitness club VS those extreme diets that ruin your health.

What's a "healthy" language learning method? I mean, I am with you in that I'm far from being among those who enjoy "drill" activities in my learning, but if some people do enjoy it or at least feel it is worth the boredom, more power to them, I guess.

Edited by tastyonions on 17 November 2013 at 11:18pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 87 of 116
17 November 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think that @I'm with stupid is doing a brillant job defending the
idea that the classroom can be an effective place
of learning. I have nothing to add. Just the whole idea of painting all language
classes with the same brush makes
my blood boil.

I've had the experience that very little classroom activity of anything has helped me
develop my skills. Languages included. If you put someone in a classroom and make it a
full-time job, no shit they'll learn. If you use remotely useful activities people will
even hit your targets. But whether it is enjoyable or efficacious enough is a question
open to debate.

I have yet to see a single class that has taught me things I care about now.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4408 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 88 of 116
17 November 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Why does learning always have to be enjoyable? Sometimes sheer grind is the best way forward and that
isn't always fun.

I always associate "language classes" with adults voluntarily signing up for a course. That means they are
motivated and have a reason to learn. If they can meet like-minded people and get expert advice from a tutor,
that can only be a good thing. School classes often involve herding kids into a room and trying to teach them
a language they aren't remotely interested in and one they know they will never use. I would imagine that
being a school language teacher can often be a totally draining and demoralising experience. Okay, you'll get
a few who are interested and the academic top-end who would willingly study the phone book if you placed it
in front of them, but the reality is that most of your charges won't give a damn.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version