4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 41 of 116
13 December 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
really, repeating the mistake? :O

Not every time.

The point is that every time you correct the same mistake it should be less and less obvious.

If they don't understand the language point in question, I explain it.

Sometimes I might make a joke of what they've said (particularly amusing when you mix up boyfriend and girlfriend, son and father, my wife and your wife).

Then I move to indicating the mistake directly -- which sometimes means repeating the mistake, yes.

But I don't do this a lot, because what I'm actually doing is training the student to anticipate my corrections -- I'm conditioning a new reaction to the error.

I proceed to make the correction vaguer and vaguer, because the student's own reaction to the error is getting stronger and stronger, so needs less prompting from me.

When you can just twitch slightly and someone corrects their own mistakes, you know you're getting somewhere -- that mistake will be completely gone soon enough.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Domi333
Tetraglot
Australia
Joined 4925 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Creole (French), Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Ancient Greek

Message 42 of 116
31 October 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I know this is an old thread but I felt like contributing.

I studied French at high school and in a private class on Saturdays. The standard on Saturdays was much higher, I don't believe that had French continued at high school people would have advanced that much. Having a private class where people came from a French-speaking country (Mauritius) raised the bar (we had a French girl in too for a few years).

I know there's been a lot of 'language classes are pointless' discussion on polyglot blogs and forums but I can still remember my French rules which were drilled into me on Saturdays (e.g. Conditional tense, si j'etais plus sage, je serais moins paresseux, hehe)

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 43 of 116
31 October 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
You are not alone. I took French for interest through high school. The experience had not been positive. In a class
of about 30, less than 10% spoke French outside the classroom. The teacher didn't think this was an issue as long
as assignments were handed in and we got good test scores.

If I had a choice, I'd drop French which was an elective for something else like Economics which is also an elective.

The only way to learn a language is to take it outside the classroom. Everyday or time permitting, put on radio, TV
programs and movies in your target language. At first you need TV programs & movies with subtitles. Stop to look
up words and put it on a list on paper or the computer. Run through the list from time to time to refresh your
memory.

Take an immersion course if possible to focus on communication. The other choice is to go to places where your
target language is spoken on an exchange program. Stay there long enough and away from your own circle of
friends who speaks English or 1 that is not your target language.

In my younger days everybody thought some people are naturally gifted. This is true to some extent but the rest
of us can also benefit by being exposed to the language like a child learning to speak before writing a single
word.

Although my mother-tongue is Chinese, I am more fluent in English. The past year I spent half as much time
watching TV in English and the other half Chinese videos with subtitles. When I come across a word or phrase I'd
look it up and put it on my list. The other day I came across 2 Chinese terms (both loan words). The first I've seen
before: 脱口秀 tuōkǒuxiù for someone in a TV talk show. The phonetics "tuōkǒu" sounds like "talk" and the other
sounds like "show". The other term was UFO or flying saucer. The Chinese term is: 幽浮 yōufú. Yōu sounds like U
and the other sounds like "fo".

In a language class you learn a set of fixed responses that you would start a greeting with "Hello, how are you",
"I'm fine, thank you and you?". In a Chinese phrase book you'd see 你好 nǐhǎo or in a French book "Bonjour". The
Chinese radio show I listen to involve real dialog but tend to begin not with 你好 (singular) but in the plural 大家好
dàjiāhǎo for "Hello everyone" or "How is everybody?". And a common phrase would come up before the end of the
show "以下的广播节目内容全属嘉宾意见, 与本台立场无关" which roughly translates into English as "the views
expressed in the following program are those of our sponsors and do not necessarily reflect those of this station".
This is as predictable as you'd get in a radio program.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alamo Joe
United States
Joined 3846 days ago

17 posts - 31 votes

Message 44 of 116
03 November 2013 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Language classes work if you supplement them with self-study sessions. The classes can be the foundation to language learning by teaching proper grammar, pronunciation, and expression and understanding through group conversation. Classroom time is limited, so it's up to the students to build on that foundation and continue working on the language on their own time. A lot of that can be learned without enrolling in a language school, but it's probably a better way to get a solid grounding in a language than through self-study. I think that's especially true with tonal languages. It's important to get feedback early on so that common mistakes can be corrected before they become fossilized, as some of you have already alluded to. But nowadays with the internet and VOIP so popular it's probably just as easy to find a native speaker for a language partner and get feedback on your target language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5211 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 45 of 116
10 November 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I never quite got the 'language classes don't work' thing.

I learned Korean, for the first 2 years, exclusively through language classes, and (my
estimate) I was pushing basic fluency around then (2010).

The better question is 'what kind of classes?'

I took 20 hours a week in a class with Japanese and Chinese students, in which no one
would ever utter a word of French or English.
I did homework for about 2 hours every day, excluding the weekends.

There were other factors, sure: watching TV, talking with friends, speaking with
strangers on the internet, being in the country, etc. But at no point did I take out a
book and do exercises, or 'study' anything outside of the given curriculum.

And now look- I just finished a 5 hour Skype conversation/debate with this Korean
college student I met online, after which he told me that he thought I was a native
speaker. Not a perfect foreigner, not a very good speaker, not a very natural speaker.
He said he honestly believed I was a native Korean speaker. Okay, that doesn't mean at
all that I am, but to me it means that there was something to the way I learned. And in
the way I learned, my time spent in classes played a large part.

So if I assume that the unequivocal capital 'NOT' of the thread title means that as a
rule, language classes do not work, I wished to present my exception.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 46 of 116
10 November 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it's wrong to over-generalise I think.

And the fact is that for most people, until relatively recently, there weren't many
other realistic options.

I did my first German study via lessons at work at lunchtimes, which my then employer
generously provided. Luckily the class size was small, so it was often not far short of
one-to-one with the teacher.

I then went on to an evening class, which also didn't have a massive class size, and
managed to pass a GCSE exam with a good grade, without really knowing how little I
knew, and how little speaking practice I'd actually had. I didn't really know much
about language learning in those days, and it was (just) pre-internet. Actually, the
internet existed, and I had access to it, but it wasn't like it is now, with resources
practically jumping out at you. But anyway, it was not all bad, and there was quite a
lot of good in it. And I've also had quite good experiences in French and Italian
evening classes.

But of course, on their own, they are not enough.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4408 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 47 of 116
10 November 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Language classes most certainly DO work. But like any other learning method or resource, they don't provide
all the answers.

Domi333
Tetraglot
Australia
Joined 4925 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Creole (French), Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Ancient Greek

Message 48 of 116
11 November 2013 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
One-to-one and small classes provide a greater focus and work with the persons on an individual basis which can be good to work on what areas you might be lacking. My one-to-one Portuguese classes explored Portuguese on a formal textual level of which I had little competence and understanding(edit). I do think I can learn how to work on self-assessment for writing formals texts too though.

montmorency wrote:
Yes, it's wrong to over-generalise I think.

And the fact is that for most people, until relatively recently, there weren't many
other realistic options.

I did my first German study via lessons at work at lunchtimes, which my then employer
generously provided. Luckily the class size was small, so it was often not far short of
one-to-one with the teacher.

I then went on to an evening class, which also didn't have a massive class size, and
managed to pass a GCSE exam with a good grade, without really knowing how little I
knew, and how little speaking practice I'd actually had. I didn't really know much
about language learning in those days, and it was (just) pre-internet. Actually, the
internet existed, and I had access to it, but it wasn't like it is now, with resources
practically jumping out at you. But anyway, it was not all bad, and there was quite a
lot of good in it. And I've also had quite good experiences in French and Italian
evening classes.

But of course, on their own, they are not enough.

Edited by Domi333 on 11 November 2013 at 2:31am

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version